Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-28-2014, 10:46 AM   #1
peyton
Enthusiast
peyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Mini 32GB
coolreader/koreader without fmon

Hi,

I got a mini (FW3.20) for a while and tried advboot to test koreader without "pre launching" nickel.
Problem is, it freeze, i don't know if it's koreader or not)

I would try to use coolreader as i love landscape to read but i don't know how to install it without fmon (i want to keep most of the ressources of the kobo).

Do kobo start menu will do the trick ? I don't really understand how to install it and use cr3 without installing pbchess and fmon..

Thanks
peyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:47 AM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
tshering explained it to me once; all that is needed is to copy the "vlasovsoft" folder into the .kobo directory.

The same for KOreader, you copy over to .kobo the "koreader" folder, from the download zip.

For cr3 you will have to dig , the "vlasovsoft" folder out of the KoboRoot.tgz file inside the download zip file.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 03-28-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2014, 01:53 PM   #3
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by peyton View Post
I would try to use coolreader as i love landscape to read but i don't know how to install it without fmon (i want to keep most of the ressources of the kobo).
Do kobo start menu will do the trick ? I don't really understand how to install it and use cr3 without installing pbchess and fmon..
Thanks
If you have installed the kobo start menu (and if it works; up to now there was no report that somebody is using it with the Mini) and copied the vlasovsoft to .kobo, you would usually start the vlasovsoft launcher via the start menu, and then select Coolreader from the vlasovsoft launcher. If you really want to start cr3 directly from the start menu you can put this script (cr3_landscape.sh) into .kobo/kbmenu/scripts

Code:
#!/bin/sh
root=/mnt/onboard/.kobo/kbmenu
export QT_PLUGIN_PATH=$root/Qt/plugins
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$root/Qt/lib
export QWS_MOUSE_PROTO=KoboTS
export QT_QWS_FONTDIR=$root/Qt/fonts
export QWS_KEYBOARD=KoboKb
QWS_DISPLAY=Transformed:KoboFB:Rot180
/mnt/onboard/.kobo/vlasovsoft/cr3/cr3 -qws
If you select in the start menu "scripts > cr3 landscape.sh," cr3 will be started. Sergey once said that he will include (maybe he already did so, I don't know) some features into cr3 that depend on the launcher. So maybe you have only a limited set of features, if you start it without the launcher.
If it is a question of space, you can delete the content of the vlasovsoft folder except for .kobo/vlasovsoft/cr3/.

Edit: If you install the kobo start menu, advboot will be disabled, and if you install advboot, kobo start menu will be disabled.

Last edited by tshering; 03-28-2014 at 01:58 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:26 PM   #4
peyton
Enthusiast
peyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of light

In fact, it works ! Koreader doesn't save config as with advboot but the launcher works great, i can launch coolreader from vlasovsoft (didn't try the script). Thanks a lot !
Old 03-28-2014, 07:44 PM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
In fact, it works ! Koreader doesn't save config as with advboot but the launcher works great, i can launch coolreader from vlasovsoft (didn't try the script). Thanks a lot !
Not sure what you mean but you can configure KOreader in many ways, almost all the features are implemented using scripts that are human readable and easy to modify.

For instance KOreader is launched from a "koreader_kobo.sh" script file. With the Start Menu, it is the one located at; "/.kobo/kbmenu/onstart.

I like to have Koreader open in the beginning of my ebook files that I keep inside a hidden folder on my external uSD card, so:

I changed the last lines of that .sh file from:

# finally call reader
./reader.lua /mnt/onboard 2> crash.log

to:
# finally call reader
./reader.lua /mnt/sd/.Koreader/Books 2> crash.log

Luck;
Ken
Advert
Old 03-29-2014, 05:07 AM   #6
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
The problem is that launching applications like Koreader or KoboLauncher requires freezing of the Kobo main process, and this is potentially harmful. advboot approach is more safe.

I had some problem with Coolreader too, launched via KoboLauncher. What was your problem in details?

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 03-29-2014 at 05:11 AM.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:46 AM   #7
peyton
Enthusiast

i don't think kobo start menu load after nickel does. It prevents nickel from starting, helps keeping ressources.

My problems are none of the config i made in koreader have effect after relaunch (for instance changing language to French) and it forget my opened book.

i have got that in crash.log :

Quote:
NtxHwCfg_GetCfgFldStrVal:[WARNING]Config version too old !! Please update config file !!

Last edited by peyton; 03-29-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:43 AM   #8
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
i don't think kobo start menu load after nickel does. It prevents nickel from starting, helps keeping ressources.

My problems are none of the config i made in koreader have effect after relaunch (for instance changing language to French) and it forget my opened book.

i have got that in crash.log :
Right, tshering's great "Kobo Start Menu" interrupts the startup process before "the Kobo main process" is started so Nickel is not started, or needed.

What do you get when you select "History" from the top menu, and choose the first book listed? I always get the current book I am reading, on the last page I was on, with all the features/settings as they were.

If you remove the argument for the reader.lua script (so the last lines become:
# finally call reader
./reader.lua 2> crash.log) it defaults to starting in the last opened file.

Luck;
Ken

The problem is being looked into.

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 03-29-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:42 PM   #9
peyton
Enthusiast

It recalled the last book at the right pages when i go from history. I'll try your tips ! Thanks !
Old 03-30-2014, 04:15 AM   #10
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Excuse me, I confused the Start Menu with the Sergey's fmon. It's a very good tool... tshering, you have to advertise more your work!
Old 03-30-2014, 04:30 AM   #11
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
(and if it works; up to now there was no report that somebody is using it with the Mini)
It does At least on my Mini with 2.8.1......

@peyton: Kobo Start Menu is based on fmon, too... Otherwise you won't be able to leave nickle and get back to the Start Menu...

Last edited by uboot; 03-30-2014 at 04:34 AM.
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:26 AM   #12
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

I do not tested it but, for what I read in the source code, it seems that you can start the Start Menu at boot _instead_ of nickel.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:38 AM   #13
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
Yup. And from within start menu, you may fire up nickel. And from within nickel, you may get back to start menu. And the latter is done via fmon.
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:15 AM   #14
peyton
Enthusiast

I don't understand why do i have to get the png at root folders ? I never used them, i switch off the kobo under nickel to run it from scratch on kobo start menu. Are those necessary to keep ? (png files from kobo start installation in root folder)
Old 03-30-2014, 12:28 PM   #15
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
I think you can safely remove the folder kbmenupngs from the device, if you don't want to use any of the functionalities which are triggered via the png files.

Quote:
... I never used them, i switch off the kobo under nickel to run it from scratch on kobo start menu. ...
I don't use nickel very often, but Exit_Nickel brings you back to the start menu imediately . This is much faster, than switching off the device and then start again. Why don't you want to use this?
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote