Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-16-2018, 11:48 AM   #16
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Then they are Pre Owned Store RETURNS....
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:49 AM   #17
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Where do you get that idea from?
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2018, 12:06 PM   #18
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's what my Local Staples does. When some one Returns some thing it goes in the Mark Down CLEARENCE items drastically Reduced. Best Buy also does the same thing. They call theirs Open Box.... more honest IMO
Old 10-16-2018, 03:39 PM   #19
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
That's what my Local Staples does. When some one Returns some thing it goes in the Mark Down CLEARENCE items drastically Reduced. Best Buy also does the same thing. They call theirs Open Box.... more honest IMO
I'm surprised there is not a law against what you are describing. When I asked the sales associate, she gave several reasons, none of which it was a returned item.

So when a store says "everythinge must go, clearance sale" everything has been opened or returned?

And logically, I don't think it makes sense: wouldn't there be more reports of Paperwhites on "clearance". Why wouldn't the normal sign also be up? Why is the "clearance" timed so closely to the new announcement, and Amazon stop selling the Paperwhite 3?

John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:47 PM   #20
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Nah. Returns are usually marked open-box. Brick and mortar stores often have clearance sales on local stock that are not available on the store's parent website and different locations might actually have different prices.

You can find some of these local deals on BrickSeek.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 10-16-2018 at 03:50 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2018, 05:19 PM   #21
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Could be these are also Displays they getting rid of to make room for the New PW4

When my local Staples closed ALL Display stock was sold Cheap including the Amazon Products.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:05 PM   #22
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Could be these are also Displays they getting rid of to make room for the New PW4

When my local Staples closed ALL Display stock was sold Cheap including the Amazon Products.
Nope.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:27 PM   #23
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Nope to WHAT? John?
Old 10-17-2018, 03:39 AM   #24
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
There's a new waterproof Kindle Paperwhite announced, apparently with either 8GB or 32GB memory, so it could just be that Staples is putting the old model on clearance as the new version will be released in a couple weeks.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:43 AM   #25
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Nope to WHAT? John?
Quote:

Old 10-17-2018, 01:33 PM   #26
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I wouldn't assume that unless you've actually gotten a hold of one of the fabled $35 Kindles.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:04 PM   #27
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I wouldn't assume that unless you've actually gotten a hold of one of the fabled $35 Kindles.
What I was Told buy the several stores I called in a 50 mile radius of me....

The $35 Kindles were Displays or Returns...
Old 10-17-2018, 04:51 PM   #28
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Again, for anyone interested in a Paperwhite 3 for $35 at Staples:

1) check online for stock
2) call the Staples to see if they have it on clearance, if you trust a sales associate, ask if the item is new and the box is factory sealed
3) go to the store and verify

Mine was a Paperwhite 3.
It was black.
The box appeared to be factory sealed. There was no wear on the box.
The contents appeared to be untouched, once I opened the box
There were no blemishes on the Paperwhite that I could see
I needed to do an intial setup
I believe the firmware was 5.9.4 ( I let the firmware upgrade)

So to me, everything points to it being a new unit.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:34 PM   #29
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
What I was Told buy the several stores I called in a 50 mile radius of me....

The $35 Kindles were Displays or Returns...
Note, deals at brick and mortar stores tend to vary based on location. Probably just means the Staples stores in your area aren't running clearance sales.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 01:09 AM   #30
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Nope just makes me wonder how people Think Amazon is going to allow their Kindles go sooo cheap & how gullible people are.