Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-21-2023, 04:46 PM   #1
paperscreen
Enthusiast
paperscreen began at the beginning.

Device: K3
Unable to connect through USBNetwork

I have USBNetwork enabled and use WinSCP to connect. I am unable to connect and I get this message:

Network error: Connection timed out.

I have Windows 10 and I use below settings:

Host IP:192.168.15.244
User: root

Kindle USB RNDIS Device: present

Am I doing something wrong?
paperscreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 05:36 PM   #2
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Did you set the IP address for that USB RNDIS network card to be from the same 192.168.15.xxx subnet?
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2023, 06:50 AM   #3
paperscreen
Enthusiast

Yes.

IP address is: 192.168.15.201
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Old 12-22-2023, 10:15 AM   #4
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Did you turn on USBnet mode (toggle from USB Mass Storage to USB Net) on your Kindle? Via USBnetwork KUAL buttons or by using a " ;un" search bar command to toggle it on/off ?

Check the current status using KUAL extension... and in WinSCP are you using SCP as a File Protocol ?

Are you trying to use USBnetwork hack on Kindle 3 or some other Kindle device?? I can't recall the details if USBNetworking hack had that ;un shortcut command defined in the era of Kindle v3.xx firmware ... I haven't used a Kindle 3 aka Kindle Keyboard since 2011.

Last edited by shamanNS; 12-22-2023 at 10:19 AM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 01:02 PM   #5
paperscreen
Enthusiast

Yes. USBnet is enabled through KUAL. I tried SCP in WinSCP as well. It is Kindle Keyboard.

Additionally Kindle USB RNDIS Device is present in Network Connections, although I cant ping it and it looks like WinSCP can't find it as well. So even though it looks like it is available maybe it is not for some reason?
Advert
Old 12-23-2023, 03:19 PM   #6
paperscreen
Enthusiast

I get it working. All the instructions suggest wrong IP address. At least for K3. It should be 192.168.2.1 and the host 192.168.2.2.
Old 12-23-2023, 03:25 PM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperscreen View Post
I get it working. All the instructions suggest wrong IP address. At least for K3. It should be 192.168.2.1 and the host 192.168.2.2.
The instructions are correct. You made some mistake configuring your computer and had to change the kindle configuration to compensate.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 03:40 PM   #8
paperscreen
Enthusiast

They are not correct. I didn't make any mistake. I read all the instruction I could find and all of them say:

> "Use the following IP address" and enter IP address 192.168.15.201, and 255.255.255.0 for the subnet mask, click OK twice. Open your remote terminal application, and connect as root to the address 192.168.15.244

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/USBNetwork#Windows

This didn't work with my K3.
Old 12-23-2023, 08:32 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Trust the in-package documentation next time . The default on non-diags and non-FW 5.x USBNet is indeed 192.168.2.x
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 04:13 AM   #10
paperscreen
Enthusiast

Yeah. That could save me some time I feel like I grow some wrinkle in my brain just now I get so fixed on comments that I forgot there is such thing as in-package documentation
Old 12-24-2023, 11:20 AM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I completely glossed over that when you explicitly mentioned the IPs on GH, so I can't really gloat too much ;p.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ssh, ssh client kindle, usb network, usbnetwork