Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kt
Gargoyle – another IF player

There were many posts about different interactive fiction players lately. I've never played this kind of games, so I decided to try it.

But…
Instead of playing I lost some time porting Gargoyle to Kindle Touch. I couldn't stop until I saw it running.

Now, when it is more or less ready I want to share it with you.
You will find KUAL package on my webpage.

There are probably bugs, which I will find when I finally play a game…

Supported formats:
  • Adrift games (.taf, played with Scare)
  • AdvSys (.dat)
  • AGiliTy (.agx/.d$$)
  • Alan2 (.acd)
  • Alan3 (.a3c)
  • HUGO (.hex)
  • Inform Z-Machine (.z1/.z2/.z3/.z4/.z5/.z6/.z7/.z8, played with Frotz, Nitfol or Bocfel)
  • Inform or Superglús games compiled to the Glulxe VM in Blorb archives (.ulx/.blb/.blorb/.glb/.gblorb, played with Git or Glulxe)
  • Inform Z-Machine games in Blorb archives (.zlb, .zblorb, played with Frotz)
  • JACL (.jacl/.j2)
  • Level 9 (.l9/.sna)
  • Magnetic (.mag)
  • Quest games (.asl/.cas, played with Geas)
  • Scott Adams Grand Adventures (.saga)
  • TADS (.gam/.t3)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_09_26T21_17_04+0200.png
Views:	1601
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	112213   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_09_26T21_21_43+0200.png
Views:	1262
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	112214   Click image for larger version

Name:	Guild_Screenshot from 2013-09-29 12-50-16.png
Views:	1560
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	112396   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_09_27T09_05_44+0531.png
Views:	1217
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	112397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Advquest_screenshot_2013_03_02T04_44_29+0531.png
Views:	1048
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	112407   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_09_30T09_05_13+0200.png
Views:	943
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	112408   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_09_27T21_33_37+0200.png
Views:	970
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	112409   Click image for larger version

Name:	alan_hollywood_murders_screenshot_2013_03_01T08_07_46+0531.png
Views:	1007
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	112785  

Last edited by baf; 10-04-2013 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Nasser's screenshots; more screens; list formats
baf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
Aeris
Developer's Corner Mascot
Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.4, Kindle Keyboard 3.4
Not working on Kindle PW

Font missing, can see only black squares
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screenshot_2012_12_01T14_11_55+0902.png
Views:	1044
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	112238  
Aeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2013, 10:23 PM   #3
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
Great.. this is the last word in IF interpreters.. as it includes modules to play a wide variety of IF formats.. super work to port it, baf..
Ok.. may have some bugs.. only to be expected.. sure you can fix..
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:01 PM   #4
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Works ok on my PW.. didn't get the issues faced by aeris..
Tried half a dozen files.. zcode, tads, glulx.. all working fine..
Will try some of the less common types: magnetic, hugo, alan..
Interesting that kterm isn't used.. like in the earlier ports posted here..
Maybe due to the above, the gluxe module was actually able to show the opening graphic in one game..
also relieves the extra baggage of matchbox and dialog..
Font is a bit smaller but still quite comfortable.. can always be adjusted through the .ini file..
Reading books and text adventures are closely related.. and in the kindle, with these IF ports, they are a heavenly combination..
Will post some screenshots..

Last edited by nasser; 09-26-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:04 PM   #5
nasser
Evangelist

Only one nag..
After quitting, it goes to kindle home screen..
I would prefer it go back to the opening screen where it asks you to select a story file..
From here, we can still quit by selecting 'cancel'..
Possible, baf..?

Last edited by nasser; 09-26-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Advert
Old 09-27-2013, 12:46 AM   #6
nasser
Evangelist

Some screenshots.. showing the glulxe module loading the opening graphics in 3 games..

One bug report: the frotz module is not able to open zcode files with extension as '.DAT'.. like for the old infocom games.. worked ok after changing the extension to '.z5'..

The earlier frotz port was able to handle '.DAT' files.. don't know how the one in the gargoyle package differs.. maybe older version..?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screenshot_2013_09_27T09_00_58+0531.png
Views:	807
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	112247   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_09_27T09_04_47+0531.png
Views:	865
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	112248   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_09_27T09_05_44+0531.png
Views:	923
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	112249  

Last edited by nasser; 09-27-2013 at 12:48 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:38 AM   #7
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeris View Post
Not working on Kindle PW

Font missing, can see only black squares
Strange. It works for nasser, so I don't have any idea now
Old 09-27-2013, 01:42 AM   #8
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by baf View Post
Strange. It works for nasser, so I don't have any idea now
maybe it's a locales problem? Screenshot of spacebar is french?
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:48 AM   #9
baf
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasser View Post
Some screenshots.. showing the glulxe module loading the opening graphics in 3 games..

One bug report: the frotz module is not able to open zcode files with extension as '.DAT'.. like for the old infocom games.. worked ok after changing the extension to '.z5'..

The earlier frotz port was able to handle '.DAT' files.. don't know how the one in the gargoyle package differs.. maybe older version..?
Great! Thanks for screenshots.
As far as I understood you can set file associations in ini file. You may try to link DAT with frotz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasser View Post
After quitting, it goes to kindle home screen..
I would prefer it go back to the opening screen where it asks you to select a story file..
From here, we can still quit by selecting 'cancel'..
Possible, baf..?
I am not sure it is necessary. I will think about it.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:50 AM   #10
baf
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianinmaine View Post
Good point. May be worth trying it with another locale.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:04 AM   #11
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Must try this out...
BTW, .dat file extension seems to be reserved for a different format. See https://code.google.com/p/garglk/sou...launcher.c#324
I think there's no way but renaming if it is in fact z-code.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:18 AM   #12
baf
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
BTW, .dat file extension seems to be reserved for a different format. See https://code.google.com/p/garglk/sou...launcher.c#324
I think there's no way but renaming if it is in fact z-code.
You are right!
If nasser prefers not to change the extension there is also a possibility to override the association just for one game in ini file:

Code:
# Override for specific game
[ Floatpoint.zblorb ]
terp glulxe
Old 09-27-2013, 04:14 AM   #13
Aeris
Developer's Corner Mascot
Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.4, Kindle Keyboard 3.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianinmaine View Post
My Kindle PW is in italian language
Aeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:18 AM   #14
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeris View Post
My Kindle PW is in italian language
Sorry, I'm not great with languages. Would it be possible to try a different language (locale) to see if this is the font/black box issue?
Old 09-27-2013, 04:19 AM   #15
brianinmaine
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by baf View Post
There were many posts about different interactive fiction players lately. I've never played this kind of games, so I decided to try it.

But…
Instead of playing I lost some time porting Gargoyle to Kindle Touch. I couldn't stop until I saw it running.

Now, when it is more or less ready I want to share it with you.
You will find KUAL package on my webpage.

There are probably bugs, which I will find when I finally play a game…
Is this a huge file? I'd like to try it, but where I am it is not allowed to download from dropbox. Can you post a copy here, please?