Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-26-2018, 01:51 PM   #31
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem as I see it is you go into an independent bookstore, see Kobos for sale, buy one, and then you don't go back because you've switched to reading eBooks. The bookstore loses out in the long run.
You are sort of wrong ( I think lol) . Indie book sellers now have their own ebook stores where they get a cut of the ebook purchase price so you can still buy ebooks and support your local indie store. So I was told. I could be wrong. I can not remember where I heard this but I think it was at my local store Rainy Day Books

Last edited by HLS; 01-26-2018 at 01:54 PM.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:55 PM   #32
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
I think Kobo had some sort of affiliate program for the independent bookstores so that when you bought ebooks, the bookstore got a cut.
Yep they do. I am glad I am not the only one that heard about this lol
Advert
Old 01-26-2018, 02:04 PM   #33
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Can I say now is the time for Kobo to roll out a firmware update offering the Aura One's integrated Overdrive for all their models? Then make a big deal about it when they start selling at Walmart.
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe Walmart will nudge them in that direction? Maybe we should start nudging Walmart so they can nudge Kobo.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:08 PM   #34
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Kobo would be wise to develop a super low-priced intro level reader for the WalMart Market.
Agreed. Something to compete with the Kindle Basic. It's possible that Walmart is already planning promotions to sell Kobo devices. I guess we'll have to (impatiently) wait and see.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:12 PM   #35
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
You are sort of wrong ( I think lol) . Indie book sellers now have their own ebook stores where they get a cut of the ebook purchase price so you can still buy ebooks and support your local indie store. So I was told. I could be wrong. I can not remember where I heard this but I think it was at my local store Rainy Day Books
I use an affiliate link from my local bookstore when I buy from Kobo.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2018, 02:16 PM   #36
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Competition is good. I don't really know if Walmart is the first company that most online shoppers think about. I have to wonder a bit if they are paying Google to make sure they are near the top of search results rather than Amazon.
I think Walmart has a long way to go to match the slickness of the Amazon's website, but I think they understand how important it is to compete with Amazon and they're committed to getting there. I never liked Walmart much, but I've got a nephew who works there and there was a huge change when the new (now newish) CEO showed up. He immediately hired more employees and raised their pay, instantly raising employee morale. Whether Walmart will continue in this direction, I don't know – stockholders are fickle – but right now they seem to understand how important it is to compete with Amazon (and they still have the resources to do it).
Old 01-26-2018, 02:35 PM   #37
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I think it would be more likely to see new devices with that ability rather than updated older devices. This is however my opinion.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
That of course is assuming Kobo has a wave of new devices scheduled to roll out when they first appear at Walmart (which I doubt).

My point of offering Overdrive out of the gate is that Kobo's biggest shot at new adopters is when they first appear at the store. If they are smart, they will have Overdrive integration on all their devices from jump street.

I remember when Microsoft announced the Edge browser for Windows 10. It would be fast. It would be sleek. It would support extensions!

When Edge appeared, it was fast and sleek and did not support extensions. The reviews clubbed it for that. They're there now. But people are less likely to go back and try Edge again.

And as Head and Shoulders said: You never get a second chance to make a first impression.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 01-26-2018 at 02:40 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:39 PM   #38
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe Walmart will nudge them in that direction? Maybe we should start nudging Walmart so they can nudge Kobo.
I personally don't care about Overdrive either way, so I'm not likely to nudge anyone.

But I do know that being able to check books out from the library is important for lots of people. Particularly price-conscious Walmart shoppers? And since Kobo has already shown that they can do it, they would be wise to consider the market these are being sold in and offer it on all devices.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:03 PM   #39
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
I hope this means we'll finally get syncing for sideloaded books too. That's the only thing keeping me on the kindle side now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:51 PM   #40
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
The problem as I see it is you go into an independent bookstore, see Kobos for sale, buy one, and then you don't go back because you've switched to reading eBooks. The bookstore loses out in the long run.
As far as I recall, Kobo has/had an affiliate program with independent/small booksellers where they got a percentage of any future ebook sales to the purchaser.

Edit: really should read to end of thread before replying.

Last edited by DNSB; 01-26-2018 at 03:54 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:00 PM   #41
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Well I am happy that I can finally buy a KOBO device and see one in store before buying. I only wish they will sell at independent book stores as well so to help them compete with B&N and Amazon
They do sell at some indy bookstores. E.g.: http://www.politics-prose.com/kobo
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:08 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
I think Kobo had some sort of affiliate program for the independent bookstores so that when you bought ebooks, the bookstore got a cut.
Even if you buy the eBooks from the device and not through the bookstore's website?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:28 PM   #43
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Even if you buy the eBooks from the device and not through the bookstore's website?
When I log in to the kobo website, it acknowledges me as a customer of Broadside Bookshop in Northampton, MA. I'm 90% sure that Broadside gets a percentage of the price of every book I buy, whether it's from the Kobo website or directly from my Kobo.

Here's a link to the page on Broadside's website about the program: http://www.broadsidebooks.com/kobo/help/about

Shari

Last edited by shalym; 01-26-2018 at 04:32 PM.
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:40 PM   #44
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
When I log in to the kobo website, it acknowledges me as a customer of Broadside Bookshop in Northampton, MA. I'm 90% sure that Broadside gets a percentage of the price of every book I buy, whether it's from the Kobo website or directly from my Kobo.

Here's a link to the page on Broadside's website about the program: http://www.broadsidebooks.com/kobo/help/about

Shari
Same here for my local store http://www.rainydaybooks.com/kobo/help/about
Old 01-26-2018, 05:34 PM   #45
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I'm happy for Kobo getting back in to the US market. It will be nice to handle Kobos in person, etc. But in the past Walmart sold Kindles and Nooks. Not sure what they think will be different this time around.
If I recall correctly Walmart stopped selling Kindles not because they didn't sell well but because people would buy the Kindle and then get the books from Amazon and since Walmart is one of the largest book sellers they were competing with themselves. At least that's what I remember from their announcement when they stopped selling Kindles.

This time around they seem to have arranged to get a piece of the book sales as well and that's probably what'd different this time.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote