Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 04-26-2016, 08:43 AM   #1
kerellag
kerellag began at the beginning.

Device: none
Dasung Paperlike freezing problem

Does anyone know what could be causing this e-ink monitor to freeze up a lot, maybe every 15-20 minutes. I'm using it with a desktop PC at the moment, the problem doesn't seem as bad on my Macbook. I contacted Dasung and they said I should check that my motherboard drivers are up to date, not sure how to do this but everything seems okay in device manager and when I click "update drivers", Windows tells me they're all up to date. Has anyone else experienced similar problems or know what might be causing it?
kerellag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:03 AM   #2
bobodude
Connoisseur
bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BooX M96
Hi,

sorry I can't answer your question, as i don't have a Dasung.

I am considering buying one, and am interested in people's opinion in the monitor.

Do you have the first or the second version, and other than the freezing, are you happy with it ?

Do you have any videos, of the dasung being used ?

hope you find an answer to the problem ...
bobodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2016, 06:58 AM   #3
Hemiko
Hemiko began at the beginning.

Device: Dasung monitor
freezing

I have also this monitor and all the same problems. That is because they not yet complete made this monitor and drivers.

I want to send it back but they want me to pay for custom fee what they will need to pay when it get from me and do not compensate any cost to send it back. Dissapointed. I know one people who send back this monitor to them but do not get refund back.
Hemiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:06 AM   #4
kerellag

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobodude View Post
Hi,

sorry I can't answer your question, as i don't have a Dasung.

I am considering buying one, and am interested in people's opinion in the monitor.

Do you have the first or the second version, and other than the freezing, are you happy with it ?

Do you have any videos, of the dasung being used ?

hope you find an answer to the problem ...
It's great when it works, but not very reliable unfortunately. If it's for casual use I would recommend it, but if you need i for anything work related I would probably wait for a while. It's come out of preproduction phase now I think, so maybe in a year or so it'll be much less glitchy.

I got mine in the January sale, I don't know if it's the first or the second. The freezing problem has improved a lot since I updated my motherboard drivers and made sure that a whole set of USB ports was reserved for the monitor (which someone on another thread had recommended). But sometimes the thing won't come on at all and I don't know why. I'm thinking of sending it back now and trying a replacement.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:23 AM   #5
Lile
Lile is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Lile is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Lile is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Lile is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Lile is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Lile is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Lile is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Lile is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Lile is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Lile is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Lile is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1, yotaphone 2, Dasung Paperlike
I also had the freezing/automatically restart problem from time to time, but not so frequent. Mine is a used one from the March, 2016 sale and it is the second version. My hope is that Dasung can keep updating their driver to improve the device's stability. Solving the problem hardware-wise may be too challenging to Dasung currently.

ps1. You can try to contact Dasung for the latest driver. Sometimes they do not update it on their website. Recently I contact their support technician for a new driver, which allows me to use A5 mode under resolution 1600*1200. It is a huge improvement in user experience compared to the A2 mode.
ps2. I think the second version of the monitor may have remedied some hardware problems in the first version. In China, they gave the first version buyers some vouchers to buy their future products. You may ask for the vouchers when negotiating return or refund with them.
Lile is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2016, 04:30 AM   #6
Lile
Lile is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Lile is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Lile is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Lile is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Lile is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Lile is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Lile is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Lile is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Lile is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Lile is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Lile is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1, yotaphone 2, Dasung Paperlike
Btw, yours should also be the second version given the time of buying (January 2016). I do advise you to try out the latest driver of the Paperlike. Software side does play an important role in these E-Ink products (considering that with appropriate software installed you can even use your kindle as a screen).
Lile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 05:26 AM   #7
Hemiko
Hemiko began at the beginning.

Device: Dasung monitor
freezing too to me

I have also these problems like freezings and restarts. I tried windows xp, 7 , 8 , 10 . Windows 7 is little better but with mans problems too. 16 color mode work best of all, but just it also freezed and restarted. I was thought that this is only one mode what is working well.
Hemiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 03:43 PM   #8
frantoo
frantoo is a jewel in the roughfrantoo is a jewel in the roughfrantoo is a jewel in the roughfrantoo is a jewel in the roughfrantoo is a jewel in the roughfrantoo is a jewel in the roughfrantoo is a jewel in the roughfrantoo is a jewel in the roughfrantoo is a jewel in the roughfrantoo is a jewel in the roughfrantoo is a jewel in the rough

Device: Icarus Illumina e653, Onyx Boox i86
I also have the freezing/restart problem. A lot more in A5 than in A2.

Kerellag, could you give me some advise on how to reserve the USB ports for the device or point me to the other forum where it was suggested?

So far, if I wouldn't be desperate because of my chronic migraine and not being able to use any LCD screens at the moment, I would wait some more time for a better solution.
In general, I find browsing the internet and reading and writing stuff more comfortable on an ereader with an open Android from the visual perspective. Downside to this: I haven't yet found an ereader which runs apps stable enough. Currently using the Onyx Boox i86.

Kind regards and thanks in advance,
Fran
frantoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:47 AM   #9
kerellag

Quote:
Originally Posted by frantoo View Post
I also have the freezing/restart problem. A lot more in A5 than in A2.

Kerellag, could you give me some advise on how to reserve the USB ports for the device or point me to the other forum where it was suggested?

So far, if I wouldn't be desperate because of my chronic migraine and not being able to use any LCD screens at the moment, I would wait some more time for a better solution.
In general, I find browsing the internet and reading and writing stuff more comfortable on an ereader with an open Android from the visual perspective. Downside to this: I haven't yet found an ereader which runs apps stable enough. Currently using the Onyx Boox i86.

Kind regards and thanks in advance,
Fran
Fran, I haven't used my Dasung in weeks now, I think I've given up on it.

I played around with a lot of things at the beginning like updating all my motherboard drivers, making sure I was using the latest Paperlike driver and not the older one that came with my monitor and using a whole USB set thing for the monitor alone, i.e. even if there's four slots in the set, only use one for the monitor. My computer has about 3 of these sets, so there's enough space to plug in any other USB devices I have. I read about it on this thread where some other people were having similar issues:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=272975

After all this, I think the monitor started freezing less often (down to 1-2 times per hour from every 5-10 minutes). However, I've found that this is still much too frustrating and interrupts the flow of my work, so I just don't bother with it anymore.

Basically, I think the device is unusable at the moment, the only reason I didn't return it is because I was hoping the issue would be resolved quickly through a software update. Hopefully this will still happen at some point.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:10 PM   #10
Damiond1
Damiond1 began at the beginning.

Device: iMac
I have had a good few issues loading the drivers. The major one is that I have installed it. Going to USB driver, picking options, all devices and when I turn it off it also turns off my modem. Honestly I am lost.
Damiond1 is offline   Reply With Quote