Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-10-2018, 11:22 PM   #481
KindleAZWorKFX
Connoisseur
KindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition and Samsung 10.1 tablet
Cool

Quote:
The MOBI files produced by Kindle Previewer do not include KFX format. KFX is always separate.
kindlegen mobi format version is v5 or v6
and Kindle Previewer 3 mobi format final version is v8
kindleunpack plugin mobi & azw3 version is v5 or v6 I think.

info from the pdf on kindle previewer 3, no where does it not say that the mobi exported file does not include the kfx formatting in it, yes it does not do the extention of kfx in the export also says something about an azk format too, got newest version of Kindle previewer 3 3.24.0 version
it only downgrades the mobi exported version when you use kindleunpack on it that does downgrade from version 8 (kindle previewer 3 mobi file) to version 6(either kindlegen or kindleunpack file) info on mobi and/or azw3 versions in their split ebook files, otherwise the mobi format reads as a newer format, even without the kfx extention filename.kfx at the end of it, look up this info below in its pdf file. if I understand it right it talks about including Enhanced Typesetting in the exported files from Kindle Previewer 3 app with its export if I read that right?

Last edited by KindleAZWorKFX; 07-12-2018 at 05:55 AM. Reason: edited today to shorten it etc
KindleAZWorKFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:51 AM   #482
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleAZWorKFX View Post
it talks about including Enhanced Typesetting in the exported files from Kindle Previewer 3 app with its export if I read that right?
KFX is short for Kindle Format 10 and is different from the previous Kindle Format 8 (KF8 aka AZW3). MOBI files exported by the Previewer contain KF8, among other things, but not KFX.

When you export a book from Kindle Previewer in MOBI format the pop up message states, "Enhanced Typesetting is enabled for the book being previewed, but it is not supported in the exported file." Enhanced Typesetting is a feature of the KFX format.

The variant of KFX format produced by the Kindle Previewer is left in your temp directory after conversion. The Previewer provides no means to export it.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2018, 02:22 AM   #483
KindleAZWorKFX
Connoisseur
KindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it is

is it possible to use Kindle huffdic compression with the KFX plugin ( Kindle Format 10)?

from kindlegen command app, dos based program from amazon.com etc

-c2: Kindle huffdic compression

one last question I should of asked is does kindle Paperwrite 2 device even support KFX formats (Kindle Format 10 ) with Kindle huffdic compression in the files, or would that also hard crash our kindle Paperwrite 2 devices, not sure if it would be an problem for the defaults like an non-standard compression or if that's what amazon is using too with the format, its an good question I think anyway to ask about.

I like the Kindle huffdic compression from kindlegen of the epub files into mobi since it seems to compressed them more than what calibre can do on default converting of them.

I like the idea of the converting azw3 and epub into KFX format, but it seems like it could be more compressed the KFK format more than it does maybe, that's a question I had also, can the converting with the KFK plugin for calibre do more compression of the files, like the command kindlegen -c2 does for normal epub to mobi conversion, because it can make the default split mobi and azw3 files a lot smaller than the normal ones that calibre can make, it seems like calibre does not use Kindle huffdic compression on its normal converting of files,

anyway that's an question is does Kindle Format 10 (KFX plugin, format) support anything like Kindle huffdic compression with its outputed files, since it seems like its using standard DOC compression or no compression with its KFX plugin, I try and look into this but was wondering if you have an answer about this, if its using an command calling like an kindlegen in its process I look at into that too, too see if it has -c2 command with that or DOC level compression instead.

since I can't tell if the output files are a lot more bigger in size because of DOC compression or if KFX is using an kindle based compression, does it use that or not?

is their an default compression type setting or value that can be edited and changed for it to use Kindle huffdic compression level with the outputted KFX format files like the -c2 command that kindlegen can use from the command prompt, but more of an edit value for the plugin outputs or if you can provide some compression kindle based menu settings in calibre to choose from in future updates of this plugin?

Last edited by KindleAZWorKFX; 07-13-2018 at 02:47 AM. Reason: is it possible to use Kindle huffdic compression with Kindle Format 10 ? and the hardware
Old 07-13-2018, 08:07 AM   #484
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleAZWorKFX View Post
is it possible to use Kindle huffdic compression with the KFX plugin ( Kindle Format 10)?
The data compression methods that are used in MOBI files to not apply to KFX.

In the books delivered by Amazon in KFX format LZMA data compression is done as part of the DRM scheme used. I don't know of any way to add compression to a KFX book without replicating Amazon's DRM and trying to do that would introduce a whole new set of problems.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:18 AM   #485
KindleAZWorKFX
Connoisseur

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The data compression methods that are used in MOBI files to not apply to KFX.

In the books delivered by Amazon in KFX format LZMA data compression is done as part of the DRM scheme used. I don't know of any way to add compression to a KFX book without replicating Amazon's DRM and trying to do that would introduce a whole new set of problems.
ok, thanks for that info or answer on this matter.

Advert
Old 07-20-2018, 01:39 PM   #486
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Version 1.21.0 - 20 Jul 2018

Detect Previewer versions up to 3.24. (Newer Previewer versions produce better results.)

Additional fixes applied to the source EPUB before conversion to work around the Previewer not handling URL escape in links. This mostly affects books whose internal file names contain spaces.

Extract additional conversion guidance from Previewer conversion logs.

Truncate the guidance report if it contains an excessive number of entries.

Version 1.21.1 - 20 Jul 2018

Prevent conversion failure when a book contains an unexpected symbol count.

Last edited by jhowell; 07-20-2018 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:24 AM   #487
SmithM
SmithM began at the beginning.

Device: kv
kfx format multiple fonts

Thanks for your KFX Output plugin.
I try to convert my epub book to kfx format, I got the Page Flip feature, but in my book, I lost my custom fonts. I tried to convert my book from epub2 to epub3, and it still broken. So can you help me to solve this problem? Thank you.

See in the attachments: I set four fonts in Section0001 - baskerville, opendyslexic, bookerly, helvetica. They both show the same with kfx format, but In azw3 file, It works fine.

test_en.epub

test_en_kfx.zip

test_en_new.azw3
SmithM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:17 AM   #488
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithM View Post
Thanks for your KFX Output plugin.
I try to convert my epub book to kfx format, I got the Page Flip feature, but in my book, I lost my custom fonts. I tried to convert my book from epub2 to epub3, and it still broken. So can you help me to solve this problem? Thank you.
The Kindle Previewer does not support "src: local" in a font-face declaration. To make it work you either need to embed the fonts in your EPUB or remove the font-face declarations altogether.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:51 AM   #489
SmithM

Quote:
The Kindle Previewer does not support "src: local" in a font-face declaration. To make it work you either need to embed the fonts in your EPUB or remove the font-face declarations altogether.

It works fine when I embed the fonts in epub file.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:01 PM   #490
HowlerX
Enthusiast
HowlerX began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:

It works fine when I embed the fonts in epub file.
I'm assuming you are going to be reading this on a Kindle e-ink device or a tablet or phone with the Kindle app installed. Since all the devices and apps mentioned have all 4 fonts you've declared, there is no need to use "font-face" declarations. If you want Kindle devices to force the use of a particular font, this is what I've found works (using your css stylesheet as a starting point):
Code:
.baskerville {
	font-family: "Baskerville", serif;
}
.opendyslexic {
	font-family: "OpenDyslexic", serif;
}
.bookerly {
	font-family: "Bookerly", serif;
}
.helvetica {
	font-family: "Helvetica Neue LT", sans-serif;
}
Not sure why you have to use "Helvetica Neue LT" myself. I'm assuming it's because the Kindle App on iOS uses that particular variant of Helvetica. I tested it on your sample converted to KFX and loaded it on my Kindle and it displays as intended. Hope this helps.
HowlerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:06 AM   #491
SmithM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlerX View Post
I'm assuming you are going to be reading this on a Kindle e-ink device or a tablet or phone with the Kindle app installed. Since all the devices and apps mentioned have all 4 fonts you've declared, there is no need to use "font-face" declarations. If you want Kindle devices to force the use of a particular font, this is what I've found works (using your css stylesheet as a starting point):
Code:
.baskerville {
	font-family: "Baskerville", serif;
}
.opendyslexic {
	font-family: "OpenDyslexic", serif;
}
.bookerly {
	font-family: "Bookerly", serif;
}
.helvetica {
	font-family: "Helvetica Neue LT", sans-serif;
}
Not sure why you have to use "Helvetica Neue LT" myself. I'm assuming it's because the Kindle App on iOS uses that particular variant of Helvetica. I tested it on your sample converted to KFX and loaded it on my Kindle and it displays as intended. Hope this helps.
Ohhh, I tested in my kindle e-ink device, It works fine for both English fonts and Chinese fonts.Thank you for your help.

About the "Helvetica" font at the ".helvetica" declaration, That was my fault, actually I want to use the "Helvetica" font that have been build in Kindle e-ink device. Sorry for that make you feel confused.

Besides, I want to know how to display cover in Kindle e-ink devices for KFX file? I have already declared the cover picture as "Cover Image" and added cover semantic for "cover.xhtml" in epub file.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:12 AM   #492
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Besides, I want to know how to display cover in Kindle e-ink devices for KFX file? I have already declared the cover picture as "Cover Image" and added cover semantic for "cover.xhtml" in epub file.
See "Showing Cover Thumbnail Images on E-Ink Kindle Devices" in the first post in this thread.
Old 08-04-2018, 04:34 AM   #493
SmithM

Quote:
See "Showing Cover Thumbnail Images on E-Ink Kindle Devices" in the first post in this thread.
Thank you for your reply.

I've already seen this before, This is a good way. But actually I am working on a book that is magazine/newspaper, Amazon store doesn't contain these.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:04 AM   #494
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
Just wanted to say thank you for this plug-in. Took a bit of hacking and patience - wish Amazon didn't make things so difficult - but was able to successfully convert a 2000+ page ePub for my Oasis using the KFX plugin. Looks great with the new typesetting and page flip makes it much easier to flip through such a large book.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:35 AM   #495
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Calibre 3.29 now create cover thumbnails on the device when transferring KFX format books.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kfx, linux, wine