Notices

Old 12-25-2015, 03:57 PM   #1
biancapetroiu
biancapetroiu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2015
Problems viewing books on Kindle Paperwhite 2015

Hello guys,

Merry Christmas first!

I have a Kindle Paperwhite 2015 and now I got to the point where I cannot see my transferred books to the Kindle.

The issue started yesterday, where I downloaded 2 books from Amazon (I have also my Kindle linked to an Amazon account). In the same time I had some books downloaded from another websites.

Since I received the 2 bought books from Amazon, I could not see the other books, though in my computer I can see them there. From there, I formatted the entire Kindle storage, and now when I transfer a book I can see it, but after I turn off and restart the Kindle the books are gone.

Any idea how I can fix this?
biancapetroiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 04:21 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You're saying when you restart the device things disappear? Are the files still on disk after the restart?

Books can fail to show up for two reasons usually.

1) Failing memory. Any files do not show up, or the filesystem reverts back to a specific state after a reboot.
Failing memory is bad.

2) The indexer is jammed on a book with bad markup, and cannot add new books.
Solution: delete all the missing books, add one at a time until you track down the broken book.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 04:27 PM   #3
biancapetroiu

Hello and thank you for your quick reply!

The books are still there, with every reboot.

I am afraid I screwed it up when I formatted the Kindle from my PC - it does not have the same folders as previously
Old 12-25-2015, 04:48 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You shouldn't have reformatted it. Also, are the books in the documents folder? If they aren't, they'll never show up.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 04:55 PM   #5
biancapetroiu

Yes, they are in the documents folder. Checked now, in the documents folder there are the Kindle User guides, even those are not showing up in the Kindle
Old 12-25-2015, 07:21 PM   #6
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by biancapetroiu View Post
Yes, they are in the documents folder. Checked now, in the documents folder there are the Kindle User guides, even those are not showing up in the Kindle
I suggest first backing it up and then going into Settings and while in Settings open the menu and you'll see the Reset to Factory Defaults option. This will format your Kindle properly and re-install it's operating system. This is the correct way to format a Kindle.

It's possible that you've prevented the reset from working by formatting it from your PC but my guess is that it will work and your Kindle will be just fine afterward. You will have to connect it to your Wifi again and register it with Amazon again and download any books again because it will have been completely erased.

I hope this works for you.

For what it's worth I do this at least once a year with each of my Kindles (and most of my other devices as well) to keep them fresh and running well. In order to make that easier I don't use my Kindles as storage devices, just keeping my current book and my likely next books on board.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 01:01 AM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by biancapetroiu View Post
In the same time I had some books downloaded from another websites.
What format are the other books? Mobi? Did you do any type of conversion on the books and if so how and to what format (Mobi, AZW3)?

Did they open and work okay on the Kindle before they disappeared? Do they work okay in other readers, such as Kindle for PC or Mac?

Have you checked to see if something is stuck indexing and has caused the Kindle to go wonky? Perhaps one of the files is bad and is killing the indexer. To check do a search from the home page using a made up nonsense word and see if the results say anything is still indexing.

I would consider doing a factory reset and then adding books one at a time until the problem occurs to perhaps narrow down if it's a specific problem file.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 03:31 AM   #8
biancapetroiu

Hello everyone

Happy new year!

Thank you for your replies, tried what everyone suggested - with no luck. The issue was that I had a virus that was creating a shortcut of the Kindle inside the Kindle and seeing the documents when wanted to.

Checked the Kindle with a virus scanner, removed the infected data + created a new documents folder and now everything works!
Old 01-01-2016, 03:31 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
You're saying when you restart the device things disappear? Are the files still on disk after the restart?

Books can fail to show up for two reasons usually.

1) Failing memory. Any files do not show up, or the filesystem reverts back to a specific state after a reboot.
Failing memory is bad.

2) The indexer is jammed on a book with bad markup, and cannot add new books.
Solution: delete all the missing books, add one at a time until you track down the broken book.
3) Your computer has a virus.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books, kindle, paperwhite 3