Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 12-19-2006, 10:54 PM   #1
AceHarddrive
Enthusiast
AceHarddrive began at the beginning.

Device: Tapwave Zodiac 2
Talking Plucker vs iSilo several years later . . .

It's been a while since Alexander reviewed/compared Plucker with iSilo. I was wondering how they compare now (several years later)?

Thanks!
~Tim
AceHarddrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:10 AM   #2
kennethmgreen
Enthusiast
kennethmgreen began at the beginning.

Device: Treo680
Really good question. I'm very interested in a comparison of the two. I've been using iSilo for awhile, but keep hearing great things about Plucker. And I'm always willing to try out software.

I've installed and deleted Plucker twice over the years. Maybe it's improved. Never really hated it - in fact, Plucker was fine. But the navigation and hard-button customization that iSilo developed is top-notch. For me, being used to iSilo, there were little things that made it a superior product to me (and not just me being used to one product over the other). For example, in iSilo's button customization, you can use directional keys to move around a document. But once a link is selected, directional keys jump from link to link. It was a very elegant solution to having a limited number of hardware buttons.
kennethmgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2007, 12:42 PM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Same here. I tried Plucker various times, the last time because of Laurens' top-notch Sunrise application which only supports the Plucker format, but no matter how hard I tried, I found iSilo more convenient and faster.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 04:12 PM   #4
johnnaryry
Connoisseur
johnnaryry doesn't litterjohnnaryry doesn't litter

Device: 64GB Apple iPad 3 WiFi, 32GB Apple iPhone 4S
The same here: iSilo is so incredibely elegant, simple and effortless to use. In comparison, Plucker seems to have a frustratingly steep learning curve...
johnnaryry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:59 AM   #5
kennethmgreen
Enthusiast
kennethmgreen began at the beginning.

Device: Treo680
Have you guys tried the latest Plucker?

I found this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492

The comments near the end of that thread suggest Plucker has come a long way since previous versions. I don't remember how long ago I last tried Plucker, but may give it another shot when I get some time.
kennethmgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2007, 11:06 AM   #6
doogie68
Connoisseur
doogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it is

Device: TX
I can do a lot with Plucker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethmgreen
For example, in iSilo's button customization, you can use directional keys to move around a document. But once a link is selected, directional keys jump from link to link. It was a very elegant solution to having a limited number of hardware buttons.
In Plucker, there is quite a bit of customization you can do with the hard buttons, and for that matter, Graffiti gestures, screen drags, etc. Based on your comment I do something similar in my Plucker setup to what you do in iSilo... I've gotten my Tungsten E2 to the point where I really don't need the stylus at all. For example, here are my settings, all of which are totally customizable:

-- I can scroll up and down the document with the 5-way up/down presses
-- I can jump forward to the next hyperlink or back to the preceding hyperlink using the left/right presses of the 5-way. Center button selects the hyperlink once one is highlighted.

-- Left-most of four hard buttons is the "back" button (previous webpage)

-- Second button is "forward" (next page viewed in history if there is one to go forward to)

-- Third hard button is "toggle autoscroll" on and off. Once autoscroll is started, the up and down buttons on the 5-way increase or decrease the speed.

-- [I don't use the fourth button, have it reserved to launch something else even if I'm still in Plucker. Plucker will disable "normal" hard button activity.]

-- I have the screen set to drag the view if I drag the stylus. You can set it instead so that taps in each of four regions of the screen can be assigned to about 40 different functions. You can also use 5 graffiti gestures and assign each to about 40 functions, but I don't use those either.

The one thing that I wasn't able to do until recently is access the menus with only hard keys, and Alexander Pruss' great new Center Menu program enables that with a center-key hold. I can now do just about everything now without a stylus.

There's only one function I can't do with Plucker and hard buttons, and that's access the drop-down box that allows me to select where in the document to jump to (10%-20%-30%, etc.)

It's a great program, though it hasn't really been updated in a new release version in about 2+ years. But the price is certainly right!

Last edited by doogie68; 01-28-2007 at 11:13 AM.
doogie68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:26 PM   #7
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
Plucker is not dead, just on "vacation"

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie68
It's a great program, though it hasn't really been updated in a new release version in about 2+ years. But the price is certainly right!
Its not dead, but those who work on its public-facing components have been very busy with day jobs, real life, families, other projects and so on.

Some updates have been made to the code very recently, and the hourly snapshots just gained a few new features that have been requested over the years.

I have received quite a few large patches to Plucker Desktop in my inbox, which I need to review, apply, test and commit... which may bring Plucker Desktop 2.0 to the masses very soon.. we'll see.
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:42 AM   #8
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
You gotta believe hacker... he is something like the granddaddy of plucker. Cool guy!
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:52 AM   #9
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
I'd say Plucker is good enough for the vast majority of uses. (Tables being the exception.) I agree that iSilo is, overall, a better application, but since it's commercial it better be.

At any rate, iSilo development hasn't been very active either.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 04:02 AM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens
At any rate, iSilo development hasn't been very active either.
My guess is that they spent the last months on porting iSilo to Symbian. See here.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:12 AM   #11
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
My guess is that they spent the last months on porting iSilo to Symbian. See here.
Didn't it support Symbian already?
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 04:28 AM   #12
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Laurens, you are right! The latest release adds support for Symbian S60 3rd Edition, though I don't know how much has changed between the Symbian versions.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:41 AM   #13
doogie68
Connoisseur
doogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it is

Device: TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker
Some updates have been made to the code very recently, and the hourly snapshots just gained a few new features that have been requested over the years.
hacker, I'd like to personally thank you and Alex Pruss and all the others that have made Plucker such a fantastic program-- it is without question the one application I use most intensively on my Palm (in concert with Laurens' great SunriseXP). I'm quite aware that Plucker's constantly being updated, that's why I stated "release version"-- maybe I was being too subtle. Alex Pruss was particularly helpful some months ago when I was having problems with Plucker crashing on large documents on my NVFS-memory Tungsten E2. So I'm actually using one of the snapshots right now. I've been extremely happy with good old Plucker 1.8, so I hope my last comment wasn't perceived as a "dig" at you guys...
doogie68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:05 AM   #14
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker
Its not dead, but those who work on its public-facing components have been very busy with day jobs, real life, families, other projects and so on.

I have received quite a few large patches to Plucker Desktop in my inbox, which I need to review, apply, test and commit... which may bring Plucker Desktop 2.0 to the masses very soon.. we'll see.
Sounds cool.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:09 AM   #15
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie68
In Plucker, there is quite a bit of customization you can do with
-- Third hard button is "toggle autoscroll" on and off. Once autoscroll is started, the up and down buttons on the 5-way increase or decrease the speed.
That sounds like a great trick, although I am not using a Tungsten - (m500) is this generally doable?
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote