Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-22-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Books or Music?

The discussions about the ipad have puzzled me. People have said they will probably allow the Kindle app, because Jobs just cares about music, the book market is not that big.

So, am I the only person who spends more on books than music? How much more?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I spend a lot more on books! Still spend a bit on music but books are my addiction.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2010, 08:26 PM   #3
CFarrell
CFarrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CFarrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CFarrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CFarrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CFarrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CFarrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CFarrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CFarrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CFarrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CFarrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CFarrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I spend more on books but most people listen to music, not everyone reads. My OH has never read a book in his life. Seriously. I don't get it but whatever
CFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:47 PM   #4
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
You can put any non-DRM music you want on an iPhone/iPad/Touch. You just load it into iTunes and it transfers over to the iPod portion of the device.

Also, Zune doesn't make a Zune app for the iPhone nor do any of the other proprietary music services.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:57 PM   #5
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I spend more on books for sure, they are so expensive! My music collection is often full of less legitimately sourced media, bands I am 'trialing' to see if I like before I buy them.

Jobs definitiely cares about the book market, don't let the inclusion of the Kindle app fool you. He wants to get those customers (who may have large kindle collections) onto the iPad. The kindle app makes it easy for Kindle users to move across. Then they are on his platform, and will potentially start buying the MANY things the iPad sells: magazines, comics, books, movies, tv shows, games, podcasts, software.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2010, 10:42 PM   #6
Nakor
Addict
Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre
I rarely buy or listen to any music, though I imagine I'm a bit of an exception in having that disinterest.
Nakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:52 PM   #7
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Let's face it, the majority of big-profit consumers--the 15-35s--are spending more money on music than books right now... yes, we're the minority. (What can I say? We're special.)

OTOH, the music industry is losing a lot of money to piracy, and Apple is one of the most successful entities in turning some of those users into paid customers. I imagine they hope to do the same to the e-book industry, but as they know where their larger income is coming from, they are probably not that worried about it.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:24 PM   #8
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
I spend more on reading material (meaning books, magazines, and comic books) than I do on music. One of the main reasons is I have a large music collection already and there is little new music that I'm interested in.

In the past I was spending significantly more on music when CD was introduced since I was buying both new music and rebuying music that I already had on LPs, 45s, and cassettes. Now, rebuying has basically ended and while my reading material buying has dropped a bit I still buy a significant amount each month.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:31 PM   #9
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Jobs wants to sell books for sure -- but he also wants to sell music, apps, tv shows, movies -- and of course, more iPads. I seriously doubt that Apple has more to lose by accepting the Kindle app than they have to gain by it.

You can use iTunes to load music on the iPhone/iPod that you don't buy from Apple. There are many music apps like Pandora that compete with folks buying music from iTunes. I think this particular boogeyman is overblown.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:20 AM   #10
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I spend much more on books than music - I also read much more than I listen to music, or watch TV/Movies. The big reason I don't really listen to music or watch much video these days is because they're not very tolerant of interruption and I find I get about 2-3 minutes in to a song or show and something happens so I have to stop.

After taking three tries just to listen to one song all the way through without interruption, I tend to stop bothering.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:16 PM   #11
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Since leaving school, the majority of my reading purchases have been for newspapers and magazines rather than books. I am sure that I spent more money on music.

But considering the investment I have since December put into my new eBook reader, it's going to be a long time before my music purchases match that sum.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:48 PM   #12
Jaime_Astorga
Member Retired
Jaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-350-SC: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
Unless you count the listening device, I haven't spent any money at all in music. Conversely, as recently as this year I have had to spend a lot of money buying university textbooks.
Jaime_Astorga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:30 AM   #13
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
Books definitely in the majority, by both cost and volume - whilst music is a pleasure to me, reading will always be the preferred addiction :-)
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:58 AM   #14
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Books by far - of course this is the wrong place to ask that question I'm sure the results will be pretty skewed

Until we moved recently I went several years without turning on the radio in my car - of course it was only a 5 minute drive to work so, by the time I found a song to listen to, I was here.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:58 AM   #15
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
Books by far - of course this is the wrong place to ask that question I'm sure the results will be pretty skewed
But of course, that is why I asked it! Seriously, I guess we all determine what is "normal" based around those around us. Most of the younger people I see have ear buds in their ears, listening to music (I presume). But the older people (35+) seem to all be reading books or newspapers. But of course, the commuters into the city are probably not a broad cross-section of the population.

I don't know if this is a generational thing - I always spent more on books than music, starting with textbooks when I first had discretionary funds. Truly, I could care less about the newest ipod, but I check this forum daily to make sure I know what the newest reading device is. It is not that I don't listen to music - I listen to the radio when I am cooking with my DH on the weekends, and turn on the radio in the car, mostly to listen to news about the Cubs.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote