Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: New New Home Screen (4.4.9298) or Old Home Screen?
New New Home Screen (4.4.9288) 63 45.99%
Old Home Screen 74 54.01%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2017, 06:28 PM   #91
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiieey View Post
And if you disable the option to have the book cover as the screensaver
indeed that would be an exceptionally good idea too.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:33 AM   #92
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
not if the device is turned off.

best wishes koboy
I thought it still showed the cover when turned off, or maybe I'm just imagining things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiieey View Post
And if you disable the option to have the book cover as the screensaver
TIL, didn't know that option existed
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2017, 11:48 PM   #93
Sharon Jackson
Sharon Jackson began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I very much prefer the old home screen. The shopfront on the home screen is a *huge issue* for me because my children use a kobo and now they are seeing unsolicited promotions for books even I would not read, let alone allow them to read. An 8 year old should not be seeing "New & Hot Crime" advertising with books by Lee Child, for example, on their kobo homepage. This pushing of adult book sales promotion is offensive to me.

It already annoyed me that I have had to open a second kobo account for my kids so my kids can't see all my "in the cloud" books on their device and download them without my permission (I use calibre to upload books to both devices) ... this is taking things one step too far. The less books are downloaded to the device, the more random the promotions seem to be and this is just not acceptable for under 18s.
Sharon Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:15 AM   #94
m-p{3}
m-p{3} began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Old home screen, simply because you could access beta features from it (like games, the web browser, etc).

Now for the web browser I have to go through several menus just to access the browser, and I can't access the games that were hidden in the firmware anymore. I know the average user didn't really care or was even aware of them, but I found them nice to have.
m-p{3} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:28 PM   #95
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Jackson View Post
I very much prefer the old home screen. The shopfront on the home screen is a *huge issue* for me because my children use a kobo and now they are seeing unsolicited promotions for books even I would not read, let alone allow them to read. An 8 year old should not be seeing "New & Hot Crime" advertising with books by Lee Child, for example, on their kobo homepage. This pushing of adult book sales promotion is offensive to me.

It already annoyed me that I have had to open a second kobo account for my kids so my kids can't see all my "in the cloud" books on their device and download them without my permission (I use calibre to upload books to both devices) ... this is taking things one step too far. The less books are downloaded to the device, the more random the promotions seem to be and this is just not acceptable for under 18s.
Very good points. Hope you have shared them with Kobo.

To prevent those unsolicited titles from appearing, try creating a Collection of about 5 or so books on your device, and then open one of them up. That Collection should then fill the r4ight-hand side of the screen next to My Books. That prevents the covers from those annoying unsolicited books from popping up on your screen.

It's not an elegant solution, but it might suffice until Kobo decides to change the homescreen again or give users some more control of it.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2017, 02:38 PM   #96
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-p{3} View Post
Old home screen, simply because you could access beta features from it (like games, the web browser, etc).

Now for the web browser I have to go through several menus just to access the browser, and I can't access the games that were hidden in the firmware anymore. I know the average user didn't really care or was even aware of them, but I found them nice to have.
You may be able to get the games to appear on your device if you patch it. I seem to remember seeing a thread in the developers section where people were discussing that.

You could also try installing Cool Reader on your device. There are a number of games which come with the software and it is relatively easy to install. You can read more about it on the following thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ht=Cool+Reader
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:44 PM   #97
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Very good points. Hope you have shared them with Kobo.

To prevent those unsolicited titles from appearing, try creating a Collection of about 5 or so books on your device, and then open one of them up. That Collection should then fill the r4ight-hand side of the screen next to My Books. That prevents the covers from those annoying unsolicited books from popping up on your screen.

It's not an elegant solution, but it might suffice until Kobo decides to change the homescreen again or give users some more control of it.
I agree, the concern should be shared with Kobo.

I have a wish list, and I can't remember the last time I saw something other than that on the right side of my screen, so it's also possible creating a wish list *might* help keep the undesirable covers at bay.

For me, the new home screen made the book covers larger and easier to read, so I've actually liked it, but I don't have kids and if the cats have been using my Kobo, I don't want to know about it, LOL!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote