Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-06-2017, 09:53 PM   #1
wroane
Enthusiast
wroane began at the beginning.

Device: First 3 Kindles, H2O, Last 3 years Kobo Aura One
H2O 2nd Edition or Aura One?

With the only major difference seeming to be the size, is there still a compelling reason to spend the $50 on a 1" difference? Now I might have just replaced my broken H2O instead of buying the KA1.

p.s. I forgot to add the H2O 265ppi vs Aura One 300ppi.
wroane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:22 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by wroane View Post
With the only major difference seeming to be the size, is there still a compelling reason to spend the $50 on a 1" difference?
That will be a very personal decision, but in my case if I killed my KA1 today I would replace it with a KA1. 1" doesn't sound like much, but I find my H2O sooooo small when I use it now. I would like to go for the H2O2 because I HATE capacitive touch and I'd like to go back to IR, but I just can't see myself giving up the extra size.

BTW, one other difference (currently anyway) is that the KA1 is still the only device that you can directly download library books with. I have to admit that I'm really surprised this hasn't been rolled out to other devices yet. I really thought it would be by now.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2017, 01:40 AM   #3
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Size, PPI, Overdrive, capacitive touch are all possible benefits of the KA1. Jump depends on how important those features are to you
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:28 AM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
That 1" difference translates into about 30% more reading area, if my rough calculation is correct. And the larger the area, the fewer the awkward line breaks, adding up to more effective reading area still. That's a substantial difference.

That said, I might be tempted to hold off for a bit and see if there's a fire sale on old H2Os as the new ones come out.

Basically, I'm saying that both the difference in size and difference in price might be more than you realize!
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:24 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
That will be a very personal decision, but in my case if I killed my KA1 today I would replace it with a KA1. 1" doesn't sound like much, but I find my H2O sooooo small when I use it now. I would like to go for the H2O2 because I HATE capacitive touch and I'd like to go back to IR, but I just can't see myself giving up the extra size.
Exactly this. If I had to make a choice, I'd also go for the One immediately. When I bought it, it was more curiosity than something else (ok, gadget lust...). Just to see how the 1" increase in size made a difference, not expecting it would (but I should have known better, after the 0.6" difference between my Sony and the H2O!). But it makes a huge difference.

Only the IR on the H2O, instead of the capacitive touch of the One, would pull me to the H2O.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2017, 11:13 AM   #6
challe232
Connoisseur
challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The only thing I take into consideration is for me, the size on Kobo doesn't mean more text, sadly. I had kobos for 6 yrs and new to kindle and my Paperwhite fits more words than my h2o. Yeah, there's that header hack but it didn't always work well.

That being said, if new h2o had overdrive (I heard it doesn't) than I'd pick h2o. I really liked the size of it vs the One.
challe232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:32 PM   #7
wroane
Enthusiast
wroane began at the beginning.

Device: First 3 Kindles, H2O, Last 3 years Kobo Aura One
I love my One, but if the new H2O had been out before I bought it, I might have went that way. I really liked my H2O, and with the upgrades and the price, I probably would have gone for it.
wroane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:57 PM   #8
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
I bought both models earlier this year and ended up selling the H20 on eBay.

I like the KA1's larger screen size, thinner form factor*, Overdrive integration, and the nightlight feature.

* The thinner form factor comes at the cost of battery life, but its not a big deal to me to recharge it every week or so compared to charging a cell phone daily.
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:53 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by challe232 View Post
The only thing I take into consideration is for me, the size on Kobo doesn't mean more text, sadly. I had kobos for 6 yrs and new to kindle and my Paperwhite fits more words than my h2o. Yeah, there's that header hack but it didn't always work well.

That being said, if new h2o had overdrive (I heard it doesn't) than I'd pick h2o. I really liked the size of it vs the One.
Then you must have a lot smaller font size on your PW than on your H2O as my husband's PW had less words than I had on my H2O. (but I never use kepub, so I don't need a "header hack", I simply turn off the header in the settings)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:08 AM   #10
thomasn75
Groupie
thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o v2, kobo Aura, sony prs t1
For me the deciding factor for going for the H20 edition 2 is that the aura one is to big for my coat pocket and consequently inconvenient to carry round.
thomasn75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:45 AM   #11
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasn75 View Post
For me the deciding factor for going for the H20 edition 2 is that the aura one is to big for my coat pocket and consequently inconvenient to carry round.
Exactly my thoughts. The one wouldn't fit in my handbag.

I love my h2o, but the charging port is getting a bit loose, and the battery isn't holding up so well. Looking forward to the new model, especially if it's a little lighter, but wishing the SD card was still there.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote