Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-01-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
"The Strain" DRM crashing Kobo?

I just want to share my past few days dealing with what I think is a bad ebook. I first bought The Strain, by Guillermo Del Toro from Books On Board. It took over a minute to open on my Kobo and every action after took about a minute. Within 10 minutes my kobo had frozen. I had to go back to Chapters and have them re-install my OS from an SD card.
Still wanting to read the book I decided to purchase it from Kobo this time. Now I am having the same issues. I am going to remove the book before it can cause further damage. I'm just wondering if anyone else out there has had a problem similar to this or with this exact book? I assume the file created by the publisher is bad in some way? Personally I suspect its the DRM that has caused all the problems. I'd also like to mention that it has some of the worst formatting I've ever seen on an ebook.

On another note does anyone know where I can get a 'good' copy of The Strain?
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:02 PM   #2
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duiker View Post
I just want to share my past few days dealing with what I think is a bad ebook. I first bought The Strain, by Guillermo Del Toro from Books On Board. It took over a minute to open on my Kobo and every action after took about a minute. Within 10 minutes my kobo had frozen. I had to go back to Chapters and have them re-install my OS from an SD card.
Still wanting to read the book I decided to purchase it from Kobo this time. Now I am having the same issues. I am going to remove the book before it can cause further damage. I'm just wondering if anyone else out there has had a problem similar to this or with this exact book? I assume the file created by the publisher is bad in some way? Personally I suspect its the DRM that has caused all the problems. I'd also like to mention that it has some of the worst formatting I've ever seen on an ebook.

IF you're okay with this, strip the DRM and convert it in Calibre EPUB to EPUB. I've heard that it sometimes fixes bugs in certain books. That way you don't have to waste money on another book if it works.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 04:14 PM   #3
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
IF you're okay with this, strip the DRM and convert it in Calibre EPUB to EPUB. I've heard that it sometimes fixes bugs in certain books. That way you don't have to waste money on another book if it works.
Honestly I find the idea of stripping the DRM daunting. I've never done it before and I'm on a mac so I don't know if that makes it harder. I'd like to learn though.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:16 PM   #4
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Honestly I find the idea of stripping the DRM daunting. I've never done it before and I'm on a mac so I don't know if that makes it harder. I'd like to learn though.
Go here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92462

They must know where you can get a good copy
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:08 AM   #5
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I have seen pirate copies of that book floating around if you would be more comfortable with those. I don't know if they are fan-made ebooks or just liberated pro-made ones. You could also try contacting one of the writers if they have an online presence. They would be more likely to want you to read the book than the publishers, especially if you have already paid for it.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2010, 08:41 AM   #6
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
You might consider contacting the publisher, Harper Collins.

Alternately, it's available from the Toronto Public Library as an ebook in ePub format. There's a hold list (including me) but its only 6 people long and I might drop out. I may borrow it just to check out the experience. My Kobo has never locked up.

I agree with your reticence on stripping DRM. OTOH, in this instance, since you've already bought a copy, "stumbling" across an unlocked one as a replacement doesn't strike me as wrong.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:38 PM   #7
Duiker
Addict

Update. I realized the other day that I hadn't tried uploading the book using the Kobo app.
I bought it whilel I was at work and since my work computer at work doesn't have the kobo app on it only ADE that's what I used. Well, I uploaded it at home using the kobo app and now it works with no problems AND has much better formatting. Very odd.
Just to see what would happen, thanks to a mobileread member (surprisingly easy), I learned to strip the DRM from it and it still slowed down my kobo, so it's not just the DRM that caused the problem. I really have no idea why it's different but it is. Even when I load the stripped version from Calibre it's the same problem.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:46 PM   #8
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Now you can unzip it and look at the stylesheet file. I'm betting it's very large, and with duplicated styles. I've put a hold on it from the library, so eventually I'll get to take a look at it.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:09 PM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Duiker--if you have a non DRM ePub file, try converting ePUB to ePUB in Calibre before adding it to your reader--see if that changes anything.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:08 AM   #10
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
I didn't have any trouble reading it on my Kindle DX last fall. Though I wasn't particularly impressed by the story.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:10 AM   #11
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
The Kindle DX file would be completely different from the DRM ePub Duiker was trying to load on to his Kobo.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:25 PM   #12
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
The Kindle DX file would be completely different from the DRM ePub Duiker was trying to load on to his Kobo.
I realize that, I was just pointing out that it wasn't on the kindle file so that it could be more properly diagnosed to the DRM having the issue, not the source text or formatting that seems to plague some files.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:39 PM   #13
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connallmac View Post
I realize that, I was just pointing out that it wasn't on the kindle file so that it could be more properly diagnosed to the DRM having the issue, not the source text or formatting that seems to plague some files.
Poor formating could well be the issue though. Both books purchased are DRM'ed ePUB's and they essentially crashed the Kobo.

The liberated ebook still caused issues but allowed, at least, the Kobo to function.

I have not had an ebook crash either of my readers as yet, but have had some purchased ePUB's that assumed I read on a 3" wide device. In those cases (books 1-2 of a series), I removed the DRM and reprocessed the ebook via caibre. After that, all was well.

It would be interesting to see how Duiker's purchases perform on another ereader.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:10 PM   #14
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connallmac View Post
Sorry, but it doesn't do any good to draw a comparison between a Kindle/Mobipocket file & an ePub; it could very well be formatting or source text, since the process of creating a Kindle file strips out a lot of formatting from the source.

You could say that if you were comparing a B&N ePub and a different DRM ePub, though.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote