Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-31-2014, 09:09 PM   #121
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
but for paperbacks the writing is on the wall, I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Oh no. When did that start? Walls are not really portable, you know.

(Sorry. Couldn't resist )
Don't be silly. The writing is on the wall-paper. You just steam it off, roll it up, and walk away.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:32 PM   #122
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
Pretty much this.

One concern I have with the demise of paper (or rather, the notion of its demise) is the current situation where 4 billion people are without internet access, 1.6 billion of whom do not even have electricity.
True enough, but how many of these want to read, can even read? Where can they get pbooks from now? Do they even have time for reading? I have been to many villages in poor countries and reading is not a high priority.

Last edited by HansTWN; 01-31-2014 at 11:34 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:41 PM   #123
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
True enough, but how many of these want to read, can even read? Where can they get pbooks from now? Do they even have time for reading? I have been to many villages in poor countries and reading is not a high priority.
We rarely realize how fortunate we are. Makes me want to cry strangely.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:10 AM   #124
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
We rarely realize how fortunate we are. Makes me want to cry strangely.

Helen
Yes, but remember also how many billions of people have been pulled out of abject poverty over the last few decades and enjoy decent standards of living today. Can't expect it all to happen in a very short time.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:11 AM   #125
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Reading might just be that first necessary step to get out of that poverty.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:27 AM   #126
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
It wasn't that long ago in terms of history when books were very rare either. One of the kings of France (I think Louis 14th) had what was considered to be a large library at the time. In all he had 24 books. Not 240, not 2,400, just 24 books. Not enough to fill even one bookcase now days, but back then books had to be hand copied (before Gutenberg) and so books were both rare and expensive. In fact those who had them had them held in leather covered wooden binders which were chained to the table. The idea was that if a rich person had a visitor who could read they would be able to read the books (with their host's permission of course) but the books couldn't just up and walk out the door in the trunks of the guest when they returned home. Now days we use bar codes to do much the same thing but it's done in order to make sure that someone pays for the book before they leave the store.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:42 PM   #127
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Don't be silly. The writing is on the wall-paper. You just steam it off, roll it up, and walk away.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:41 PM   #128
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
It wasn't that long ago in terms of history when books were very rare either. One of the kings of France (I think Louis 14th) had what was considered to be a large library at the time. In all he had 24 books. Not 240, not 2,400, just 24 books. Not enough to fill even one bookcase now days, but back then books had to be hand copied (before Gutenberg) and so books were both rare and expensive. In fact those who had them had them held in leather covered wooden binders which were chained to the table. The idea was that if a rich person had a visitor who could read they would be able to read the books (with their host's permission of course) but the books couldn't just up and walk out the door in the trunks of the guest when they returned home. Now days we use bar codes to do much the same thing but it's done in order to make sure that someone pays for the book before they leave the store.
Even nowdays we have library sections being "read-only" (i.e.: loan and taking away not allowed)
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:48 PM   #129
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
if I recall correctly, the stats are that about 1 billion people qualify as functionally illiterate. Yes, many more don't read due to economic challenges. One of the triumphs of printing press was that it made literacy achievable for the masses to a degree previously impossible. It's largely responsible for raising our species out of feudalism and ignorance- an ongoing process.

If we believe that literacy and the democratization of human knowledge is vital for the well being of our civilization, then moving to a medium that requires goods and services inaccessible to much of the world's population may not be the best idea. Fortunately I don't think that's happening any time soon.

Last edited by OtterBooks; 02-01-2014 at 04:52 PM.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:11 PM   #130
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
Even nowdays we have library sections being "read-only" (i.e.: loan and taking away not allowed)
It makes me think about the Library sketch by Mr. Bean, in which he utterly destroys a book hundreds of years old. If not for the stupidity of coming back to get his £1 bookmark from it, he would have gotten away with it.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:56 PM   #131
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
True. My local library has such a section. It's where the reference books such as encyclopedia's are kept among other books. You can look stuff up and even photo copy articles so that you have the info. when writing something up (at least when I was a kid I did so) but you can't remove the books from the library.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:48 PM   #132
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
It's not about technical difficulties. It is, as corny as it sounds, about freedom.

DRM isn't an issue if you stay within the walled garden. It's a beautiful garden, and if you are not curious about what's outside of it, or, heaven forbid, want to venture beyond the tall walls with the spikes on top, you won't feel trapped.

DRM becomes an issue if you want actual choice or have a desire to properly own the e-books you have purchased. Because with DRM, the only way out of the garden is naked and without anything you bought while you dwelled inside it. (Unless you don't mind doing what amounts to breaking the law.)
I get all of that, but you left out the remainder of my post where I addressed those points.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:42 AM   #133
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
I think the attached image from Teleread sums it up in a lot of ways.

People are generally resistant to any form of change. Change forces people out of comfort zones and that familiarity of using or doing something the same way they have done all their lives.

My parents (both in their 70's) both have iPad's and my Father commented to me that Mum loves it. Email, games, Facebook and Facebook messages, reading magazines. All good and something she has dove into with great courage ignoring that resistance to change. Dad is no different and the phone calls I used to get when they had a PC have diminished significantly. Now Mum is talking "Kindle".

I cannot read on a tablet myself as my eyes do not like backlit LCD screens for the time required to get into an ebook. So I do hope that a single purpose device like an e-ink ereader remains purchasable. I am sure it will as single use devices are masters of what they do and provide no distractions like email, message alerts and an icon with a disgruntled bird on it.
I find myself completely surprised at some who are anti digital reading (tablet, smartphone, ereader or other). My roommate's son, at 19 addicted to his video games and computer for the last 10 plus years, is anti ebook on any device while she and her mom and dad (her stepmom is not really a reader) are all into ebooks. I guess it's my fault. I bought a lot of six pocketpc's a few years ago and handed them out. They took to them like fish to water.

I prefer a tablet for reading as I don't read outdoors much although if the price was right a paper-white reader for reading outdoors is a possibility. I got used to the backlight for reading with my old pocketpc around 2001 but had been reading on my computer for a couple of years before that. Now I much prefer to do my reading with the lights out and the only light in the room from my monitors and possibly the tv. I often read six or more hours a day and find there is no more eyestrain than when I would read paper books for the same amount of time. The thing I do notice is my hands don't hurt from holding a heavy book lol.

As for it being the paper versions of books still around in 200 years... well only if printed on acid free paper and kept in proper conditions. The few "paper" books I have are starting to yellow quite badly and they are less than 20 years old. I can't imagine what condition they would be in in the year 2200 lol.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:49 AM   #134
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
If I had to guess, I'd expect the dedicated reader to continue dropping in price for the next few years, and fade away in another decade, though I could easily be wrong.

I do see tablets continuing, and taking over from the dedicated reader, especially as prices drop. Phones are too small, but tablets have the form and function people need. At the same time, I don't expect tablets to be the same as they are now. Not only will resolution continue to climb, but I expect the screen technology to improve to the point that most come with a reflective mode for reading.
I would disagree that phones are too small as we see the samsung note with a five inch screen. I would switch to one for a reader if it wasn't still at a 600 plus price tag here (I don't use my cell enough to spring for a $50 plus cell phone bill to get one at special prices.)

A five inch screen is a lovely size for a reader, mind you I was used to the smaller screen on my old pocketpc.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:09 AM   #135
LadyKate
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
It's not about technical difficulties. It is, as corny as it sounds, about freedom.

DRM isn't an issue if you stay within the walled garden. It's a beautiful garden, and if you are not curious about what's outside of it, or, heaven forbid, want to venture beyond the tall walls with the spikes on top, you won't feel trapped.

DRM becomes an issue if you want actual choice or have a desire to properly own the e-books you have purchased. Because with DRM, the only way out of the garden is naked and without anything you bought while you dwelled inside it. (Unless you don't mind doing what amounts to breaking the law.)
Actually DMR is a problem if the reader breaks and the place you purchased the ebook is no longer in existence.

I was just reading a post in another forum asking for assistance because they can no longer access books they bought because they upgraded to windows 8 and the reader will not open the book (the newly installed reader does not recognize the ebook as belonging to him).

For that reason alone DMR is a pain.