Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: October 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson 22 25.88%
Risen by Jan Strnad 41 48.24%
Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay 22 25.88%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-28-2010, 11:19 AM   #31
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Was it uphill? Both ways?
And don't forget the hurricane winds blowing against him both ways, as well.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:43 AM   #32
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I've already started reading Risen by Jan Strnad and so far it's every bit as great as I hoped, but this thread had stirred my interest in The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson as well. I know I haven't read it, but I can't recall if I listened to it as an audiobook years ago or not, although I believe I did. I have seen the silent film version, and may even have a copy in in my video collection somewhere. I'll have to download a copy of Dr. Jekyll and put in in my To Be Read collection on my Kindle.

Fortunately, =X= uploaded a copy to MobileRead.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32200

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 09-28-2010 at 11:47 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:06 PM   #33
mopping five
Enthusiast
mopping five doesn't littermopping five doesn't litter

Device: nook
A little-known fact about Jan Strnad: his groundbreaking research in an arcane field led to the cure of an agonizing, ultimately fatal disease so rare it had no name.

In a snowstorm.

Last edited by mopping five; 09-28-2010 at 01:09 PM.
mopping five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:42 PM   #34
FRKikos
FRKikos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Bought Risen yesterday.
So far, a great read.

Congrat to the author for giving us a good (drm free) book for 3 bucks !
FRKikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:16 PM   #35
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRKikos View Post
Bought Risen yesterday.
So far, a great read.
Nope, not me. I've learned my lesson about reading them too early. The last couple of times I read the chosen selection right after it was elected and I found I forgot too many of the finer points by the time the official discussion starts several weeks later. I'll start mid-month.

Of course, I have a mind like leaky pipe. You smarter folk might get away with it.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:53 PM   #36
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
Nope, not me. I've learned my lesson about reading them too early. The last couple of times I read the chosen selection right after it was elected and I found I forgot too many of the finer points by the time the official discussion starts several weeks later. I'll start mid-month.

Of course, I have a mind like leaky pipe. You smarter folk might get away with it.
Not to mention that it hasn't actually, you know, won yet.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:05 PM   #37
FRKikos
FRKikos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post

LOL !

Not an issue for me. Not that I'm smarter than you.
It's just that I lack the vocabulary to discuss the book later.
But I'll read you guys...

Last edited by FRKikos; 09-28-2010 at 04:28 PM. Reason: 'passive reader' doesn't translate well from french
FRKikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:16 PM   #38
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Well, I bought it.
It's officially on my "31 Horror Novels in October" reading list.
recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:18 PM   #39
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by recluse View Post
Well, I bought it.
It's officially on my "31 Horror Novels in October" reading list.
recluse, the smilies are a definite plus to your posts.

I have it also, and I am going to try to get to it this month.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:29 PM   #40
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
What else is on the 31 horror novels list, if you don't mind sharing?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:45 PM   #41
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
What else is on the 31 horror novels list, if you don't mind sharing?
Yes, do tell. I don't scare easily and am looking for something truly terrifying.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:14 PM   #42
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't mind.

"Darker Than You Think": Jack Williamson
"The Beetle": Richard Marsh
"The Night Country": Stewart O'Nan
"Falling Angel": William Hjortsberg
"The Pet": Charles L. Grant
"Ghost Story": Peter Straub
"Moon": James Herbert
"Ghosts": Noel Hynd
"Under The Overtree": James A. Moore
"CandleNight": Phil Rickman
"The Horror Club": Mark Morris
"Demon Night": J. Michael Straczynski
"The Other": Thomas Tryon
"The Revelation": Bentley Little
"The Uncanny": Andrew Klavan
"The Ghost Writer": John Harwood
"Goat Dance": Douglas Clegg
"The Mad Cook of Pymatuning": Christopher Lehmann-Haupt
"The Missing": Sarah Langan
"The Girl Next Door": Jack Ketchum
"For Fear of the Night": Charles L. Grant
"The Dark Chamber": Leonard Cline
"To Wake The Dead": Richard Laymon
"Anno Dracula": Kim Newman
"Sineater": Elizabeth Massie
"Soulstorm": Chet Williamson
"The Totem": David Morrell
"Usher's Passing": Robert R. McCammon
"Melmoth the Wanderer": Charles Maturin
"The Jewel of Seven Stars": Bram Stoker

Last edited by recluse; 10-01-2010 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Finalized Reading List
Old 09-29-2010, 01:52 AM   #43
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Quote:
Originally Posted by recluse View Post
I don't mind.

"Melmoth the Wanderer": Charles Maturin
Great book!

If you like it, you might also enjoy "The Monk" by Matthew Lewis.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:50 AM   #44
recluse
Banned

Excellent book!
One of my favorites!

By the way, this list is not official. I may do some substitutions before September 30th.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:34 AM   #45
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
I can't do 31, but I have these to read:

The Strain
The Fall
Risen

Should be a fun month.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote