Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-03-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
Kindle ignorant question

Without forcing me to search this very extensive site, someone tell if the Kindle permits changing to a black background w/white lettering? I think it's called "inverse" format.
Thx, d
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
Without forcing me to search this very extensive site, someone tell if the Kindle permits changing to a black background w/white lettering?
Perhaps it's something that may one day show up, but currently, no.

Kindle for PC might let you do it, though, and possibly Kindle for iPhone/iPad (I think I read about font/colour-adjustment options for those, but someone else with the relevant hardware will have to confirm/deny).
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
RiverY
RiverY
RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindles, Sony, & nc
I don't know about the new Kindles, but versions 1 and 2 do not. The Kindle app for the Itouch does have that option, as I assume so do the other applications.

The Kindle devices, as they are, are really very easy on the eyes. I do use the white lettering on my touch when reading in the dark or outside.
RiverY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Kindle for PC does let you do this, but not the Kindle device itself.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:16 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

I'm not sure an e-Ink screen inverted (night mode) would make a lot of sense because the screen is not backlit. I think it would probably just require more lamp lighting to read. It does make sense with backlit LCD screens because you can turn down the brightness and read in near darkness without much glare.

If someone wanted to test whether inverting an e-Ink screen improves reading in low light areas, they could creat a simple html file and set the CSS for the body tag to:

body { color: white; background-color: black; }

That would set the page color to black and the text color to white. Or you could add this tag in calibre when you convert a book.

Last edited by jswinden; 08-03-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 03:29 PM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
For me (my eyes are not the best), I find that, with white letters on a dark background, the darkness tends to overwhelm the light letters. I read much better with dark letters on a white background. To each his/her own, though.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:32 PM   #7
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, that is disappointing. I have been waiting for my bank to update my mailing address so I could order one of the new Kindles, but I'm not so sure now.

This has become a near essential option for me (together w/dictionary lookup, which the Astak doesn't have). The PPro does not allow it in DRM format but I use it all the time in everything else.

I never thought about Calibre. Good thought, Jack. Oh, and it does not take more light. It has become my preferred mode day or night. Have tried to analyze why but haven't figured it out yet.

Thanks, all, for your quick responses. d
Old 08-03-2010, 03:45 PM   #8
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If you can comfortably read a paper book you should be able to comfortably read on an ereader with e-ink.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:57 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

I created an inverted file with black page and white text. I created a simple HTML file then used calibre to convert it to MOBI and ePub. The ePub works great on my Sony Pocket edition (see attached photo). However, the MOBI just shows up as a white page with white text, in other words a blank page. I loaded it on my Kindle DXG along with the *.HTML file renamed to *.TXT. The MOBI showed up blank and the TXT file looked like a normal book, that is black text on white page. Apparently the Kindle overrides a back page and turns it white. I attached the files for anyone who might want to test this out. I really don't think it looks good in low light siutuations, but someone else might.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0122.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	56102  
Attached Files
File Type: epub Night View (Inverted) Sample - W5JCK.epub (98.7 KB, 182 views)
File Type: mobi Night View (Inverted) Sample - W5JCK.mobi (6.3 KB, 172 views)
File Type: txt night-view-sample.txt (6.1 KB, 164 views)

Last edited by jswinden; 08-03-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:52 PM   #10
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I created an inverted file with black page and white text. I created a simple HTML file then used calibre to convert it to MOBI and ePub. The ePub works great on my Sony Pocket edition (see attached photo). However, the MOBI just shows up as a white page with white text, in other words a blank page. I loaded it on my Kindle DXG along with the *.HTML file renamed to *.TXT. The MOBI showed up blank and the TXT file looked like a normal book, that is black text on white page. Apparently the Kindle overrides a back page and turns it white. I attached the files for anyone who might want to test this out. I really don't think it looks good in low light siutuations, but someone else might.

My EYES! Teh Burnses, teh does! Whay a gawd-awful way to display text!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #11
CharlieBird
¿Huh?

Your examples don't look at all like the FB2 and ePub on my PPro. When I use night mode on FBReader or Cool Reader I prefer a very, very dark blue background with very light yellow text.

It may have something to do with the radial keratotomy I had done many, many years ago. My eyes are light sensitive, although bright sunlight doesn't bother me. Don't know. I guess we all are just different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
If you can comfortably read a paper book you should be able to comfortably read on an ereader with e-ink.
I really don't have any trouble reading paperbacks or e-ink...just prefer night mode.
d
Old 08-03-2010, 06:06 PM   #12
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Your examples don't look at all like the FB2 and ePub on my PPro. When I use night mode on FBReader or Cool Reader I prefer a very, very dark blue background with very light yellow text.

It may have something to do with the radial keratotomy I had done many, many years ago. My eyes are light sensitive, although bright sunlight doesn't bother me. Don't know. I guess we all are just different.

I really don't have any trouble reading paperbacks or e-ink...just prefer night mode.
d
Honestly... You'd probably do better on the K2/K3 by jacking up the font size. I know that helps me under less-than-optimal lighting.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:13 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Since e-Ink screens are greyscale, there won't be any way to create a blue background with yellow text. To do that will require a color screen. And unless that screen is backlit, it will be difficult to read the text.

If I were you I would find someone with a new Kindle DXG, or wait until the K3s arrive, and take a look at the Pearl (3rd generation) e-Ink screens. They are greatly improved over the 2nd generation e-Ink screens. Plus the K3 is supposed to allow you to select from a few fonts. You might find that reading on the K3 is much better than previous e-Ink readers.

Quote:
My EYES! Teh Burnses, teh does! Whay a gawd-awful way to display text!
I definitely agree with that. I hate websites that have a dark background and light text. Not only is it hard on my eyes to read, but when you look away from the screen your eyes still have the negative image for a while. However, with a backlit screen on low brightness some people find it useful at night, though personally I find it difficult to read.

Last edited by jswinden; 08-03-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:48 PM   #14
CharlieBird
¿Huh?

Now that it is interesting, Jack, because I also dislike websites w/dark backgrounds and light text. I'd not thought of it before you mentioned it. I spent quite a bit of time the past week on Darkreverser's site and really found it difficult. Maybe it's because websites are full screen and I seldom if ever open an eReader up full except on my two small screens. I also never read full length books on my PC, just long articles that I've saved with Web2FB2.

It was the font choices, dictionary lookup and the new design that finally got me to consider a Kindle. Well, plus everyone that has one seems well satisfied. I just never liked the way it looked. Don't know what the DXG is, but will go take a look.
d
Old 08-03-2010, 06:53 PM   #15
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Now that it is interesting, Jack, because I also dislike websites w/dark backgrounds and light text. I'd not thought of it before you mentioned it. I spent quite a bit of time the past week on Darkreverser's site and really found it difficult. Maybe it's because websites are full screen and I seldom if ever open an eReader up full except on my two small screens. I also never read full length books on my PC, just long articles that I've saved with Web2FB2.

It was the font choices, dictionary lookup and the new design that finally got me to consider a Kindle. Well, plus everyone that has one seems well satisfied. I just never liked the way it looked. Don't know what the DXG is, but will go take a look.
d
The Kindle DX is the large (9.7") screen version. The DXG is the graphite-gray, thinner and lighter *NEW* DX. Better (more contrasty) display.

Derek