Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-29-2008, 08:06 PM   #1
KindleKid
Zealot
KindleKid began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Cheap ebook reader for what I need...

Hello all,

I'm a first time poster and my first and so far only ebook reader is Amazon's Kindle. I use it for school and for my job as a filmmaker. I was having trouble with my screenplays on it because of formatting issues, but then I discovered PDFRead! All my troubles are over. I can't use the dictionary but I don't need to look up word from my own script anyway. I use it for other things too, like my shot lists, production reports etc. It's a lot easier than handling what can accumulate to hundreds of pages. Saves, trees, money and space. You'd think money wouldn't be an issue but these printed pages have added up in the past!

Anyway, I want to be able to have ebook readers for some of the senior staff on my set. They don't need all the frills of a Kindle. They just need to function and support PDFRead conversion. Any good suggestions? I want the most affordable because really all I'm looking for is function. I'd prefer not using pocket PCs only because they are tiny, perhaps I'll have some for some crew but I'd like to try to get ebook readers, they don't need to be liquid paper. Perhaps devices at or under $100?
KindleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:33 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleKid View Post
Hello all,

I'm a first time poster and my first and so far only ebook reader is Amazon's Kindle. I use it for school and for my job as a filmmaker. I was having trouble with my screenplays on it because of formatting issues, but then I discovered PDFRead! All my troubles are over. I can't use the dictionary but I don't need to look up word from my own script anyway. I use it for other things too, like my shot lists, production reports etc. It's a lot easier than handling what can accumulate to hundreds of pages. Saves, trees, money and space. You'd think money wouldn't be an issue but these printed pages have added up in the past!

Anyway, I want to be able to have ebook readers for some of the senior staff on my set. They don't need all the frills of a Kindle. They just need to function and support PDFRead conversion. Any good suggestions? I want the most affordable because really all I'm looking for is function. I'd prefer not using pocket PCs only because they are tiny, perhaps I'll have some for some crew but I'd like to try to get ebook readers, they don't need to be liquid paper. Perhaps devices at or under $100?
Don't most of your crew already have laptops? Why do they need ebook readers?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2008, 09:00 PM   #3
KindleKid
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Don't most of your crew already have laptops? Why do they need ebook readers?
Laptops are pain in the butt when you're moving around so much. Ebook readers have just the right size screen and mobility. Just wondering if there are any at or under $100 around that can do PDFRead, and if there are any god sources before I going into bidding wars on ebay.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:06 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Laptops are pain in the butt when you're moving around so much. Ebook readers have just the right size screen and mobility. Just wondering if there are any at or under $100 around that can do PDFRead, and if there are any god sources before I going into bidding wars on ebay.
If you want something that has an eInk screen, about the most affordable you will find is a USED Sony PRS-500. You can usually find them on eBay or here in the flea market for $200 or less.

For a new device your best bet would probably be a Sony PRS-505 that you can find for about $270 at Walmart, Frys and a few other online places.

If you don't want eInk, take a look at the eBookWise.com device. It is about $139. Not sure about the conversion from a PDF though. But, if the are your scripts... in other words you have a Word document than you can save it as text or some format the device will work with.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:09 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm a Script Supervisor and I use a laptop and have for 15 years for all my notes. E-book readers are great for just reading but would make it very difficult to make script break-downs and changes (especially on the fly). I usually get scripts in pdf and/or as Word docs. Everyone on the sets that I'm on have laptops anyway, might as well use them.
Advert
Old 10-29-2008, 09:19 PM   #6
KindleKid
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I'm a Script Supervisor and I use a laptop and have for 15 years for all my notes. E-book readers are great for just reading but would make it very difficult to make script break-downs and changes (especially on the fly). I usually get scripts in pdf and/or as Word docs. Everyone on the sets that I'm on have laptops anyway, might as well use them.
I guess for the kind of shoots we have, laptops are simply not feasible. They have been at risk for damage, there is not usually a place to plug them in so they run out of battery that last a couple of hours on a twelve hour shoot and there's no place to put them and none of us have free hands to carry it. Laptops are quite mobile, but if everything was on ebook readers and we hand one scratch pad to make those on the fly changes that would free up the power, space and damage constraints. I'm almost tempted to get a tablet PC but they are way too much, I already have a PC and I couldn't afford multiple tablet PCs.

As I understand it, those ebookwise readers are refurbished RCA readers right? I believe those are supported by PDFRead. That might be my best alternative unless the PRS-500 drops in price once the PRS-700 comes out.

Last edited by KindleKid; 10-29-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:25 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
I guess for the kind of shoots we have, laptops are simply not feasible. They have been at risk for damage, there is not usually a place to plug them in so they run out of battery that last a couple of hours on a twelve hour shoot and there's no place to put them and none of us have free hands to carry it. Laptops are quite mobile, but if everything was on ebook readers and we hand one scratch pad to make those on the fly changes that would free up the power, space and damage constraints. I'm almost tempted to get a tablet PC but they are way too much, I already have a PC and I couldn't afford multiple tablet PCs.
I have those shoots, with 12-18 hour days and multiple company moves, so I know. If there is no generator because you're not using lights, there is usually a putt-putt because Sound and VTR need power. I personally have a block battery for additional power.

If you do try to work with e-ink readers, I would love to hear how it works for you.

Last edited by daffy4u; 10-29-2008 at 09:57 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:27 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As I understand it, those ebookwise readers are refurbished RCA readers right? I believe those are supported by PDFRead. That might be my best alternative unless the PRS-500 drops in price once the PRS-700 comes out.
The 500 is not sold new any more. The 700 does NOT replace the 505... so don't expect to see 505 price drop.

BOb
Old 10-29-2008, 11:22 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Does it have to be an ebook reader? If not, I would suggest you consider the NEC MobilePro 900. It reads PDF and Word natively so you wouldn't have to convert. The prices on Ebay have been dropping; it almost meets your $100 requirement.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure you can't get 12 hours continuous use out of a single battery.

Here is the MobilePro 900 next to a 15" laptop:
http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/9...arativatc4.jpg
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:28 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I read the whole ebookwise.com web site... I don't see anywhere that says they are refurbished units. Why do you say that?

Also, you might want to consider the Nokia N700 or N710...used. Could work.

BOb
Old 10-30-2008, 04:05 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I read the whole ebookwise.com web site... I don't see anywhere that says they are refurbished units. Why do you say that?

Also, you might want to consider the Nokia N700 or N710...used. Could work.

BOb
My understanding is that they are devices originally manufactured for "RocketBook" and now being sold, with new firmware, by eBookWise, so they are "refurbished" in one sense of the word, although not in the sense of having been previously sold to customers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:30 AM   #12
KindleKid
Zealot

Thanks for all the input everyone. I think that perhaps, pocket pcs are the way to go. I would have preferred something with a larger screen, but those'll do. Just wasn't sure if there were any retail ebook readers that were in that price range.

daffy4u:

I've been using the Kindle recently on set and it's worked out well, which is why I'd like to invest in other ebook readers for the crew. Maybe laptops work for your sets, but I'm making this change from first hand experience. laptops cause space issues, they don't last long (we don't have a generator) and they've been at risk for damage very often. Besides, we're on foot constantly moving from location to location and more junk to carry VS these little devices and actually with the pocket PCs we can make on the fly changes since we would only really use the laptops for word, celtx or other basic software.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:43 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If laptops are at risk from damage, I'd strongly suggest that you stay away from eInk devices - they have screens which are far more fragile than those of laptops!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:59 AM   #14
KindleKid
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If laptops are at risk from damage, I'd strongly suggest that you stay away from eInk devices - they have screens which are far more fragile than those of laptops!
The idea is that these devices are easier to stash away. We have no free hands for a laptop and whenever it's mounted somewhere someone bumps into it and it topples over, stuff like that. I can throw my Kindle in the case and be on my way, I can look over the data on the subway etc.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:40 PM   #15
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Yeah,closest would be the Iliad,which you can make notes on the fly, has 15 hours of active battery life; but I don't know if you can put it into sleep mode when not used, and if it boots fast or not...

The only issue is you'll be using about as much trees into buying the device (money) as you would with paper.
I'd go for the prs500 or prs505. They're slightly more expensive than notebooks, but you'll save between $1 and $4 on electricity every month from charging (compared to a laptop). That's an additional tree per year saved!
Just as long as you can use it for 4 years you'll actually start saving money in the long run..
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote