Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-27-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
thewolfe70
thewolfe70 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Nook Color or Kindle Fire for reading books only

My wife reads books checked out from the library only. I want to buy here either a Nook Color or a Kindle Fire. (think she may do more on them in the future.)

But the main deciding factor will be the one that has the best selection ofnload FREE books to download......Nook Coloror Kindle Fire?

Want a back lite so she can read at night without a light.
thewolfe70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolfe70 View Post
My wife reads books checked out from the library only. I want to buy here either a Nook Color or a Kindle Fire. (think she may do more on them in the future.)

But the main deciding factor will be the one that has the best selection ofnload FREE books to download......Nook Coloror Kindle Fire?

It should make no difference as you can sideload additional readers on both. I would go with the nook color simply because you can get them for $129 and the hardware is plenty powerful for your intended use.

Note though that there is an additional step on the nook to sideload, though it's simple and members here can help you if needed.

Last edited by afv011; 12-27-2011 at 12:52 PM.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
thewolfe70

Thanks for the input. Can you "splain" "sideload"?
Old 12-27-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
If you haven't dug into it very deeply I would definitely check out the difference between e-ink devices (i.e. Nook Simple Touch or Kindle Touch) and backlit devices(i.e. NC or Kindle Fire). The extra functionality of a Fire or NC might be nice to have, but if she does a lot of reading the e-ink is probably going to be a lot better option (much easier on most peoples eyes for long term reading experience).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
The Nook Color is a great device. but for sheer numbers of free ebooks, Amazon is the winner. (Not that all those books are good).

Oh, and if you run an android operating system on the Nook Color, you can put the Amazon Kindle app on it and get books from both.

What I did was get the refurb NC (cost $119) and then bought the n2a 16 gb SD card ($cost $50). Still cheaper than the Fire. I have the Anddroid Market, plus all of Amazon's free apps go on it. Pretty sweet

I read on my eink Kindles. I send color children's books to the NC.

Last edited by booklover6; 12-27-2011 at 02:46 PM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
Shiromi
Shiromi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shiromi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shiromi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shiromi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shiromi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shiromi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shiromi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shiromi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shiromi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shiromi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shiromi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
As others have pointed out, you can sideload (loading books via USB) books onto both devices so in that regards it should make no difference. What I will say however is that Amazon has been around a lot longer in the tech world and have excellent customer support. I speak from experience here as a Nook user who spent hours on the phone on multiple occasions trying to get a problem resolved that ended up taking weeks. Hopefully their customer service has improved since then (it was almost a year ago) but because of that experience with customer support, I sold my Nook and bought a Kindle. I really don't mean to suggest that one is better than the other, they both appear to be decent products, but if something does go wrong, I want to know that I can get it fixed or replaced right away.
Shiromi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:25 PM   #7
thewolfe70

A good point to consider. I asked my wife not to open the box of the Nook (mean) because she's not familiar with any of the readers. I'm going to take her to ck out all of The Nooks and Kindles and let her decide what's best for her.

Some things I think she should consider. The size and weight, back-lit or not and the free books available on either platform.

Thanks for the posts, all info is appreciated and I'll keep you updated.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:58 PM   #8
thewolfe70

What about reading lights for the Kindle. How long do they last and are the practical to use?
Old 12-29-2011, 07:16 AM   #9
Wakingdreamer
Wakingdreamer began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Kobo. Haha. Weigh it up in my opinion. I haven't purchased yet but Im leaning that way as I only want a reader. I have an iPad so don't need anything more. They can keep their browsers. I do like the kindles dictionary function. That said I like the form of the kobo best.
Wakingdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:17 AM   #10
Wakingdreamer

Ps if you want a backlight your looking at the wrong devices. You'll need to look at iPad or kindle fire.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:41 PM   #11
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolfe70 View Post
I know you're already considering e-ink devices too, but I just wanted to throw in that that's not exactly the most comfortable thing you can do. (In other words: "If you want watery, strained eyes go for a bright display and no ambient light") I'd guess that a kindle (or any e-ink device) with only a reading light will be almost as bad in a completely dark room.

Edit: That's to say if you couldn't read a paper book you should search a better place to read

Last edited by Abtacha; 12-29-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:50 PM   #12
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
I would get a Kindle ($79 version) and a Fire. Actually, I did. For less than $300, you get a great outdoor/daytime reader plus a backlit reader that also plays games, shows movies, plays music, and does other things.

The $79 'accessory' for my Fire means no compromises.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:51 AM   #13
Wakingdreamer

Great idea

In fact you'll win double time if you buy both devices for the wife. ;-). I think most synch so that if your reading on one device thebother will update do there's no issue with flicking between the two. I guess that's if it's budgetary possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I would get a Kindle ($79 version) and a Fire. Actually, I did. For less than $300, you get a great outdoor/daytime reader plus a backlit reader that also plays games, shows movies, plays music, and does other things.

The $79 'accessory' for my Fire means no compromises.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:05 AM   #14
thewolfe70

Thanks for all the comments, my wife is now down to a choice between the Kindle ($79) or the Kindle touch, what say you on those two?

Also what about a built in dictionary?

Last edited by thewolfe70; 12-30-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:08 AM   #15
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Kindle Touch. It has more memory and other features then the Kindle Mini.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote