Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-07-2017, 07:15 AM   #16
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Galaxy Tab S2, PW3(7th) Kobo H2O (1st), Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You said you go to the Canadian version of the Kobo site. Then you go to My Account" > "My Books". And you can't work out how to download an ACSM file.
I never said that, in fact I said the opposite. Why won't you read my words? Let me quote them here again for you:

"There it is seemingly possible to download an acsm at "My Account" > "My Books".f"
k9reeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:26 AM   #17
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
You could also use the obok plugin for Calibre to copy books from the Kobo Desktop app into Calibre's folder. See Apprentice Alf for details.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2017, 07:27 AM   #18
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9reeder View Post
I never said that, in fact I said the opposite. Why won't you read my words? Let me quote them here again for you:

"There it is seemingly possible to download an acsm at "My Account" > "My Books".f"
Sorry, I read that several time and each time I read "impossible".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:57 AM   #19
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sorry, I read that several time and each time I read "impossible".
I acknowledge that one would expect to read "impossible" in the context of that sentence. I decided at the last moment to qualify "possible" with "seemingly" as my point was that there may well be differences between what various users were seeing on the web/ in the app, depending on their location. I didn't want to mislead anyone by making an unqualified statement lest they rely on it to make a first purchase or something.

At the very least, when Joe563 referenced "My Library>Purchases" and "Account>Purchase History", it suggested to me that there are at least cosmetic (if not substantive) differences between what we are all seeing, as the paths I experience are worded or located differently: "My Account" > "My Books", for example.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:14 AM   #20
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I acknowledge that one would expect to read "impossible" in the context of that sentence. I decided at the last moment to qualify "possible" with "seemingly" as my point was that there may well be differences between what various users were seeing on the web/ in the app, depending on their location. I didn't want to mislead anyone by making an unqualified statement lest they rely on it to make a first purchase or something.
Kobo don't stop you from using any of the other national versions from whereever you are. And from what I have seen, the pages are the same except for the language and exactly what books are available.
Quote:
At the very least, when Joe563 referenced "My Library>Purchases" and "Account>Purchase History", it suggested to me that there are at least cosmetic (if not substantive) differences between what we are all seeing, as the paths I experience are worded or located differently: "My Account" > "My Books", for example.
Joe563 gave two ways to get to the purchases page. That has never had a way to download the books. You need to go to the "My books" page to do that.
Advert
Old 05-07-2017, 08:32 AM   #21
k9reeder
Groupie

Quote:
Joe563 gave two ways to get to the purchases page. That has never had a way to download the books. You need to go to the "My books" page to do that.
Yes, but listen to what Joe563, says, and that's the comment I was responding to.

Joe563: "That option is still there. You have to go to My Library>Purchases and beside each book that you purchased, you will see a blue DOWNLOAD EPUB button."

In my case, there is no such blue DOWNLOAD EPUB button at that location. (I have acquired both paid and free books from Kobo.) Seems like that's a difference between Joe563 and I. Who knows why. I just made a suggestion as to a possible (possible) reason why for him, that's all.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:47 AM   #22
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, but listen to what Joe563, says, and that's the comment I was responding to.

Joe563: "That option is still there. You have to go to My Library>Purchases and beside each book that you purchased, you will see a blue DOWNLOAD EPUB button."

In my case, there is no such blue DOWNLOAD EPUB button at that location. (I have acquired both paid and free books from Kobo.) Seems like that's a difference between Joe563 and I. Who knows why. I just made a suggestion as to a possible (possible) reason why for him, that's all.
Ok, I think Joe563 was referring to https://www.kobobooks.com/library/purchased.html. This is an old version of the library. It still seems to active, but is no longer linked from anywhere in the store. The instructions he gave were close enough to getting to a different purchase list that I missed the difference.

The old library was linked from the new My Books page for a while. This was because there were some bugs in it and some features missing. I think these problems have been fixed, and the My Books page has more function than the old library.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:18 AM   #23
Maverynthia
Enthusiast
Maverynthia began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy 3 8.0 /Samsung Galaxy S5 / PC
Lightbulb Easier way.

I found an easier way of doing Kobo stuff other than one at a time on the website. Got to the folder where the kepubs are and then open a renaming program (if you have a lot of books, I use AntRenamer)
Drag all the files that have hash looking names into the program and change all of the extensions to .epub. Then you can dragon them into Calibre and they'll be there. :3 (Still need Alf to help you out though.)
Maverynthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:25 AM   #24
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverynthia View Post
I found an easier way of doing Kobo stuff other than one at a time on the website. Got to the folder where the kepubs are and then open a renaming program (if you have a lot of books, I use AntRenamer)
Drag all the files that have hash looking names into the program and change all of the extensions to .epub. Then you can dragon them into Calibre and they'll be there. :3 (Still need Alf to help you out though.)
With that method, there is no way to remove the DRM from any protected books. You would be better to use the Obok plugin to copy the books. It is part of the DRM tools package from Apprentice Alf.

Also, the books you are obtaining are kepubs with the extra spans and other changes that Kobo makes. These can be cleaned up, but they are not necessarily the same as the epub versions downloaded from your library.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:36 AM   #25
Maverynthia
Enthusiast
Maverynthia began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy 3 8.0 /Samsung Galaxy S5 / PC
It seems that some of them will import this way. Other have to use the Obok plugin. Either way no need for the Adobe Stuff really.
Maverynthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:09 PM   #26
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverynthia View Post
It seems that some of them will import this way. Other have to use the Obok plugin.
If the books don't have any DRM, your method will work. But, Obok works for bot DRMed non-DRMed books and means you don't have to play around in the file system.
Quote:
Either way no need for the Adobe Stuff really.
It probably come down to whether you want the Kobo Desktop on your PC or ADE. As ADE is used for other shops and libraries, a lot of people would prefer to use it.

And from a personal point of view, I generally prefer the epub as there is at least on less step in cleaning them up. I do sometimes compare the two as they can be different versions of the book and I take the cleanest or better looking if the formatting is different. Plus the ePub version seems to be more likely to be updated to fix problems.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:39 AM   #27
beachboybogart
Connoisseur
beachboybogart doesn't litterbeachboybogart doesn't litterbeachboybogart doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura, and older devices lounging in my bookcase.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo save.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	172138If this is still an issue, note that you must change the view in the My Books page, to list, using the hamburger options icon. Then you will see the three dots beside the book title; clicking on that gives an option to download an .epub.
beachboybogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:42 PM   #28
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachboybogart View Post
Attachment 172138If this is still an issue, note that you must change the view in the My Books page, to list, using the hamburger options icon. Then you will see the three dots beside the book title; clicking on that gives an option to download an .epub.
I normally use the list view, but the three-dots menu is there in the cover view as well. They are under the cover image next to the status.