Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-17-2011, 01:17 AM   #1
mr.jjm54
mr.jjm54 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
favorite historical fiction writers

does anyone have a favority historical fiction writer? I use to read Kenneth Roberts (Northwest Passage) and I aslo enjoy books by Wilbur Smith-anyone else care to mention their favorites-John
mr.jjm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:42 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
My all-time favourite is a Dutch writer, Thea Beckman. She has written various historic fiction books (children and young adult). I know of only one that is available as ebook though, sadly. (Crusade in Jeans, at least available at Amazon)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 02:11 AM   #3
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
My favourites are;

Bernard Cornwall

Naval historical fiction
Alexander Kent/Douglas Reeman
Dudley Pope
CS Forester
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:14 AM   #4
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Nigel Tranter
Harold Lamb
Robert E. Howard
James A. Michener
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:31 AM   #5
paganpete
paganpete began at the beginning.

Device: Binatone Readme Daily
Ooh, Bernard Cornwell, Douglas Reeman/Alexander Kent, Valerio Massimo Manfredi (just about), Conn Iggulden, Giles Kristian, Simon Scarrow, Edward Marston's Railway Detective (for easy read murder/mystery) and most newspapers (lots of fiction in those and if you read yesterdays papers then it becomes historical fiction)!!
paganpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 03:58 AM   #6
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganpete View Post
<snip>and most newspapers (lots of fiction in those and if you read yesterdays papers then it becomes historical fiction)!!
Love it, Pete!

How about Marianne Fredriksson. All her work is translated into English except my favourite. Roughly half of them are historical.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:08 AM   #7
millicent
millicent doesn't littermillicent doesn't littermillicent doesn't litter

Device: Kindle, iPod and iRiver Story
Hilary Mantel has written several historical novels. Wolf Hall and A Place of Greater Safety are both widely available and well worth reading.
millicent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:28 AM   #8
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
My alltime favourite was Taylor Caldwell.

I have no idea if her books are available for e-readers.

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:42 AM   #9
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
Gore Vidal - novels about American political history. Burr, Lincoln, and Empire are very good, but he does have his own slant on history.

Alan Furst - novels about spies during World War 2. The World at Night, Blood of Victory, Dark Voyage, and The Foreign Correspondent are very good.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:51 AM   #10
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
A few other suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.jjm54 View Post
does anyone have a favority historical fiction writer? I use to read Kenneth Roberts (Northwest Passage) and I aslo enjoy books by Wilbur Smith-anyone else care to mention their favorites-John
Hi there
You know Ken Follett, Pillars of the Earth ? An the rest ?
Edward Rutherfurd ?
I'll have have to look at Kenneth Roberts, not known to me, so far.
But totally agree about wilbur Smith.
Cheers,
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:26 AM   #11
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I'm a huge Philippa Gregory and Alison Weir fan.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:50 AM   #12
dmspen
Enthusiast
dmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
Anyone read Harry Turtledove? I'll never forget the first time I read his books. It was the WorldWar series. It's about a small reptilian race that invades the earth during WW2. The world has to drop it's difference and work together to fight the alien invasion.

Is that historical fiction? It's historical up to the alien invasion...
dmspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:04 PM   #13
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmspen View Post
Anyone read Harry Turtledove? I'll never forget the first time I read his books. It was the WorldWar series. It's about a small reptilian race that invades the earth during WW2. The world has to drop it's difference and work together to fight the alien invasion.

Is that historical fiction? It's historical up to the alien invasion...
That's alternate history.

For historical fiction, I like Colleen McCollough...
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:47 PM   #14
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Sharon Kay Penman and Elizabeth Chadwick.

+1 for Bernard Cornwell.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:50 PM   #15
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I've enjoyed some of Caleb Carr's works. Also Dan Simmons' The Terror was amazing!
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote