Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-12-2010, 11:47 AM   #16
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Podcasting for Dummies is available at Amazon (I've just checked).

From my experience of making youtube vids, the amount of editing required depends upon how competent - and confident, your speaking is. For example, if you tend to trip over words lots, or get at all muddled, then the editing will be considerable. On the other hand, if you have the clear, confident speech of a newsreader, your breathing is regular and the mic is properly positioned so that it doesn't catch any PTH sounds (try saying Peter Piper etc then She sells sea shells etc and listen to the playback), then the editing will be minimal.

Of course, there's a huge difference in the length of an audiobook and a youtube vid!
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:09 PM   #17
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Thinking of doing the same thing myself, there's nowhere to put the eggboxes though and I live on a busy main road... although we do have a cellar, which deadens a lot of the noise (when the boiler's off). Anyone else living downtown tried the DIY approach or should I just drive to the top of a hill and record it in the car? ;-)

Cheers

MTM
M T McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2010, 04:17 AM   #18
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
M T try recording very late at night when there's little traffic or noise outside. Unless, of course, you live in a 24/7 lively neighbourhood.

It helps if you don't start ZZzzzz while recording!
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:37 PM   #19
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
Ya know, we've been going on about this long enough, and with our combined experience, that I'm half tempted to pile all this knowledge together and write a tutorial, or at the very least, a wiki entry.
This is actually a really good idea! I did a search for it and didn't find out very much information. There are all sorts of different pricepoints for recorders and ways of recording that I've seen from looking at many of these links.

A list of places to host and sell the audiobooks would be useful too. I've seen a couple, but nothing as good as smashwords is for ebooks.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:38 PM   #20
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M T McGuire View Post
Thinking of doing the same thing myself, there's nowhere to put the eggboxes though and I live on a busy main road... although we do have a cellar, which deadens a lot of the noise (when the boiler's off). Anyone else living downtown tried the DIY approach or should I just drive to the top of a hill and record it in the car? ;-)

Cheers

MTM
Driving to the top of a hill and recording it in the car might be kind of nice, maybe even add to the atmosphere.
Advert
Old 12-14-2010, 05:50 PM   #21
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Great ideas here. I will just add that if you need a portable method of recording, such as recording stories/anectodes from others, the Zoom redorders are excellent.

Got my wife one for when she is out jamming with her Native American flute.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:42 PM   #22
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carroll View Post
Driving to the top of a hill and recording it in the car might be kind of nice, maybe even add to the atmosphere.
THAT sounds like the start of a horror story. Driving up to the lonely hill in the dead of night to get the perfect recording. but getting distracted by the noises outside. Get out of the car to see what's causing the strange scratching... there's nothing there. Returns to the car to complete the recording, but on returning home... what's THAT on the recording?...
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:03 PM   #23
John Carroll
kookoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
THAT sounds like the start of a horror story. Driving up to the lonely hill in the dead of night to get the perfect recording. but getting distracted by the noises outside. Get out of the car to see what's causing the strange scratching... there's nothing there. Returns to the car to complete the recording, but on returning home... what's THAT on the recording?...
Could be the start of a good murder mystery too. The author is reading out the murder mystery he wrote and he gets killed in exactly the same way. The detectives have the recording of his scream and try to analyze the background noises too.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:43 PM   #24
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can't give you actual experience, but one bias I'll have the next time I buy a portable recorder will be to get one with multiple mics and hardware noise cancellation. My TP2 has this tech to clear audio for speakerphone calls, and I like it there. The mic further away from the voice helps filter out non-voice noise. My favorite (not that I have, but that I want) bluetooth headset, the Voyager Pro, has similar tech to limit wind and background noise. An alternative solution that is probably more common is an omni-directional mic.

It's probably not a solution that prevents you from needing software for something like an audiobook, but it seems to me like it would be a nice helping hand. In some cases, a poorly designed system will affect voice quality as well as reducing background noise, so read reviews of any solution carefully.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:45 AM   #25
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@dadioflex If you write it, let me know, I'd love to read it!

Cheers

MTM
M T McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 05:33 PM   #26
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
BTW, to John Carroll and the others, I'm still planning on doing that writeup on doing audiobooks. I just haven't had a chance to get to it yet, but I will soon. BTW, once it's written, if anyone wants to add to it, by all means please do. I also plan to add it to the wiki here, but I'm not sure what the rules are for that, or if it would even be allowed. I would think it would, as it could be added to an "author resources" section. But we'll see.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote