Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
roycymru
Connoisseur
roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: Kobo Touch
2.1.4 for Kobo Touch - Can we please have an official announcement from Kobo!

Confusion seems to reign over the 2.1.4 release.

Rumour/Fact one; Kobo are releasing 2.1.4 in rotation to different countries, but to which countries and when no one seems to know. Kobo you must have dates and details for the roll out of 2.1.4, these things don't just happen spontaneously, therefore can you please publish a list of dates and countries.

Rumour/Fact two; depending on where your Kobo was manufactured and/or what hardware it contains the 2.1.4 roll out may be 2 stage. Again Kobo can you please confirm or deny this? If some Kobo Touches do require a 2 stage update then how does this relate to the general roll out above?

Thank you
roycymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #2
Sound
Sound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Quote:
Originally Posted by roycymru View Post
Confusion seems to reign over the 2.1.4 release.

Rumour/Fact one; Kobo are releasing 2.1.4 in rotation to different countries, but to which countries and when no one seems to know. Kobo you must have dates and details for the roll out of 2.1.4, these things don't just happen spontaneously, therefore can you please publish a list of dates and countries.

Rumour/Fact two; depending on where your Kobo was manufactured and/or what hardware it contains the 2.1.4 roll out may be 2 stage. Again Kobo can you please confirm or deny this? If some Kobo Touches do require a 2 stage update then how does this relate to the general roll out above?

Thank you
There was one, it got buried by all the posts from people not reading it: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=192954

It says the upgrade is coming this week and that the upgrade wont be the same for everyone.
Sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:48 AM   #3
Tintin
Enthusiast
Tintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo
They said on the 5th that they are rolling it out to everyone over the next week. That means i should get it in next two days, hmmmmmm.
Tintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
roycymru
Connoisseur
roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Thanks for pointing out the "official" announcement I had missed that, perhaps someone should make it a sticky!

However, although we have had this anouncement liitle seems to have happened. I think some people in Canada have had it (?), certanly no sign of an imminent release in the UK.

The statement "WARNING: Going forward we are distributing specific upgrade packages to devices based on various criteria which makes the upgrades incompatible between some devices". Is also less than re-assuring and not clear in what this will mean to end users in practice.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Quote:

The statement "WARNING: Going forward we are distributing specific upgrade packages to devices based on various criteria which makes the upgrades incompatible between some devices". Is also less than re-assuring and not clear in what this will mean to end users in practice.
It means nothing if you let the device auto update

You missed out the important line from your quote, kobo do not support side loading updates

If you sideload an update to your device and it doesn't work properly, it is your fault
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:33 AM   #6
Tintin
Enthusiast
Tintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo
So how about an updated official announcement please Kobo, just to clarify the situation?
Tintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:20 AM   #7
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
So how about an updated official announcement please Kobo, just to clarify the situation?
Yes! The longer they wait, the more it begins to smell like yet another stuff up.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #8
Vidfamne
Vidfamne began at the beginning.

My device updated yesterday. I've barely had it for a month and it upgraded to 2.1.1 the very first time I connected it with the desktop.

Bought in Spain.
Vidfamne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:59 AM   #9
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
My Kobo Touch updated wirelessly to 2.1.4 after I had WiFi on for 10-20 minutes or so. (wasn't really paying attention -just synced then it popped up after a bit) Apparently the download is performed completely in the background with no notice until fully downloaded and ready to install... You're then asked whether you want to update now, or wait until next time you power cycle. Seems to work well so far. USA here.

Had me a little scared as it updated firmware, restarted, updated again for short period and then restarted a 2nd time... I thought for sure it was in some kind of update/reboot loop, but then the new quick start manual was displayed and it was ready to go. Page turns seem subjectively about half as long as it was taking under 2.0.0 which is what it updated from. Seems like a decent improvement, worth the wait.

Last edited by TechniSol; 10-12-2012 at 04:09 AM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:05 AM   #10
roycymru
Connoisseur

Still no sign of an update here in the UK.

The announcement by MDK on 5th October stated "As always upgrades will get rolled out to all users in a staged fashion. We are starting the upgrade slowly and gradually rolling it out to all users over the next week". The week is now up.

We now have additonal rumours of 2.1.4 updat being on hold because of "a spontaneous re-boot bug" with sideloaded books. It is not unreasonable to ask for some clarification from Kobo. Perhaps MDK can enlighten us what is happening and e.g. when UK users can expect the update?
Old 10-13-2012, 07:12 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Still no sign of an update here in the UK.

The announcement by MDK on 5th October stated "As always upgrades will get rolled out to all users in a staged fashion. We are starting the upgrade slowly and gradually rolling it out to all users over the next week". The week is now up.

We now have additonal rumours of 2.1.4 updat being on hold because of "a spontaneous re-boot bug" with sideloaded books. It is not unreasonable to ask for some clarification from Kobo. Perhaps MDK can enlighten us what is happening and e.g. when UK users can expect the update?
2.1.4 has definitely been pulled to fix this problem. It is unfortunate that Kobo haven't announced it officially.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #12
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
How many days are there in a Canadian week?

Just curious
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #13
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
How many days are there in a Canadian week?

Just curious
In metric, we have one year. The year is divided into 10 deci-years of 36 or 37 days. So a week is 36 or 37 days depending if it is a prime number deci-year or not.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:11 PM   #14
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Is this bug with sideloaded books only with books that have been sideloaded after the firmware upgrade or only if you updated from some other than official firmware? My reader has mostly sideloaded books and so far it works fine with them and newly downloaded books through Kobo. Not using a SDHC card here yet... Also only official updates via the desktop software or WiFi here. So far, 2.1.4 seems fine.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #15
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Is this bug with sideloaded books only with books that have been sideloaded after the firmware upgrade or only if you updated from some other than official firmware? My reader has mostly sideloaded books and so far it works fine with them and newly downloaded books through Kobo. Not using a SDHC card here yet... Also only official updates via the desktop software or WiFi here. So far, 2.1.4 seems fine.
Pretty much just if you are using a SD card. Otherwise sideloaded books will work fine.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote