Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-31-2017, 12:40 PM   #646
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by allochi View Post
I'm don't think that Sony can do better marketing on this,
I think the marketing was deeply faulted... although I am sure they (Sony) did their job, their target people need also to have a laptop for accessing other documents than PDF, and there are many such formats in a company, like Excel/spreadsheet, PowerPoint/Presentation, even word processors' files like Word/DOCX... but carrying 2 devices practically kills the whole concept.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:30 PM   #647
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
I think the marketing was deeply faulted... although I am sure they (Sony) did their job, their target people need also to have a laptop for accessing other documents than PDF, and there are many such formats in a company, like Excel/spreadsheet, PowerPoint/Presentation, even word processors' files like Word/DOCX... but carrying 2 devices practically kills the whole concept.
Wait for the Onyx Boox Max Carta. It's 13.3" and allows you to do what the DTP-S1 does but it also allows much more.

http://ereader-store.de/en/77-onyx-boox-max-carta.html
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2017, 05:56 PM   #648
allochi
Connoisseur
allochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Aura
Onyx Boox Max is heavy and thick, at least for my taste. I used Onyx before (not the Max), I prefer Sony software better.
allochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:49 PM   #649
trugnthu
trugnthu began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg
I have the two readers: Onyx Max and Sony DPT-S1.
But for documents and books with PDF format, Sony software with features such as workspace and note is better than Onyx Max.
In another hand, with firmware 1.8.2 Onyx Boox Max have the notable improvements such as multi tabs, but lack workspace..
trugnthu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:06 AM   #650
uscam
uscam began at the beginning.

Device: DPT S1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vst View Post
Hi,
can you share where did you get yours? nowadays it seems only avaliable on amazon or ebay.. and it's so goddamn expensive. DPT-S1 the only device that looks premium to me. Other 13" ereaders look like cheap chinese replicas.
I even just ordered another pen from Amazon just in case the original pen is broken and I have no replacement
uscam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2017, 09:26 AM   #651
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Onyx Boox Max is heavy and thick, at least for my taste. I used Onyx before (not the Max), I prefer Sony software better.
Since you've not used the Max, do you know enough about the Max software to make such a conclusion?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:33 PM   #652
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Since you've not used the Max, do you know enough about the Max software to make such a conclusion?
I obviously can't answer for someone else, my only reflection is that Max perhaps use the same software as other Onyx devices.

Digital artist found dead in home. Details sketchy.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:29 AM   #653
allochi
Connoisseur
allochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animals

@JSWolf As I said, I didn't use the Max, I used the M96, same software, now, I always liked zooming/cropping functions in Onyx reader, I think it's great, I wish we have it with Sony, but as a reader + note taking, Sony is better, faster and more functional, beyond anything Onyx is providing now. I can easily use the Sony to write and sketch my thoughts and ideas, not the same thing with the Onyx.

Have you tried the Sony? If not, give it a try.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:51 PM   #654
LarryNYC
Groupie
LarryNYC began at the beginning.

Device: Sony DPT-S1
Quote:
@JSWolf As I said, I didn't use the Max, I used the M96, same software, now, I always liked zooming/cropping functions in Onyx reader, I think it's great, I wish we have it with Sony, but as a reader + note taking, Sony is better, faster and more functional, beyond anything Onyx is providing now. I can easily use the Sony to write and sketch my thoughts and ideas, not the same thing with the Onyx.

Have you tried the Sony? If not, give it a try.
Could you be more specific about why the Onyx is not up to note taking like the Sony? I love my Sony for taking notes and making sketches. Any replacement would have to have good note taking capabilities.
LarryNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:53 PM   #655
allochi
Connoisseur

@LarryNYC

Well, first I have to say the last time I used Onyx was June 2016 (I spent 7 months with it), the software could have got updated, so I will compare Sony with Onyx from that time.

Highlight
Onyx:
It was difficult to start highlighting in Onyx, and difficult to get accurate selection, if I made a mistake, I would just forget it. When I need to access the highlights, I need to go to another view which hides the document, it was slow, and eventually didn't worth it.

Sony:
Highlights in Sony are much more faster, responsive and accurate than Onyx, , it's as fast as if you are doing it on a real paper, also it's easier to get back to the highlighted page from the "Annotation List" menu, in Sony you don't need to leave the document, the menu shows next to the page, not the same case with Onyx.

Note Taking
Onyx:
Last time I tried Onyx, If I want to add a note to a page, I can only write on top of the page, if there is no margins, or empty space, well, I can't.

Sony:
With Sony, I have three ways to do so:
1. I can write/draw on top of the page, and it's really fast and responsive
2.I can add a sticky note (handwriting), I select a place on the page to add an icon, a window shows up, without leaving the document, I can write or solve a math problem while reading the question.
3. I can add a sticky note (text), same thing but with a virtual keyboard.

Keep in mind that the handwriting notes don't get converted to text, they are just drawings, they have two colors and two different line thickness (colors show only on the computer) + if I'm working on a document with someone else, the notes keep the name of the author.

Search
Onyx:
I admit I don't remember how it was with Onyx, maybe someone can comment on this.

Sony:
I can search my notes and highlights, filter them by type (bookmark, handwriting, sticky note, etc...), and sort them by (Page, Author (who wrote the note), type, and date)

Notes/Sketching Program
Onyx:
It was buggy, several times I draw something and suddenly it draw a line from no where, it always happen and I saw some video reviews complain about it. Also, almost always, I write or draw something, I need to erase it, and instead, it erase like my last 10-20 seconds of work, eventually I gave up.

Sony:
Accurate, fast, responsive, I can erase what I want with different brush sizes (I still need to erase whole continue strokes, can't erase part of them), different types of paper templates, multiple pages, different zoom levels.

I use it all the time for note taking, todo lists, and prototyping project and processes, also, I used it several times to draw my presentations instead of doing PowerPoints, because you can also connect Sony through the laptop to a projector and draw a presentation!

Lastly
Sony advertised this as a digital paper, and it is, I don't use note books anymore and everybody want a Sony (they stop when they hear the price), seriously, I tried almost every product out there, from iPad to laptops with touch screen, Samsung tablets and other digital readers, nothing delivers the same experience, and I would gladly pay for Sony DPT-S2 when/if it comes out.

Now, I'm speaking on my positive experience with the device, because it fits my style, way of life, work and thinking, I'm sure that there are some other tastes out there, and they want their ereader to play music and video, prepare breakfast, and teleport them to work, I just needed a "PDF" reader, with ability to write like I do on paper and feels like paper in my hand in weight and size, and I got that.

I respect other products and their users.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:03 AM   #656
LarryNYC
Groupie
LarryNYC began at the beginning.

Device: Sony DPT-S1
Thanks for taking the time to write up your experiences with the Onyx! I wouldn't be able to tolerate a device that sometimes accidentally erased 10-20 seconds of my work. The erasing on the Sony can go a little too far sometimes but it is still manageable.

I wonder if the Onyx still limits you to writing only at the top of the page. I need to be able to write anywhere on a page. One of my favorite things to do is to take a list of features I have to fix or implement and draw checkboxes next to every item so I can track my progress.

I like how the Sony uses templates to create unique documents. I have to submit builds for the product I'm working on and I need to verify that I have checked off certain steps. Using templates and the automatic naming when I upload to Box, it is simple to create and fill out checklists.

Like you, I tried other tablets, such as the Surface Pro, but it didn't work well for me and battery life is an issue. I leave my Sony on all day at my desk and use it to take notes and write things down. I use a laptop stand to hold the Sony at a good height and angle above my desk.

I have a pile of notebooks to shred from previous year's projects. The Sony replaces all of that paper. I wish I had had it ten years ago.

The world's fastest input device is still the pencil but the Sony comes close enough, in terms of input speed, that it allows me to ditch the pencil for work. I still use a pencil to mark up my sheet music. I recommend the Palomino Black Wing.

Oh, I realized that I could use a cheap iPhone app to photograph anything and turn it into a PDF! That makes your smart phone a portable scanner.

Life is good with this device. I hope Sony comes out with an improved model. I would buy it immediately.

Last edited by LarryNYC; 04-07-2017 at 09:08 AM.
LarryNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:44 AM   #657
allochi
Connoisseur

Hi, I would just emphasize again that my experience is not with Max, it was with M96, and the software version from early-mid 2016, I don't know if these issues were fixed with the Max, but I can only assume that they both use the same software, and have the same features and issues.

I searched for the video where they complain about the note taking software, which reflect my experience, but I couldn't find it, I found some better videos that shows Max features and new Note Taking software:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5w...dybQb6TixZMKxg

Hope this helps. When I had the Onyx, it was a good device, and I used it to read many books, the support and service I got from Booxter was great! So I'm not saying that Onyx is a bad device, I'm just saying the Sony is a better device for my needs.

Funny, to be honest, I had the Max in the shopping cart for pre-order, I just waited at the time, because I though it was too heavy, and I didn't like the lake of a touch screen, which was irritating with the M96, I didn't really think about the software, I think now, I learned the lesson, and this is why for example the Goodereaders project didn't appeal to me, while something like Remarkable does, seeing how much they pay attention to the software.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:26 AM   #658
kaiser s
kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Sony DPT-S1
DPT-RP1

Looks like Sony is coming out with a newer version of the DPT-S1.

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreak...ablet-notebook
kaiser s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:47 PM   #659
88%
Enthusiast
88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch

Device: DPTS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88% View Post
... I don't see any future products in the line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser s View Post
Looks like Sony is coming out with a newer version of the DPT-S1.

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreak...ablet-notebook
I can't remember the last time I was so happy to be wrong!

This is fantastic news!!!
88% is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:30 PM   #660
Deekin
Deekin began at the beginning.

Device: none
Great news indeed - especially when I overpaid for dpt-s1 ^^

The new version is about 1mm thinnier that it's predecessor. That's nice.
But the white color? I'm happy that dpt-s1 is black.
About the device - still only pdf. They could at least added support to djvu.
Deekin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crop, croppdf