Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-28-2021, 09:16 AM   #1
OrangeWindies
OrangeWindies knows what's going on.OrangeWindies knows what's going on.OrangeWindies knows what's going on.OrangeWindies knows what's going on.OrangeWindies knows what's going on.OrangeWindies knows what's going on.OrangeWindies knows what's going on.OrangeWindies knows what's going on.OrangeWindies knows what's going on.OrangeWindies knows what's going on.OrangeWindies knows what's going on.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Yocto Linux build for Kobo Clara HD and Home Assistant dashboard

It has taken quite a few months since I asked whether anyone had already tried making a Yocto build for the Clara HD but I've finally got it working and in a state that's close enough to respectable to show other people.

The Yocto layer is at https://github.com/kevinior/meta-kobo-clara-hd It's built on top of NXP's imx-linux Yocto stuff, I'm planning to try to get rid of that and just use a standard Yocto release. That should allow upgrading to a current Yocto version too.

The main purpose for all this was to build my own Home Assistant dashboard running on the Clara, without any leftover Kobo software getting in the way. You can find HAslate here: https://github.com/kevinior/haslate

Many thanks to andi45 for his patched kernels with Clara HD support.

Last edited by OrangeWindies; 03-28-2021 at 09:18 AM.
OrangeWindies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 04:19 PM   #2
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Glo HD, Touch C/B, Mini, Glo, Aura SE, Clara HD, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeWindies View Post
It has taken quite a few months since I asked whether anyone had already tried making a Yocto build for the Clara HD but I've finally got it working and in a state that's close enough to respectable to show other people.

The Yocto layer is at https://github.com/kevinior/meta-kobo-clara-hd It's built on top of NXP's imx-linux Yocto stuff, I'm planning to try to get rid of that and just use a standard Yocto release. That should allow upgrading to a current Yocto version too.

The main purpose for all this was to build my own Home Assistant dashboard running on the Clara, without any leftover Kobo software getting in the way. You can find HAslate here: https://github.com/kevinior/haslate

Nice! I tried to build Yocto a while ago for the Mini and hadn't had much success. I may look at what you've done and see if I can learn things from there.
I find out though that native Alpine is enough on my Mini for InkBox.
NiMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2021, 01:45 AM   #3
OrangeWindies
OrangeWindies knows what's going on.OrangeWindies knows what's going on.OrangeWindies knows what's going on.OrangeWindies knows what's going on.OrangeWindies knows what's going on.OrangeWindies knows what's going on.OrangeWindies knows what's going on.OrangeWindies knows what's going on.OrangeWindies knows what's going on.OrangeWindies knows what's going on.OrangeWindies knows what's going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMa View Post
Nice! I tried to build Yocto a while ago for the Mini and hadn't had much success. I may look at what you've done and see if I can learn things from there.
I find out though that native Alpine is enough on my Mini for InkBox.
Yes, I ended up using Yocto because I'm familiar with it and wanted to play around with it a bit more.

Being able to use an almost stock kernel was a big help. Once I've got some time I want to try to get rid of the special version of U-boot.
Old 04-06-2021, 02:40 AM   #4
andi45
andi45 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeWindies View Post

Interesting project. Nice to see some progress. Basically what is new on my side:
There is a kobo/merged-5.11 branch now, a basic charger/fuel gauge driver is upstreamed, I am working on replacing the fbdev driver with a drm driver. Then it can use standard interfaces for updating contents and does not need the special nxp one. For now it works well with some IMX6SL readers, for the Kobo Clara HD it needs some tweaking.
andi45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 02:00 PM   #5
OrangeWindies

Quote:
Originally Posted by andi45 View Post
Interesting project. Nice to see some progress. Basically what is new on my side:
There is a kobo/merged-5.11 branch now, a basic charger/fuel gauge driver is upstreamed, I am working on replacing the fbdev driver with a drm driver. Then it can use standard interfaces for updating contents and does not need the special nxp one. For now it works well with some IMX6SL readers, for the Kobo Clara HD it needs some tweaking.
The fbdev driver is working fine for me just now, but the less special NXP stuff the better.

I really need to improve the documentation in the project in git and I should also do some tidying up of the Yocto metadata. Apparently you shouldn't have a single layer that's both a BSP and a distro and I'm not declaring the dependencies on other layers correctly.
Advert