Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How many shops have you bought ebooks from?
None. (I use the library and/or Public Domain and/or freebies) 4 3.51%
1 (Why bother with more than 1?) 8 7.02%
2 (The best of both) 7 6.14%
3-5 (Why stop at two?) 37 32.46%
6-20 (I've been buying a long time) 40 35.09%
20+ (A really long time) 13 11.40%
The Blue one next to the Fish 5 4.39%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2020, 07:15 PM   #16
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I am in the 6 to 20 group, but just barely.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 08:00 PM   #17
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I clicked one because it's been years since I bought a book from anyone but Amazon. I have bought a few books from Kobo and B&N years ago and I bought a couple of books from google 3 or 4 years ago. But those were rare exceptions. I get nearly everything from Amazon and I don't have any expectation that I'll change that.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 08:48 PM   #18
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
If I am thinking of the stores I actually bought books and at least more than one? Amazon, which is where pretty much all my books come from, defunct discoveranewlove which was a sourcebook publisher site, A few from Harlequin now Avon, before they made it so I couldn't read on my kindle anymore, I think maybe 2 from allromance. And I am pretty sure I got one book from smashwords years ago.

I like easy and having all in one place at my fingertips so I won't get books any other place but Amazon anymore.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 08:49 PM   #19
sapphiresilver
Connoisseur
sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Amazon Oasis 2, Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro
I've been reading ebooks for a very long time, so I'm not sure of the exact number. I have a feeling it may be over 20, though. I have very vivid memories of reading on my computer because we didn't have tablets and laptops back then.
sapphiresilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:28 PM   #20
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
BooksonBoard, Diesel, B&N, Kobo, Google, S&S, Amazon ... so 7.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:34 PM   #21
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I clicked one because it's been years since I bought a book from anyone but Amazon.
Same. I also chose 1 because I think it's probably been 5 years since I purchased anywhere other than Amazon.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:35 PM   #22
Apsalar
Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Apsalar can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I voted one, but I meant to click two. Oops. I have butter fingers.

I mostly shop at Amazon, primarily for the convenience. Everything eventually ends up on Calibre, but the ease of buying a book in bed and not having to do anything extra to read it is incentive enough to keep me locked into my device's proprietary store.

I also shop at Black Library. I'm a big ole' Warhammer fangirl, and their ebook bundles are usually not only great collections, but much better value for money than buying the books individually.

I get a lot of books from Humble Bundle, too, but that's not really a shop, so I didn't count it.
Apsalar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 03:57 AM   #23
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apsalar View Post
I voted one, but I meant to click two. Oops. I have butter fingers.
I've adjusted the totals appropriately.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 03:58 AM   #24
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I suppose it's not really a surprise that the peak is around 5 shops for MobileRead members!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:32 AM   #25
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Amazon & Smashwords.
But I've more ebooks than those added together from our own authors (via LibreOffice, saveas DOCX convert in Calibre)
Thousands of classic Public Domain, some of which I previously bought on paper. I've used maybe dozens of bookshops for paper books.

I'd guess most ebooks of single shop users are Amazon (they've 90% market).
My impression is that Google Books on Playstore is less than Apple or Nook or Kobo sales from their online shops, for English.

Japanese, Chinese, Korean, German, Russian, Gulf states, etc may have a radically different break down.

This is a self selected poll, majority English speakers and people that have researched ereaders.

How many have download the PD texts from this friendly site?
Everyone knows about Gutenberg?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:58 AM   #26
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I went with the nonsense answer, as I wasn't sure what counted.

I buy primarily from Amazon. Have bought from B&N and Smashwords. Then, do I want to count the freebie sites like Gutenburg or Standard eBooks? Do I want to include ComiXology and the 2000 AD Shop (I consider comics different than books, but technically...)?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:10 PM   #27
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
A quick check back shows 19 stores with 3 main stores in Baen, Kobo and Amazon. Sadly, a quick check shows that of the remaining 16 stores, I could find only two still in business. I did not count one offs, direct from author or PD such as Gutenberg and Standard eBooks in this list.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 03:36 PM   #28
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Amazon, Baen, Black Mask/Munsey's, FictionWise, Powell's.
Yeah, I'm dating myself.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 03:38 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Same. I also chose 1 because I think it's probably been 5 years since I purchased anywhere other than Amazon.
But if you have selected one when you have purchased from other shops no matter how long ago, you've chosen the wrong answer.

The question is not asking about recently.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 03:39 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Amazon, Baen, Black Mask/Munsey's, FictionWise, Powell's.
Yeah, I'm dating myself.
Are you sure you never bought any from Sony?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote