Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-19-2024, 06:20 AM   #1
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Question [Q] How to find books with a data folder present

I want to use the "add data files" function. Afterwards I want to see which books now have data files.
I found 1 option: using the Book Details showing "Book files" and "Data files".
But I do not seem to be able to query for a list of books which have a data sub-folder present.
I tried queries like path:true, path:"Data files", etc. but that does not work.
Any pointers?
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 06:44 AM   #2
capink
Wizard
capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Template language has a function called has_extra_files(). You can leverage this doing the following template search (copy paste into calibre search bar):

Code:
template:"""program: 
	if has_extra_files() then 'yes' else 'no' fi#@#:t:yes"""
A little slow because it uses templates, but it gets the job done. If you are going to use it often, it is a good idea to make this a saved search.
capink is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2024, 07:18 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
Any pointers?
I use an icon

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-19 231343.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	205884

Code:
program:
	if has_extra_files()
		then 'folder.png'
	fi
BR
Attached Images

BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 07:53 AM   #4
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capink View Post
Template language has a function called has_extra_files(). You can leverage this doing the following template search (copy paste into calibre search bar):

Code:
template:"""program: 
	if has_extra_files() then 'yes' else 'no' fi#@#:t:yes"""
A little slow because it uses templates, but it gets the job done. If you are going to use it often, it is a good idea to make this a saved search.
Yes, that works nicely. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I use an icon

Attachment 205884

Code:
program:
	if has_extra_files()
		then 'folder.png'
	fi
BR
I like this as it integrates in my preferred view. Nice icon too. No copyrights I hope?

PS: It would be nice to be able to add actions to the icon, so a click on the icon could open the data folder. A well, perhaps in a future version ...
PSPS: And it works on "Cover Grid --> Emblems" too ...

Last edited by DrChiper; 01-19-2024 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-19-2024, 03:41 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
PS: It would be nice to be able to add actions to the icon, so a click on the icon could open the data folder. A well, perhaps in a future version ...
If you can you settle for a button to press the future is already here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-20 073456.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	205898

And there are corresponding Keyboard shortcuts.

BR
Advert
Old 01-19-2024, 04:40 PM   #6
DrChiper
Bookish

And you are so right

I'm still trying to find my way on using data files using the new functionality. I used to add extra files via drag/drop in the Edit Metadata view, which worked great (for me): simple, straight forward. But I'm a simple person with simple needs and YMMV of course
Old 01-19-2024, 05:41 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

If you want to add an ebook format file to a book, remembering there can only be one of each kind (EPUB, PDF, AZW etc), rather then opening MDE doing the drag drop and closing the MDE, I find it easier to drag drop the additional format file onto the Book details panel.

To add files to the Data folder, I open the folder (calibre will fire up Windows File manager) and then I Drag-n-Drop or Cut/Copy Paste files into it… more often than not from the Desktop. As I see it, the management of the content of the Data folders is my responsibility.

BR
Old 01-20-2024, 05:32 AM   #8
DrChiper
Bookish

Quote:
If you want to add an ebook format file to a book, remembering there can only be one of each kind (EPUB, PDF, AZW etc), rather then opening MDE doing the drag drop and closing the MDE,
I knew that but all to well

Quote:
I find it easier to drag drop the additional format file onto the Book details panel.
I did not even knew this was possible on this view! Thanks! But I have here to answer a question whether I really want to drop, which I do not have to do with MDE. I suppose it is a matter of work preference.

I did encountered a new finding though: 7zip compressed files are now immediately uncompressed, which is not what I want. I guess that this is due to the last change in which 7zip files are now recognized by calibre. Good to know this behavior.

Quote:
To add files to the Data folder, I open the folder (calibre will fire up Windows File manager) and then I Drag-n-Drop or Cut/Copy Paste files into it… more often than not from the Desktop. As I see it, the management of the content of the Data folders is my responsibility.
We are always responsible for our own actions, although Kovid & Co tries to make calibre as robust as possible for blundering fools like myself

PS: I have to correct my remark about the uncompressing of 7zip files. I did use a 7-zipped PDF file, which calibre did unzipped into the PDF again. But 7-zipped text files remained zipped, which they should. Something to know.

PSPS: dropping a PNG-file on the BDP converted into cover.jpg, which is interesting. Ah well, learning all the time...

Last edited by DrChiper; 01-20-2024 at 05:39 AM.