Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-17-2024, 12:56 AM   #1
jecilop
Addict
jecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Android
Using 1 D.base on Wdws 11 & 7 - Question

UPDATE - ANSWERED in Post #2 and Post #8

I know the newest features of Calibre (links, notes) do not work on the Wdws 7 capable version of Calibre.

My question for those in the know is whether or not the special database features available and created in Wdws 11 disappear if you open it in Wdws 7 (or add an entry or update the entry that may feature the links or notes), close it, sync the "latest version" of the DBase back to the Wdws 11 computer, then open it there. Will they be gone once re-opened in Wdws 11.

Again, I realize the features won't show on the Wdws 7 computer due the software versions for the features.

And, yes, before the AWESOME additions to the Wdws 11 version I often synced the database on 2 computers (only 1 open at a time and properly synced before opening the other computer) with no problems and conflicts.

The new features, however, are unique so I don't know what happens to them. As I use them extensively, I obviously don't want to mess it up.

I do believe that a content server run off the Wdws 7 would also not show the new features either. That makes sense given the software version.

I am hoping someone in the know could tell me without me taking a lot of testing steps to see for myself (it's more complicated for me to do so than you would think right now or I'd be testing it myself), but an answer would be EXTREMELY helpful if anyone knows.

Thank you.

Last edited by jecilop; 01-17-2024 at 04:09 PM.
jecilop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 01:03 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
They are in a separate database file in the .calnotes sub-folder in your library. Older versions of calibre wont know about these files so will do nothing with them.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2024, 07:16 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The new Calibre 7.x features don't need Windows 11. They work on Windows 10 (which works on more PCs than 11), and compatible versions of MacOS and Linux (which will work on more PCs than Win7, 8, 10 or 11 but a 64 bit CPU /Linux needed for Calibre now).

The full text index / search is great. Utterly fantastic for research of a topic or checking consistency of a series.

I've not tried the extra note features.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 02:44 PM   #4
jecilop
Addict
jecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
They are in a separate database file in the .calnotes sub-folder in your library. Older versions of calibre wont know about these files so will do nothing with them.
THANK YOU!
I see from this Tag/Author Notes and Tag/Author Links??? are safe.

Thanks again. I just need basic access & comment editing on the Wdws 7 computer anyhow.

Last edited by jecilop; 01-17-2024 at 02:45 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-17-2024, 03:00 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jecilop View Post
THANK YOU!
I see from this and Tag/Author Links??? are safe.
Links are not safe. They are stored in the calibre main database using a new column. The new column's contents may or may not be preserved when editing metadata. I don't think calibre itself will crash but some plugin versions will crash if that column either exists or doesn't exist.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2024, 03:53 PM   #6
jecilop
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Links are not safe. They are stored in the calibre main database using a new column. The new column's contents may or may not be preserved when editing metadata. I don't think calibre itself will crash but some plugin versions will crash if that column either exists or doesn't exist.
So despite appearing as just 2 different columns (with different types of data for link vs note), they...I take from this...are stored differently thus making Notes safe but NOT links.

What if the only editing then is to delete an entry from the library? ... seems like that would be ok.

But....editing comments is okay with a Note (which is only on an Author or a tag used in the entry), but it's NOT okay if the tag is also an external link...

Is this an accurate summary, @KovidGoyal?

And thanks, Chaley, for more info to be careful of. One database I use is minimal on notes and links, but they are there on Author's and Tags.

Another is extensive and may have to stay as VIEWING only for researching something in the database with no editing. That will be hard to not hit that keystroke for Edit Metadata which is habit now...
Old 01-17-2024, 03:58 PM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jecilop View Post
So despite appearing as just 2 different columns (with different types of data for link vs note), they...I take from this...are stored differently thus making Notes safe but NOT links.
As you have asked Kovid to respond, not me, I will explain only this piece.

Links are stored in the main calibre DB. Notes are stored in a separate DB. As such, notes can be made unusable only if the book ID changes, which is rare. Links can (sometimes) disappear if the underlying item such as a tag is edited or otherwise modified, if items are combined, or if items are merged. Why? The older calibre won't know to copy the values in the database column it doesn't know about.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 04:08 PM   #8
jecilop
Addict

Quote:
As you have asked Kovid to respond, not me, I will explain only this piece.

Links are stored in the main calibre DB. Notes are stored in a separate DB. As such, notes can be made unusable only if the book ID changes, which is rare. Links can (sometimes) disappear if the underlying item such as a tag is edited or otherwise modified, if items are combined, or if items are merged. Why? The older calibre won't know to copy the values in the database column it doesn't know about.
THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH . This completely answered exactly what I'm wondering; I do follow your explanation and know what to look out for and not do if I continue to view on the older version.

@KovidGoyal, I'm good to go.
Old 01-17-2024, 07:24 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Links are not safe.
But it's worth pointing out that that is not because they're in a calibre library database table column.

If the target of a URL link of any sort (http, mailto, ftp, file, evernote, calibre etc) disappears or changes its address the link will cease to work no matter where it is… in a web page, an email, a spreadsheet, a WP or PDF document… or a calibre library book record.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote