Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-15-2024, 07:32 AM   #1
jelzin
jelzin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
disable Auto merged messages?

i wonder if is possible to disable the 'Auto merged' messages you get when you copy ebooks between libraries.
I don't want to turn off or change the automerge feature settings i'm using, just get rid of those messages.

I tried setting the option 'Disable notifications on job completion' but that one does nothing with the 'Auto merged' (i didn't expect it to work but just to be sure :-)
jelzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 08:45 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can disable merging when copying to library via Preferences->Adding book->Adding actions but if you have it on, you cant disable the message. Merging is potentially destructive, therefore users are always notified when it happens automatically.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2024, 10:49 AM   #3
jelzin
jelzin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Hello Kovid,

Thank you for the reply.
I understand that it may be potentially destructive but the message is after the fact (read destructive action) so it doesn't really serve a better goal that a log message could also do.
Would it not be better to warn the user when he/she selects a potentially destructive option in the settings than a warning after the fact?
But than again, it your program so you can maken the choice where to warn a user :-)
jelzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 10:56 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The message informs the user that books were merged, which may not always happen. The user is then free to investigate to check that nothing unexpected happened or ignore the message. The preference is set ONCE not every time you add books, therefore, warning when the preference is set is meaningless and is anyway obvious that merging is a destructive operation if you select one of the destructive variants for that preference.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote