Notices

Old 01-10-2024, 06:42 AM   #1
Doum
Connoisseur
Doum began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
add epub , not a zip ..

Automatically adding a book from a directory is very practical
But would it be possible, if there is a zip file, to only recover its epub file (the zip contains other unnecessary files... ) NOT loading the full zip ?

Thank for your advice
Doum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 06:50 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use add form archive
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2024, 03:55 PM   #3
Doum
Connoisseur

Heu ... where is this option ? (see image )
I see only 1) verify 2) conversion 3) add all type

With option 3 the zip is loaded, note the epub inside the zip file ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture d'écran 2024-01-10 215218.png
Views:	31
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	205738  
Old 01-10-2024, 04:00 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The option is under Add Books. See attached image. This option is not available for the Auto Add functionality.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	add_books_options.png
Views:	31
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	205739  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 04:07 PM   #5
Doum
Connoisseur

thank but it is not the automatic addition which takes place when one or more files are deposited in a specific directories see "Control the adding of book)
Advert
Old 01-10-2024, 04:44 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
This option is not available for the Auto Add functionality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doum View Post
thank but it is not the automatic addition which takes place when one or more files are deposited in a specific directories see "Control the adding of book)
I've quoted part of my reply to you – see the bolded text above. Pas disponsible.

You could ask if the functionality you want could be added to calibre. OTOH, what retail site is supplying epubs inside a .zip container with other files? I've only seen that done with books from... best way to put this... sites of dubious respect for copyright laws.

Last edited by DNSB; 01-10-2024 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-10-2024, 05:10 PM   #7
Doum
Connoisseur

oups, ok thanks both of you for your help
Old 01-10-2024, 05:14 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
OTOH, what retail site is supplying epubs inside a .zip container with other files? I've only seen that done with books from... best way to put this... sites of dubious respect for copyright laws.
I think I had some ancient Baen ISOs for CDs that did that mixe of stuff in a zip, but I could be misremembering.
I don't know of any site that directly delivers zips that have a mix of stuff in a zip. Or is someone emailing attachments that way?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 07:02 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I think I had some ancient Baen ISOs for CDs that did that mixe of stuff in a zip, but I could be misremembering.
True, the later ones did have ePubs in the mix. Unless someone has been visiting Fifth Imperium or Suramaya, those are unlikely to be seen since Baen dropped those bound-in CD 14 or so years back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I don't know of any site that directly delivers zips that have a mix of stuff in a zip. Or is someone emailing attachments that way?
The only sites I am aware of that send a mix of formats in one file mostly use RAR instead of ZIP and they are not sites I would recommend anyone to download ebooks from. As for emailing attachments, it could be done but would it be done in a sufficient quantity to need to use Auto Add?

Outside of when I abandoned my bespoken directory structure and bulk imported ~1000 ebooks into calibre, I haven't imported more than 10 books in a batch.
Old 01-11-2024, 12:47 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I've quoted part of my reply to you – see the bolded text above. Pas disponsible.

You could ask if the functionality you want could be added to calibre. OTOH, what retail site is supplying epubs inside a .zip container with other files? I've only seen that done with books from... best way to put this... sites of dubious respect for copyright laws.
Baen (Webscriptions) shipped bundles that way
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 05:29 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
True, the later ones did have ePubs in the mix. Unless someone has been visiting Fifth Imperium or Suramaya, those are unlikely to be seen since Baen dropped those bound-in CD 14 or so years back..
OneBaen CD iso file I found on the server a few months ago and added contents to Calibre actually was downloaded about 15 years ago (2009)! I'd forgotten about it, because back then I only read ebooks on my laptop.
Old 01-11-2024, 05:35 AM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Outside of when I abandoned my bespoken directory structure and bulk imported ~1000 ebooks into calibre, I haven't imported more than 10 books in a batch.
I might import about 50 at one go as I'd download new PD releases to PC, (backed up before nightly shut down to server) and then add to calibre in one go when I have some spare time, as I'd fix up collection, metadata and 'convert' to clean up. I'd select in my file manager from now to a day after last PD file date in calibre, right click, open with calibre. I have a custom column showing copyright status so I only give copies of PD to others.
Old 01-11-2024, 10:11 AM   #13
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Book Bale sends epub and mobi in a single zip file.

bernie
Quote:
True, the later ones did have ePubs in the mix. Unless someone has been visiting Fifth Imperium or Suramaya, those are unlikely to be seen since Baen dropped those bound-in CD 14 or so years back.

The only sites I am aware of that send a mix of formats in one file mostly use RAR instead of ZIP and they are not sites I would recommend anyone to download ebooks from. As for emailing attachments, it could be done but would it be done in a sufficient quantity to need to use Auto Add?

gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 01:49 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Baen (Webscriptions) shipped bundles that way
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Book Bale sends epub and mobi in a single zip file.
Mea culpa.

The Baen bundles I receive are epub format ebooks though in a single file. I have a batch file that I wrote years back that unpacked their bundles. I was looking at it and it unpacks epubs into one directory, .lit files into another directory and any other formats into a dumpster directory. It also works with the .zip version of their CDs which, if I can trust my memory after close to 2 decades, was the main target when originally written.

I would not want auto add on the Baen bundles since they include quite a few older books that I probably already have in my main library.
Old 01-11-2024, 04:24 PM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

No, you really want to only auto add a bunch of known stuff from maybe an older PC or something.
I've not had a use case for auto-add in maybe 10 years, because I also keep and backup the files outside Calibre that are added. I don't care that there is a duplicate. Ebooks are tiny compared to many of my PD images or even PMP formatted short videos, never mind audio or video editing projects.

Last edited by Quoth; 01-11-2024 at 04:27 PM.