Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-10-2024, 05:44 PM   #16
BonkyBob
BonkyBob began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Scribe
BetterRed,
I saw the register and unregister thing but i don't know how or where to use it.
Unfortunately I'm a mechanical engineer not a software one so this is all quite challenging.
Your patience is appreciated!
BonkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 12:59 AM   #17
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkyBob View Post
BetterRed,
I saw the register and unregister thing but i don't know how or where to use it.
Unfortunately I'm a mechanical engineer not a software one so this is all quite challenging.
Your patience is appreciated!
To do the unregister, press the Windows key+R to pop the Run box, enter the following (use copy and paste from here), and then press enter.

Code:
calibre-debug --default-programs=unregister
Click image for larger version

Name:	run box.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	205745

A black box window will pop, a message will be displayed briefly before the black box window disappears… job done.

To set the Environment variable you use the Run box again, this time enter sysdm.cpl, and this should pop when you hit Enter:

Name:	sys adm.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	205746

Click the Advanced Tab and this should appear:

Name:	advanced.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	205747

Click the Environment Variables button and this should pop:

Name:	env vars.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	205748

Click the New button and the dialogue to enter new variables and values will pop

Name:	new env var.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	205749

Copy an paste this ==>> CALIBRE_NO_DEFAULT_PROGRAMS into the Name field, enter a Value, e.g. 1, true or the colour of your grandma's gum boot. Click OK and you're done.

Now, maybe you can tell me where that nut went when it fell off the handle of the drawer in which I keep my casual pants. By rights it should have fallen into the drawer, but it disappeared into thin air

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2024, 12:19 PM   #18
BonkyBob

Thank you for the explanation BetterRed,
I followed your instructions (nice and easy to follow, excellent!).
Rebooted the computer, opened a pdf file and then closed it.
Started Calibre..it imported the pdf i had just opened.
I think I'll just have to live with this until i do a fresh install of win 11.
It's one of those unknowns. Like your nut.
Thanks for your efforts.
Cheers
Old 01-11-2024, 06:29 PM   #19
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Arrgh - I misunderstood, so calibre imported it when it started, not when you clicked on it

What do you have in Add books->Configuration->Automatic adding? I don't use Autoadd, so I have nothing in those settings.

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-12 102600.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	205769

BR
Old 01-11-2024, 11:37 PM   #20
BonkyBob

BetterRed,
That's correct. As soon as i open Calibre it add the books.
The only tick in that Automatic adding is...
Automatically convert added files to the preferred output format.
Advert
Old 01-12-2024, 12:58 AM   #21
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Where are the file's calibre is adding, are they always in same place - e.g. your Desktop or Downloads folder? If so, move them somewhere else - e.g. a "Work" folder on your C: drive, and then start calibre.

Have you installed the JobSpy plugin? It has a per library tweak for AutoAdd:

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-12 162722.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	205770

Another possibility is the Windows Send to menu:

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-12 164127.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	205771

The _calibre item I've boxed is a shortcut to calibre.exe, if I clicked it as shown, the Inside the Carbon Cult PDF would be added to the current library. Send to is the primary mechanism by which I add books.

Like most engineers (ChemEng in my case) I don't like inexplicable phenomena. He might move in mysterious ways but the things He's alleged to have created don't do that… not even nuts that fall off drawer handles.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-12-2024 at 01:02 AM.
Old 01-12-2024, 01:36 AM   #22
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkyBob View Post
Thank you for the explanation BetterRed,
I followed your instructions (nice and easy to follow, excellent!).
Rebooted the computer, opened a pdf file and then closed it.
Started Calibre..it imported the pdf i had just opened.
I think I'll just have to live with this until i do a fresh install of win 11.
It's one of those unknowns. Like your nut.
Thanks for your efforts.
Cheers
Instead of fresh install of windows I would recommend just moving your calibre library to calibre portable. And uninstalling the normal install of calibre then delete its settings. As from reading through this thread it seem like the problem happens when you open calibre so you calibre settings seem to be borked
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 02:29 AM   #23
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Instead of fresh install of windows I would recommend just moving your calibre library to calibre portable. And uninstalling the normal install of calibre then delete its settings. As from reading through this thread it seem like the problem happens when you open calibre so you calibre settings seem to be borked

I agree, reinstalling Windows rarely solves anything these days. And corrupt configuration files have often caused problems (mainly screen geometry).

To test if the configuration data is the culprit, all the OP need do is to rename the calibre configuration folder when calibre is closed then start calibre and let it create a new configuration.

@BonkyBob - to rename the configuration folder
  • Click the "Open calibre configuration folder" button in Preferences->Miscellaneous.
  • Close calibre.
  • The folder will be something like
    Code:
    C:\Users\<xxxxxx>\AppData\Roaming\calibre
  • Rename it to something like calibre_save.
  • Start calibre

If that resolves the issue, you can eyeball the saved config files to help you put things back together.

BR
Old 01-12-2024, 11:34 AM   #24
BonkyBob

Thank for the suggestions BetterRed and Dopedangel, i will try those.
Had not thought of portable version.
The fresh install is due regardless.
I'll report back
Cheers
Old 01-12-2024, 11:41 AM   #25
BonkyBob

I just copied - (not opened) a file from my downloads folder to my desktop.
Opened Calibre and it imported it.
Old 01-12-2024, 12:08 PM   #26
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Copied means the Downloads was still there... So how do you know which was copied?

I still think you have Preferences :Adding books: Automatic adding (A TAB) set

BTW I just found mine had an entry I would have never used. (and does not exist at this time): HDimages
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 12:21 PM   #27
BonkyBob

theducks - there is nothing ticked in that preference, i've unticked everything.
I was trying to move a Macrium Reflect image from one drive to another.
I open Calibre and it tried to import that.
Old 01-12-2024, 01:07 PM   #28
BonkyBob

I have tried all of the suggestions above and at this stage the only thing that seems to be working (so far) is using the portable edition of Calibre.
Some testing coming up....
Old 01-12-2024, 01:11 PM   #29
BonkyBob

I've tried all of the above and so far no luck.
Even the portable version of Calibre does the same thing.
I'll just have to live with it i think.
Thank you to all who have suggested fixes.
Old 01-12-2024, 01:16 PM   #30
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Something is very broken, and it's not file associations.
Anything non-standard about your OS?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote