Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-09-2024, 12:04 PM   #1
Jackwc
Jackwc began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
If [tag], then [tag]?

Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone knew of some way to have tags automatically added to a book if another tag is added. For instance, I might have the tag:

Subject.Wars & Conflicts.By Name.World War I

and the tag:

Subject.Wars & Conflicts.By Date.1914-1918 -- World War I

It would be nice if whenever I tag a book with "Subject.Wars & Conflicts.By Name.World War I" it automatically adds "Subject.Wars & Conflicts.By Date.1914-1918 -- World War I" as well so I don't have to do it manually.

Any ideas?
Jackwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 03:22 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackwc View Post
Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone knew of some way to have tags automatically added to a book if another tag is added. For instance, I might have the tag:

Subject.Wars & Conflicts.By Name.World War I

and the tag:

Subject.Wars & Conflicts.By Date.1914-1918 -- World War I

It would be nice if whenever I tag a book with "Subject.Wars & Conflicts.By Name.World War I" it automatically adds "Subject.Wars & Conflicts.By Date.1914-1918 -- World War I" as well so I don't have to do it manually.

Any ideas?
First thought was the Tag Mapper feature of Add books, viz:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-10 071218.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	205700

But that would only work if you wrangled the By Name tag into the embedded metadata before adding the book.

How do you assign the Tags to a Book, if you use the Manage items : Tags dialogue it should be easy to assign both at the same time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-10 073445.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	205701

In the Book List that would be via Shift/F2 on the Tags cell, in the MDE it's the button to the left of the Tags field.

However, I would put the start-end years in a separate column and use Saved multi-term search expressions searches rather than shoehorning everything into Hierarchical Tags, but that's another conversation.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-09-2024 at 03:36 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert