Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-14-2023, 02:47 AM   #1
wulfie
wulfie began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel
white screen?

So I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'm gonna give it a shot anyhow Some times, when I open the lid on my laptop that is running Calibre, I'm greeted with calibre in fullscreen mode but just a white screen and have to close the app and restart it to get it working properly again. Has anyone else had this happen? Is there a 'fix'? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Wulfie
wulfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 03:50 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
yes it s a known bug in calibre 7 on windows because of an underlying Qt toolkit issue. There's no real fix at the moment.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2023, 06:29 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfie View Post
So I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'm gonna give it a shot anyhow Some times, when I open the lid on my laptop that is running Calibre, I'm greeted with calibre in fullscreen mode but just a white screen and have to close the app and restart it to get it working properly again. Has anyone else had this happen? Is there a 'fix'? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Wulfie
You should never close the lid of your laptop with calibre running. Close calibre and then close the lid.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 10:06 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You should never close the lid of your laptop with calibre running. Close calibre and then close the lid.
Huh.. care to explain why? I presume then you also mean I should never allow my desktop to either sleep or hibernate with Calibre active??

Pleased to see Jon still has his "interesting" opinions.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 10:21 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Closing the Lid when that controls sleep or shutdown may prevent Write Behind Cache from actually saving to storage. What happens when the battery goes flat because you forgot it was Just a quick lid close?

I used to manage Paradox DOS, Sleep could leave a Record or Table lock in place (or keep a 'seat license' in use), preventing other users from proceeding (script wait for lock to clear). It was fun rushing around to find out 'who' had just installed a screen saver against Co policy (for this reason)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2023, 10:53 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Huh.. care to explain why? I presume then you also mean I should never allow my desktop to either sleep or hibernate with Calibre active?
Jon's right this time.

Indeed I've disabled ANY action on closing a lid, on XP, Win7, Win10 and Linux. And sleep button. It seems to break a wide variety of things from networking, USB devices, file locking, gpu etc.

I had to even disable "Blank Screen" on one laptop, as closing the lid (any OS) resulted also that the external monitor blanked. Trying Extend, Mirror and Laptop screen disabled all worked when lid open, but blanked the external screen if lid was closed.

Suspend to disk if battery low mostly but not always works. Occasionally some device doesn't restart, but at least the unsaved files are saved. Sometimes you get distracted, called away or whatever.

Now I also have a UPS on the main workstation.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 11:17 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post

Now I also have a UPS on the main workstation.
Amen.
I have more than 1 as my network and devices are throughout the house and the Router also supplies my Voice line (the cordless phone base is also on UPS).

Just this Month, they got a workout as the High voltage line up the street broke and started a fire (and cause weird voltages at the houses. Flip OFF your main breaker if this happen to avoid damaged equipment.).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 01:25 PM   #8
wulfie

I always disable the sleep/shutdown feature of my laptops when closing the lid. the lid is only to protect the keys on my keyboard from our 5 cats, lol. As for the white screen problem, I have uninstalled calibre and installed an older 6.x version. Hopefully this will get fixed in the future.
Old 12-14-2023, 01:59 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfie View Post
I always disable the sleep/shutdown feature of my laptops when closing the lid. the lid is only to protect the keys on my keyboard from our 5 cats, lol. As for the white screen problem, I have uninstalled calibre and installed an older 6.x version. Hopefully this will get fixed in the future.
There's no need to go back. Just close calibre before you close the lid.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 02:00 PM   #10
wulfie

Quote:
There's no need to go back. Just close calibre before you close the lid.
I can't close calibre, my girlfriend access the 'library' in moon+ on her android tablet when I'm at work, etc
Old 12-14-2023, 02:25 PM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Amen.
I have more than 1 as my network and devices are throughout the house and the Router also supplies my Voice line (the cordless phone base is also on UPS).
No voice phone now without electricity, even though the fibre is passive (clue in name GPON).
So indeed my fibre modem (replaces 10.4GHz radio link and cable modem), router, managed switch and DECT cordless phone is on another UPS.

Curiously I found the workstation boots much faster when "BIOS" setting "automatic boot with AC on" (or some such). So after OS shutdown I leave screen on and tap On/Off button on UPS. Then to boot I tap the UPS button.

I'm considering half a dozen solar panels on shed roof, cheap 24V camping inverters and cheap car batteries as it would be for back-up more than reducing billing (which takes years to payback) or "selling" to grid which is about x5 more expensive to get installed (fancier electronics and only approved installer). I'll see if anyone invades anyone else?

Last edited by Quoth; 12-14-2023 at 02:29 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 09:24 AM   #12
gstock97
gstock97 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I have a similar thing on my desktop. I found that in the notification area I located the Calibre icon. If I right-click on it and select "Show Main Window" my white screen goes away returns the normal Calibre view.

The option "Enable System Tray Icon" is selected in my case to prevent accidental closure.
gstock97 is offline   Reply With Quote