Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-24-2018, 10:46 PM   #586
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Free--God's Story: The Bible Epic from Abraham to Exile, by Mark Roncace.

Description, from Amazon:
Have you ever started to read the Bible and given up, bogged down with lists of weird names and tedious laws? Or maybe you’ve never even tried because you thought it was too boring and outdated? God’s Story will change all that. This unprecedented version of the Bible, from Abraham to David, draws you into the plot twists and turns and introduces you to many little-known but fascinating characters of this amazing Scriptural epic. By peeling away the difficult parts and telling the story as story, Roncace uncovers and presents the greatest story never told. If the Bible has left you bewildered and baffled, this book enables you to read it again for the first time. And if you’ve never been sufficiently interested or motivated to pick up the Bible, it invites you to do so by revealing this divine—and powerfully human—epic in all its uncensored wonder.

Extremely highly rated--4.5 stars, from 20 reviews at Amazon; 4.62, from 8 reviews at GoodReads (extremely high for them, but there are not enough reviews to really get a good read (no pun intended).

Digital list price $3.99; again, it's free now. 387 pages.

Admittedly, I have made only a very brief look-over of the book. But it reminds me of the old Hurlbut's Story of the Bible that many of us grew up with.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017KYKOHW/.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 03-25-2018 at 10:49 PM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 12:02 AM   #587
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Is your life bland? Lacking in spice? Maybe you've lost your psalter. Gordon Wenham and Amazon.com can help you.

The Psalter Reclaimed: Praying and Praising with the Psalms for $4.99
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2018, 12:43 AM   #588
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
Is your life bland? Lacking in spice? Maybe you've lost your psalter. Gordon Wenham and Amazon.com can help you.

The Psalter Reclaimed: Praying and Praising with the Psalms for $4.99
I'm not trying to play one-upsmanship. Really, I'm not.

Christianbook has it for $3.99. I sprung for it, instead of Amazon's, not only because it saved me a dollar, but also because it is DRM Free.

Funny pun, by the way.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:52 AM   #589
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
I'm not trying to play one-upsmanship. Really, I'm not.
There's an ancient Mayan saying that fits here perfectly. Since I don't know what that saying is, I'll stick with 'No worries, mate!'
Old 03-26-2018, 06:45 PM   #590
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
There's an ancient Mayan saying that fits here perfectly. Since I don't know what that saying is, I'll stick with 'No worries, mate!'
I know what the Mayan saying is, but I don't want to play one-upsmanship.
Advert
Old 03-26-2018, 07:12 PM   #591
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Moved to the "Cookbooks" thread, where it belongs. Arrrghh!

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 03-27-2018 at 11:37 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:48 PM   #592
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
^^I guess barbecue is a religion for some.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 05:02 PM   #593
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
^^I guess barbecue is a religion for some.
So sorry. I'll move it if I'm allowed to; if not, please do.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:08 PM   #594
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
So sorry. I'll move it if I'm allowed to; if not, please do.
I'm sorry; I couldn't resist that opening!

I'll move it if you haven't reposted.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:21 PM   #595
steven168
Zealot
steven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 & 3
bcos it is food :P
steven168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:06 AM   #596
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

The Dawn of Christianity: How God Used Simple Fishermen . . . to Change the World.

I haven't posted much on this thread lately (except for cookbooks. ), in order to work on posting on the Whispersync Deals thread (it seems to be moderately successful, thank you for asking ). But this one looked too good not to post.

Garners a 4.2-star, from 25 reviews, rating at Amazon; at GoodReads where the raters tend to be . . . how shall I say this nicely . . . less generous with their ratings than those at Amazon, it has a great 4.20 (25).

The great price, $1.99 at the present moment, doesn't hurt my opinion, either. Ereaderiq.com says that the retail price of the digital version is $7.99, making for a reduction of 75% from the already discounted normal Amazon price. BTW--Christianbook has the same, sale, price on the ebook (ePub , DRM Protected).

Some reference books of "Christian Interest," frankly, have gotten too old, relatively speaking. IMHO, since results in archaeological finds and write-ups about the significance of them are progressing rapidly, this is one area, for example, where it's important to have newer books. This tome apparently was published almost exactly one year ago today.

The Dawn of Christianity: How God Used Simple Fishermen, Soldiers, and Prostitutes to Transform the World, by Robert J. Hutchinson.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 03-28-2018 at 12:54 AM.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:43 PM   #597
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Free- Rescue the Captors: Written from within a Marxist guerrilla camp in Colombia, the true story of a kidnapped jungle pilot by Russell Stendal

Description - from Amazon
American bush pilot Russell Stendal, on routine business, landed his plane in a remote Colombian village. Gunfire exploded throughout the town and within minutes Russell's 142 day ordeal had begun. The Colombian cartel explained that this was a kidnapping for ransom and that he would be held until payment was made.

Held at gunpoint deep in the jungle and with little else to occupy his time, Russell got ahold of some paper and began to write. He told the story of his life and kept a record of his experience in the guerrilla camp. His “book” became a bridge to the men who held him hostage and now serves as the basis for this incredible true story of how God’s love penetrated a physical and ideological jungle.

How did this incredible true story affect Russell? “At first my mind went wild with thoughts of revenge and violence. Then, after a while, I was able to see through their attempt to break me down and brainwash me. I started making a determined effort to throw all their stories and dramas out of my mind and not to let my thoughts dwell on them at all. I would trust God that He would take care of my wife and I would close my mind to my captors’ input. I decided to think about positive values instead.”

“I told them that they had two choices, either kill me, or let me go for whatever small amount my family could afford. One of the guerrillas turned and asked me if I was afraid to die. I replied that dying is obviously uncomfortable, but yes, I was prepared to die.”

“My captors tied me up and left the rope on day and night. They were seriously trying to completely break me psychologically and then brainwash me. Every day new things were done to alter me and work towards that goal. My captors started telling me scare stories. Some of these stories were about wild animals. They told me some of the wildest, hair-raising tales about lions and tigers that I have ever heard. These stories were designed both to intimidate me, reducing my ability to sleep, and to cause me to think twice before I decided to try to escape into the jungle again.”

“God used my hostage situation to show me that I had been guilty of resisting God’s hand on my life and had therefore been unwittingly spending an unnecessary amount of time in that spiritual birth canal being squeezed all out of shape instead of coming out into the light and being born again. I decided that I was going to forget my own big missionary plans and projects, and instead I would concentrate on discerning where God was moving and then try to jump on His bandwagon – God taught me how to be a true missionary for Him. I began to react towards problems and adversity as opportunities to learn important things and as opportunities for God to use me to bring glory to Himself. My life changed to one of victory in Jesus Christ. I still have problems, difficulties, and even an occasional defeat; but now I can clearly see the design and purpose that God has for my life. If I have the right attitude, God can reign over everything that happens in my life and teach me something useful from even the most difficult experiences.”

https://www.amazon.com/Rescue-Captor...ussell+stendal
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 02:05 AM   #598
Fluribus
Guru

Fair warning: This must be read in a John Wayne voice, Pilgrim. It's the law.

The story is a classic of Russian Orthodox spirituality and the the Jesus prayer. Amazon lists Thomas Cleary as an author, but this appears to be an error.

Olga Savin (translator) The Way of a Pilgrim and The Pilgrim Continues His Way for $2.99 at Amazon.com.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:55 AM   #599
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Fair warning: This must be read in a John Wayne voice, Pilgrim. It's the law.

The story is a classic of Russian Orthodox spirituality and the the Jesus prayer. Amazon lists Thomas Cleary as an author, but this appears to be an error.

Olga Savin (translator) The Way of a Pilgrim and The Pilgrim Continues His Way for $2.99 at Amazon.com.
It's published by Shambhala Publishers.

The name of the author of this book probably has been lost to history. There was possibly a period of oral transmission of the story, during which the author's name was known, but over the years it became lost. Then, at some point, someone probably transcribed the story.

I agree with you--the appearance of Thomas Cleary's name appears to be an error. However, it was probably an easy mistake to make--I did a search on Shambhala's website for "Thomas Cleary." There were 77 hits, most, if not all, being books in which he was a/the translator. As far as this book that you posted is concerned, Olga Savin appears to be the (one and only) translator.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 04-02-2018 at 04:04 AM.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:20 AM   #600
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Two Ebooks for the More Scholarly-Inclined, at Truly Fantastic Markdowns!

First, The Hebrew Gospel and the Development of the Synoptic Tradition. By James R. Edwards.

$3.99 through April 30; Ereaderiq.com says that the regular digital price at Amazon is $32.40! 402 pages.

4.8 stars, but from only 7 reviews at Amazon; 4.50 at GoodReads, from only 2 ratings. Nine reviews is not a large enough "sample," statistically speaking, to get valid results. I have a standing rule not to post any book with less than 20 ratings. However, I'm going to make an exception in this case, because of the outstanding ratings that author Edwards' other books get (see the ones that Amazon sells).

Description
This book offers a new explanation of the development of the first three Gospels based on a careful examination of both patristic testimony to the “Hebrew Gospel” and internal evidence in the canonical Gospels themselves. James Edwards breaks new ground and challenges assumptions that have long been held in the New Testament guild but actually lack solid evidence.

Here's the link to this book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GNFPXO/.

Second, Baptismal Imagery in Early Christianity: Ritual, Visual, and Theological Dimensions. By Robin M. Jensen.

$0.99 through April 30, also. Ereaderiq.com says the regular digital price at Amazon is $14.89! 258 pages.

4.3 stars, but from only 7 reviews at Amazon; a 4.00, from 19 ratings from the . . . let's say . . . "more discerning," crowd at GoodReads.

Description
What can we learn from early Christian imagery about the theological meaning of baptism? Robin Jensen, a leading scholar of early Christian art and worship, examines multiple dimensions of the early Christian baptismal rite. She explores five models for understanding baptism--as cleansing from sin, sickness, and Satan; as incorporation into the community; as sanctifying and illuminative; as death and regeneration; and as the beginning of the new creation--showing how visual images, poetic language, architectural space, and symbolic actions signify and convey the theological meaning of this ritual practice. Considering image and action together, Jensen offers a holistic and integrated understanding of the power of baptism. The book is illustrated with photos.

Here's the link to this book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0080K3QXU/.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 04-10-2018 at 12:32 AM.