Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-02-2018, 11:16 AM   #556
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Fantastic!

Thanks for taking so much time to research(?) and write out all of that information. I'll definitely be saving that post to the hdd. I don't know where else that I could get all of that information in one place.

Forgive me if I overlooked this on one or both of your posts, but have you had a chance to read any of Peterson's translation/paraphrase of the Apocrypha yet? If so, what do you think about its ease of reading (your point about the KJV being harder to read than more recent translations was well taken).

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 03-02-2018 at 11:25 AM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:16 PM   #557
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
OMEGAMAN Magazine issue #4 is free.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/geqa10...-+3-3-2018.pdf

Quote:
Welcome to OMEGAMAN ™ Magazine! Decades ago great Healing and Deliverance Magazines were printed and distributed each month to hundreds of thousands of people around the globe but one by one the magazines disappeared from the scene.

OMEGAMAN ™ Magazine has picked up the torch and is excited to be able to offer you a 175+ Page Full Color Magazine that is filled with articles that will bless your soul. Dedicated to the Great Commission that Jesus Christ gave all mankind to go into the world and preach the Gospel with signs that will follow.

Click on the Download links above to receive your free copy of the magazine.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2018, 07:56 PM   #558
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Olive Tree Bible has a Deal of the Day promotion.

Today's is a bundle of five booklets, instead of the usual single book. All of these booklets are published by IVP. Olive Tree, IVP, or someone else is designating this the "Exploring Christianity" bundle. The five booklets all relate in some way to apologetics and/or similar subjects.

The entire set is only 99 cents. The usual Olive Tree price is $4.99, making for an 80% discount today.

The authors and titles:
- Taylor, Ken--Can I Believe Christianity?
- Groothius, Douglas--Are All Religions One?
- Cassidy, Michael--Christianity for the Open-Minded.
- Ashton, Mark--Absolute Truth.
- Alexander, John W.--What Is Christianity?

You must have the Olive Tree app installed on your platform. However, the platforms now include Windows and Mac; I think that in the recent past you had to have Android or iOS, but I could be mistaken about that.

Go here to get the deal.

I have been casually vetting this Deal of the Day promotion by Olive Tree for a little while. It appears that their "day" may not correspond to a 12 midnight to 12 midnight day. Another possibility is that they are using a time zone other than the Eastern Standard Time zone. I'll need some more time to nail that down; if you have some information about that, please pass it along to me in a PM or in the open thread.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 03-03-2018 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:38 AM   #559
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Get a free short (38-page-ish) ebook, Calling, A Biblical Perspective, from the Theology of Work Project.

A quote, from the Theology of Work Project, about their work:
. . . . We spend more time at work than any other waking activity. Understanding God’s calling helps you live life and follow Christ more fully every day of the week.

One of, if not the, largest, of their projects is a commentary/Bible study on every book of the New Testament about what that book of the New Testament says about work. Interesting.

The cost for some "freebies" is less painful than for others. This one is not very painful: simply sign up for the Theology of Work Project's newsletter. You can do it conveniently from this webpage: www.theologyofwork.org/about. Look for the link near the top of the webpage. After signing up, you'll get an email with a link to the ebook; you can also read the ebook online immediately.

ADDENDUM: Folks, I'm going to have to go back and re-read the above-referenced webpage. I got two emails from Theology of Work Project after signing up for their newsletter: one to welcome me, and one to show me a video and give me some information about the organization, etc. However, the website states: "The Theology of Work Project is pleased to offer our eBook, Calling: A Biblical Perspective, as a free gift to you." However, I can't find a link to a downloadable ebook among my email messages from them.

ADDENDUM 2: If, when you are offered the book, try clicking on "online version," or something to that effect. Do not click on "download." After the online version opens, I think that you can download the ebook from there.

Of course, if you've already signed up for the newsletter, viewed the online version, and closed it (a PDF), you might not be able to view the online version again. I'll have to see what I can find out.

Theology of Work states on more than one webpage on their site:
Theology of Work Project Online Materials by Theology of Work Project, Inc. is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at www.theologyofwork.org

You are free to share (to copy, distribute and transmit the work), and remix (to adapt the work) for non-commercial use only, under the condition that you must attribute the work to the Theology of Work Project, Inc., but not in any way that suggests that it endorses you or your use of the work.
© 2013 by the Theology of Work Project, Inc.

Since the document is licensed under a "Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License," it might be that someone who has downloaded the ebook from the online version could post that PDF on MobileRead as an attachment, I will have to read up on that, to be sure, and then consult with one or more of the moderators before giving an answer to you.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 03-06-2018 at 12:37 AM.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:04 AM   #560
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Get a _free_ copy of Walter Brueggeman's _Praying the Psalms_, Second Edition.

It seems like there are a lot of books out nowadays on praying the Psalms. Most of the time I pass them up, even if they are free, because the quality of writing and/or scholarship is just "not there." Brueggeman, however, certainly has a very large number of books, as well as other publications, on his _curriculum vitae_, and is considered a Biblical scholar in the first tier.

This is a Wipf and Stock book (another indication of high quality). To get the ebook, follow the same instructions as I gave in post #542. If you have any issues ordering, and/or getting the book for free, let me know.

https://wipfandstock.com/praying-the...eid=bf47d6143e.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 03-06-2018 at 09:25 PM.
Advert
Old 03-06-2018, 09:19 PM   #561
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

The following freebie is an ebook exploring what it looks like to integrate one's faith as a Christian and his or her work. It comes to us from the Max De Pree Seminary Center for Leadership at Fuller Seminary.

The subject of work and the Christian must be a budding topic among professing Christians. I brought up, a couple of posts back, a "Theology of Work Project" that I had never heard of before, and the fact that they have created a set of commentaries/Bible studies on every book of the Bible (I actually said, "the New Testament"--I was off by only 39 books (the number of books in the Old Testament) ha), showing how every one of those books deals with the topic of work. In the email that I got about this present freebie, Mark Roberts, executive director of Fuller Seminary’s Max De Pree Center for Leadership, explains, "Increasingly, the conversation about faith and work is emerging among more diverse participants in more diverse communities". He goes on to say about this freebie that it is "a collection of articles on faith and work that reflect some of those diverse perspectives."

This free ebook is actually an issue of Fuller Seminary's magazine, Fuller. The essays in it are curated by Dr. Roberts. "In reading these essays, you’ll think afresh about how your faith shapes your work and vice versa, and how, through your daily work, you are contributing to God’s work in the world," Roberts says.

Go here to get the freebie. It is a PDF, and unlike the freebie about work a couple of posts back, downloading and saving this one was simple, easy, and glitch-free.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 03-07-2018 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:43 PM   #562
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

FREE, for Completing a Survey--Calvin on the Christian Life, by Michael Horton.

I dedicate this post to Difflugia, whom I remember likes such things.

Take a short (probably 10 minutes max) survey from Crossway, and receive a free book, Calvin on the Christian Life, by Michael Horton. This is a $10 ebook at Amazon.

The survey pertains to Crossway's ESV Readers Bible, Six-Volume Set. This is a paper-based set of books, but the freebie is an ebook. Crossway wants to find out the thoughts of peeps concerning a proposed new edition of that set of books. From the landing page for the survey:
We Want Your Opinion

The original 'ESV Reader’s Bible, Six-Volume Set' breaks up the biblical text into six distinct volumes, is printed on thicker book paper, and comes in an elegant slipcase. It also lacks chapter and verse numbers, with the aim of facilitating prolonged and undistracted reading.

Crossway is exploring the possibility of creating a new multi-volume Bible that is similar to the original ESV Reader's Bible, Six-Volume Set in every respect except that it would INCLUDE subtle chapter and verse numbers.

This link should work for you to take the survey and get your free ebook.

A warning, of sorts, and a request: Crossway offers the free ebook in all three of our favorite flavors--mobi, ePub, and PDF. In the past when I have filled out one of their surveys in order to get a free ebook, I was able to download the ebook in all three of those formats. For some reason, after I downloaded the first one (a mobi) this time, I couldn't get back to the webpage where the format options are given. Would you please do me a favor? Please send the URL of that webpage to me by PM or as a post to the open thread (in case someone else would like to have it). Thank you!

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 03-07-2018 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:11 AM   #563
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
A warning, of sorts, and a request: Crossway offers the free ebook in all three of our favorite flavors--mobi, ePub, and PDF. In the past when I have filled out one of their surveys in order to get a free ebook, I was able to download the ebook in all three of those formats. For some reason, after I downloaded the first one (a mobi) this time, I couldn't get back to the webpage where the format options are given. Would you please do me a favor? Please send the URL of that webpage to me by PM or as a post to the open thread (in case someone else would like to have it). Thank you!
The link would simply take you back to the beginning of the survey. If you want the other formats, you'll need to take the survey again. I assume that it's done to prevent people from skipping the survey.

The safer way to download the various formats is to right-click to bring up the options rather than to click through and return. In my case, I chose the 'open link in new tab' option. The 'save link as' option will work if the link is directly to the item rather than to a download page for the item.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:56 AM   #564
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
The link would simply take you back to the beginning of the survey. If you want the other formats, you'll need to take the survey again. I assume that it's done to prevent people from skipping the survey.

The safer way to download the various formats is to right-click to bring up the options rather than to click through and return. In my case, I chose the 'open link in new tab' option. The 'save link as' option will work if the link is directly to the item rather than to a download page for the item.
Yeah, I thought of taking the survey again. Aside from the ethical concerns, if many people did that it would skew the results of the survey and thwart the purpose(s) for which Crossway sent out the survey.

Since Crossway hadn't said _not_ to download more than one format, I didn't see anything wrong about getting more than one. I right-clicked on some option on the menu--I've forgotten now which--but I think that it was the one that you mentioned. It didn't do what I wanted it to. Getting the undesired outcome may have been due to my own ineptitude and/or lack of perseverance.

A question, to you or anyone: are all mobi's DRM-Protected, or is that something that just a policy of Amazon's?

_Thank you for responding to my query!_ A couple of other people have PM'd me, and I'll personally thank them, too.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 03-08-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:19 AM   #565
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Quote:
A question, to you or anyone: are all mobi's DRM-Protected, or is that something that just a policy of Amazon's?
Aside from any leftovers from the old Mobipocket days, the only mobi files with DRM are from Amazon. Amazon allows publishers to protect their files or not, so files from Amazon may or may not have DRM. Files from anywhere else (like the one from Crossway) absolutely don't.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:22 AM   #566
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quickly--Google Play has William Wallace's _Cold Case Christianity_ for $3.82. It is regularly priced $16.99.

Wallace is a rising star among apologists (sp?) for Christianity. He was an atheist for the first part of his life. He worked as a homocide detective for some police department, until his retirement.

I have only listened to the audio, not read the book. It was riveting to listen to. I've got some issues with the approach, composition, etc. of the book, but none, that I remember, with its substance. Wallace has written another book or two on the same or similar theme since that one--his first one, I think--and I'm looking forward to listening (preferably) or reading it(them).

Play.Google.com.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 03-08-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:58 PM   #567
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quickly--Google Play has William Wallace's _Cold Case Christianity_ for $3.82. It is regularly priced $16.99.

J. Warner Wallace vs. William Wallace

Old 03-08-2018, 02:32 PM   #568
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post

J. Warner Wallace vs. William Wallace

So, which one is J. Warner, and which one is William?

Since it is just human "nature" to make excuses, I'm not going to disappoint you. I did preface the post with "quickly--". I was in a rush to get out of the house, but wanted to make the post before I left, being conscientious as I am and so forth. It was for the same reason that I questioned my spelling of "apologist." Furthermore, I do know of a "William (E.) Wallace. He was the editor of an obscure religious journal--perhaps it was _Gospel Guardian_. I don't know if William wrote any books, but his father, Foy E. Wallace did.

Anyway, genuine thanks for the correction. I hate to appear ignernt.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 03-08-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:09 PM   #569
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba

Quote:
Anyway, genuine thanks for the correction. I hate to appear ignernt.
The reason I noticed it at all is because I've made that exact mistake.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:26 PM   #570
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
The reason I noticed it at all is because I've made that exact mistake.
Great minds think alike.