Notices

Old 04-12-2017, 06:58 AM   #661
LarryNYC
Groupie
LarryNYC began at the beginning.

Device: Sony DPT-S1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser s View Post
Looks like Sony is coming out with a newer version of the DPT-S1.

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreak...ablet-notebook
Yes!! Go Sony! Where is the preorder button? Will I be able to buy this in the US?

My biggest fear was that Sony was abandoning this product line and that eventually I'd have to accept a poor substitute for the S1.

Even though I also overpaid for the S1, I don't regret it, I love the device that much. I almost pulled the trigger on another S1 yesterday, glad I saw this announcement.

I'm grateful that they're sticking by their vision of PDF only and that it will be thinner and lighter, with higher resolution. This is good news for all people who love eInk devices.

Last edited by LarryNYC; 04-12-2017 at 07:07 AM.
LarryNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:12 PM   #662
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryNYC View Post
I'm grateful that they're sticking by their vision of PDF only
why? they could easily port over the code they used in their T series readers to add support for epub. how would supporting just the pdf format be better than supporting both pdf and epub?
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2017, 12:46 PM   #663
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
why? they could easily port over the code they used in their T series readers to add support for epub. how would supporting just the pdf format be better than supporting both pdf and epub?
It's not really a device just for reading, but also for marking up documents. PDF supports that well, whereas EPUB currently doesn't.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:08 PM   #664
EmilThelonius
Enthusiast
EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.EmilThelonius knows who John Galt is.

Device: Sony DPT-RP1 and Pocketbook Touch Lux 2 and Basic
Quote:
how would supporting just the pdf format be better than supporting both pdf and epub?
Have you ever annotated an epub with a stylus (rather than just highlighting)? I mean: it is simply not possible to scribble notes into epubs or mobi-files. Sony wants to keep it as simple as possible, uniform and consistent, so they only use "paperlike" pdfs. That's the only reason I can think of... and converting all your epubs to pdfs takes probably 10 minutes with calibre: it could be worse.

Edit: rkomar was faster

Last edited by EmilThelonius; 04-12-2017 at 01:10 PM.
EmilThelonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:08 PM   #665
LarryNYC
Groupie

I guess I agree with everybody else, that this is a professional device that is meant for marking up documents, and not just for reading. That's certainly how I use it. I read novels on my Kindle, and it has a backlight, something I don't think we will be getting in the new model. Is there any mention of a backlight? I have no understanding of Japanese.

I'm just happy we're getting a hardware upgrade. I thought we were at the end of the line.
Advert
Old 04-12-2017, 02:36 PM   #666
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilThelonius View Post
Have you ever annotated an epub with a stylus (rather than just highlighting)? I mean: it is simply not possible to scribble notes into epubs or mobi-files. Sony wants to keep it as simple as possible, uniform and consistent, so they only use "paperlike" pdfs. That's the only reason I can think of... and converting all your epubs to pdfs takes probably 10 minutes with calibre: it could be worse.

Edit: rkomar was faster
apologies, i never meant to imply that sony should allow annotation/mark up of epubs. just allowing it to be viewed would be sufficient. no change from the epub functionality created in the T series readers.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:31 PM   #667
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryNYC View Post
Yes!! Go Sony! Where is the preorder button? Will I be able to buy this in the US?
From what I've read so far it's a Japan only device. Not sure if these means no english interface or they will expand the marketing down the road or not.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:33 AM   #668
xhacker
xhacker began at the beginning.

Device: none
Could someone comment on the CPU? How does it compare to the CPU used in a DPT-S1 or onyx boox max or an iPad ? I have no knowledge of these low power chips. If anyone here does, then I would like to hear your thoughts.
xhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:28 AM   #669
LarryNYC
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
From what I've read so far it's a Japan only device. Not sure if these means no english interface or they will expand the marketing down the road or not.
I hope they don't shut us out for long. After all, if this is a successor to the DPT-S1 then they already have a translated version of the system. That article did mention that people would be able to buy it in a Sony store.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:04 PM   #670
Psykoking
Psykoking began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhacker View Post
Could someone comment on the CPU? How does it compare to the CPU used in a DPT-S1 or onyx boox max or an iPad ? I have no knowledge of these low power chips. If anyone here does, then I would like to hear your thoughts.
I did a little research for you by searching through website and datasheets from nxp, ARM and Marvell and according to what I found ranking would be like this:
  1. Marvell IAP 140 (Sony DPT - RP1)
  2. i.MX6SoloLite (Onyx Boox Max)
  3. i.MX508 (Sony DPT - S1)
This is because i.MX508 and i.MX6Sololite are single core CPUs with a clock rate of 800 MHz to 1 GHz for the i.MX508 and 1GHz for the i.MX6SoloLite.
The Marvell IAP 140 on the other hand is powered by a quad - core ARM Cortex-A53 complex clocked up to 1.2 GHz which is the sucessor to the Cortex-A9 used in the i.MX6SoloLite.
ARM states on their website that the A53 performance is at least equivalent or higher than the A9.

I haven´t found anything about multicore scaling yet but i guess we can at least expect double the performance compared to the i.MX6SL.

Sources:
Psykoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:07 AM   #671
umeshg
Connoisseur
umeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Sony DPTS-1
Sony 13.3" 4GB DPTS1 Digital Paper System now available

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...er_system.html
umeshg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 12:10 PM   #672
LarryNYC
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by umeshg View Post
Sony 13.3" 4GB DPTS1 Digital Paper System now available

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...er_system.html
Gone already? LOL.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:16 AM   #673
Michel de
Michel de began at the beginning.

Device: Sony DPTS1
The new Sony DPT-RP1

Very cool device as is also the DPT-S1. Was there any mention of microSD card slot in the news? I did not notice.
Michel de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:18 AM   #674
LarryNYC
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel de View Post
Very cool device as is also the DPT-S1. Was there any mention of microSD card slot in the news? I did not notice.
I can't believe they would drop the microSD support, that would cripple the device for people with a lot of documents.

Can you see anything here?

http://www.sony.jp/products/catalog/DPT-RP1_1704.pdf

http://www.sony.jp/digital-paper/lp/

I noticed that the stylus now fits into a slotted groove on the side of the RP1. I initially thought that was an SD card slot but it is not.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:49 PM   #675
eli2k
eli2k began at the beginning.

Device: DPT-S1, Nexus 7, iPad Mini 2, iPad 1G
There's a slick trailer on the main page of their new reader, too.

http://www.sony.jp/digital-paper/pro...RP1/index.html
http://www.sony.jp/digital-paper/pro...-RP1/spec.html

No SD slot, I think it'll have 16gb built-in instead. But there's Bluetooth in addition to wifi on the specs page. From the video, it shows the reader interfacing with a desktop app, so you can upload and manage PDFs directly. Also looks like an easier to access thumbnails page to quickly find the page you want. And of course, a higher resolution 1650 × 2200 screen. And I also noticed the screen is flush with the bezel? That will make writing near the edge easier.

Last edited by eli2k; 04-18-2017 at 09:55 PM.
eli2k is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crop, croppdf