Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 04-26-2014, 02:54 AM   #31
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
My take on it is this: if you want backups that can be automatically restored at your request... iDrive is great (I did use it for a while for things like my mac keychain etc). If you want sync, which will occur whenever you make the change on your computer... Dropbox. If you just want an utterly enormous space for storing stuff... Copy and Box.

I use all three. Havent been near Sugarsync in months so was surprised to see the earlier post saying freeloaders have been dropped. Saves me worrying about that then.

I only have ~8GB on Dropbox, I was late to the referral party, but I now have 380GB on Copy and 50GB on Box (special offer for IOS some time ago, they have them regularly). Heaps of space for storing things I want to keep. Oh yes, and I also have 27GB on Onedrive which I rarely use, its more for sharing I guess. Dropbox houses my calibre library, and a few app databases from my mac. Everything else goes to Copy and Box.

I'm not paying for any of this space. Its all free. How lucky can you get, eh?
Interestingly, you're the first person (besides me) to mention iDrive. I thought iDrive looked very slick. A question though--Copy and iDrive sync files too, right? To me it's looking more and more like Copy--lots of space and syncing.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:25 AM   #32
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Gregg,

All the ones we are talking about with any seriousness are free or have free levels. I suggest you just try one and see how it goes. If you do not like it try another.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2014, 12:57 PM   #33
jandrew
Zealot
jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: aura hd
Assess your needs/usage and work from there. Sure, the basic dropbox free account is small compared to some others, but I use dropbox for my cloud synced workspace -- I only have 2.8GB of space there, but it is more than sufficient for my active projects (and then some) and gives the most seamless usage across my platforms/apps. I also have google-drive, bitcasa, copy, and opendrive free accounts for backup/archive purposes.
jandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:10 PM   #34
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Box is very quick. Gives you free 10 GB. Will do Android, everything except Windows Phone Client and Linux.
Linux is supported by DropBox, Wuala, Spideroak and Insync.

This whole market is changing and Box and Dropbox will soon have IPOs.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:34 PM   #35
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Box is very quick. Gives you free 10 GB. Will do Android, everything except Windows Phone Client and Linux.

I'm running Box on my Windows Phone without any problems:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/st...1-d32719ca1cb2
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2014, 01:30 AM   #36
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Gregg,

All the ones we are talking about with any seriousness are free or have free levels. I suggest you just try one and see how it goes. If you do not like it try another.
Yeah, you're right. I certainly have enough info. to make a choice at this point. Thanks.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:33 AM   #37
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrew View Post
Assess your needs/usage and work from there. Sure, the basic dropbox free account is small compared to some others, but I use dropbox for my cloud synced workspace -- I only have 2.8GB of space there, but it is more than sufficient for my active projects (and then some) and gives the most seamless usage across my platforms/apps. I also have google-drive, bitcasa, copy, and opendrive free accounts for backup/archive purposes.
Thanks jandrew. Never thought of breaking it down that way. I really will only have a couple of active files that I'm working on and will want to keep current. I already have Drive and have a ton of stuff dumped there. I do, however, find Drive to be intolerably slow to upload bigger files to. (And love the quote!)
Old 04-27-2014, 01:35 AM   #38
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post

Ahhhh. Thanks frahse. Did not know Box did not do Linux (which is what I have). And good to know the ones that do support Linux. Appreciate that.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:56 AM   #39
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Box may not offer a linux client, but they do offer webDAV so you can connect via their https server.

It is built into nautilus, the default Ubuntu File Browser. Use "Connect to Server", connect to dav.box.com via Secure webDAV, and fill in you Box username and passsword. It will show up like network attached storage and can even be bookmarked for easy connecting.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:08 AM   #40
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Box may not offer a linux client, but they do offer webDAV so you can connect via their https server.

It is built into nautilus, the default Ubuntu File Browser. Use "Connect to Server", connect to dav.box.com via Secure webDAV, and fill in you Box username and passsword. It will show up like network attached storage and can even be bookmarked for easy connecting.
Thanks eschwartz, but you would have to break that down into about ten more steps for that to work for me. (I coudn't find nautilus to start with.)
Old 04-27-2014, 03:56 PM   #41
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
What is very obvious is that all the cloud storage choices are changing so rapidly that it is hard to keep up with them.

Timoleon, I will update my list so that Box shows support for Windows Client.

I am interested in the Box IPO.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:08 PM   #42
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Thanks eschwartz, but you would have to break that down into about ten more steps for that to work for me. (I coudn't find nautilus to start with.)
Nautilus is the name of the file explorer in Gnome (used by Ubuntu's Unity environment too, IIRC)
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:01 AM   #43
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Nautilus is the name of the file explorer in Gnome (used by Ubuntu's Unity environment too, IIRC)
Thx twowheels.