Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-08-2011, 11:53 AM   #61
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by log View Post
Feel like I posted this 10 times on these forums, but the best explanation came form the manufacturers themselves IMHO. Tom's Hardware contacted e-Ink about this when doing their K4 review:

"We called up E Ink Corporation to ask if this was a batch-related issue, and was told that this is most likely due to Amazon choosing a particular grade of display panels. So, while the new Kindle comes at a lower price, the company is probably cutting its costs as well by using a slightly cheaper display."
I thought Pearl *was* the grade, the best one. I find it strange that there are different grades, and that E Ink would admit to it. I guess when the more expensive K4 models come out (the touchscreen ones) we will see if they use a different display or not.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:11 PM   #62
lightforx
Enthusiast
lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
wow, in that manga photo, the screen looks fantastic! Really white background!
eP
hope its not the camera playing tricks. it depends on the light source.

on first hand it looks like it has a bit of a beige-y tinge, but once you get good light (fluorescent, sunlight) it is quite white. i've seen a K3, and the K3 does look a tad whiter. i like this though. it looks more natural than the K3.
lightforx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2011, 12:55 PM   #63
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Feel like I posted this 10 times on these forums, but the best explanation came form the manufacturers themselves IMHO. Tom's Hardware contacted e-Ink about this when doing their K4 review:

"We called up E Ink Corporation to ask if this was a batch-related issue, and was told that this is most likely due to Amazon choosing a particular grade of display panels. So, while the new Kindle comes at a lower price, the company is probably cutting its costs as well by using a slightly cheaper display."
And I feel like I keep reading you citing this everywhere, and hope someone will answer, so here again (Harry T did answer you the same on another thread): this is NOT a reliable source.

MY K4 display is whiter than MY K3 display, and the contrast appears to be stronger, but what this says is that IN MY CASE K4 trumps K3. Others have had other results, so there you go.
Another example: I have had 3 PB 360 in my hands lately. Each of them had a different display, some darker, some lighter, on one the contrast was much stronger, on another one not at all. Same thing with the various Nook ST I looked at in a shop. Not one with the exact same relation display background/contrast as another.
MY K3 Display is darker than my neighbor's K3 Display. Both were ordered and delivered at the same time.
DUH.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:10 PM   #64
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightforx
the manga? i did a cbz to epub conversion in calibre, default settings (having some problems with the pdf conversion, so this was the second one i tried).

the scaling and positioning are perfect.
yes, thanks. It does like perfect impressed with how to it came out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
And I feel like I keep reading you citing this everywhere, and hope someone will answer, so here again (Harry T did answer you the same on another thread): this is NOT a reliable source.
Wasn't looking for an answer, just just trying to educate those who always seem to view Amazon with rose-tinted glasses. And just FYI I've always trusted Tom's Hardware for over at least the ten years or so no reason to change my mind based on Harry T or you, no offense.
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #65
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:

Wasn't looking for an answer, just just trying to educate those who always seem to view Amazon with rose-tinted glasses. And just FYI I've always trusted Tom's Hardware for over at least the ten years or so no reason to change my mind based on Harry T or you, no offense.
Ah!
An "educator".
My own personal favorite.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #66
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
I haven't had the problems (Freezing etc) that others have reported and anything I did have a reset or power re-cycle "fixed" it... there are some software issues like the swipe to change page and the software sometimes crashes other than that it's good
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:38 AM   #67
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
From the first three threads I have read so far tonight it would appear that not all is well with the T1 - Shopaholic and Pomtroll both talking of returning their machines.

So are all of you T1 owners experiencing problems or is it just an isolated few?
Well, I have and have had several mainstream EBRs, including earlier Sonys and what is now the Kindle Keyboard. I prefer the Sonys over the Kindles.

Presently I have a Sony 950 and the T1. I like them both, but I really love the T1, primarily because it is compact. I have mine in the standard Sony T1 case, and it fits into the back pocket of my jeans.

Of course, the OP posted a few months ago, before I got my T1. I gather that there were startup problems, but so far, none for me.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:17 AM   #68
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I really like my T1, and it is easily the best, most refined ereader I own (but for various reasons, not the one I use most). If I were to nitpick, however, there are a few annoyances:

It is allergic to one of the wifi networks I spend a lot of my time in, and will eventually restart if it is allowed to attempt a connection. The network in question publishes an invalid SSL cert as part of login and the T1 cannot handle it (and I cannot do anything about the network). My other wifi devices let me Continue to login after a warning.

I hate how it decorates hyperlinks. What's wrong with underline? Probably a way to change the default style but I have not gotten around to looking for one.

It doesn't crop properly in landscape orientation.

The plastic frame scratches too easily (and I don't like the cover choices)

It doesn't handle B&N DRM.

Google Books integration no longer works.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:38 AM   #69
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
As ever in the forefront of catching threads early.............

" Does anyone like their T1? "

Yes, lots....

[ But still love the heft of my 3+650.... ]
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:45 AM   #70
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
Yeah I like the T1.. had it for about 3 months now... loaded 2000 + books in 80 + collections had a couple of crashes while adding books to collections and a couple of "touch screen" problems but all solved with a soft reset/power recycle, the public library software is great - ditto the Sony store/google etc, I do not use the PC software or calibre to manage library or xfer books I use drag/drop and/or wi-fi (drop box, battery life is ok as long as you don't use a lot of wi-fi. I had a Kindle and a Libre Pro before and the T1 is superior to both
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:34 AM   #71
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I like mine I've read lots on it but I did think I made a huge mistake just after buying it, I had two crashes early on that nearly had me returning it strangely I haven't had any since.

The one unforgiveable flaw is definitely the gloss bezel I'll never understand why they did that it's probably cost them way more sales than any money they saved doing it.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #72
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Love the T1.

Only wish there was a fix for the problem with multiple page advances whether swiping or using the buttons.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #73
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I bought another T1 once the firmware updates came out. I love reading on my T1. I'm not as fond of the case that came with it though. I like how it sets in the case but wish it didn't have the ledge around it. I find that uncomfortable to hold. I find the Kindle Touch's case much easier to hold.

But for reading pleasure the T1 is
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:25 PM   #74
pshute
Enthusiast
pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
Love the T1.

Only wish there was a fix for the problem with multiple page advances whether swiping or using the buttons.
Didn't the firmware update fix that? I think I might have seen the problem only once since I updated it.
pshute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #75
pshute
Enthusiast
pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pshute can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I really like my T1, and it is easily the best, most refined ereader I own ...
It is? I was suprised how unsophisticated it is at letting me organise my books, but if the others are no better then I think the industry needs to develop a bit.

And it seems odd to me that it has a built in web browser, but I can't just load html files onto it.

It does work though, no regrets, just wish it was better at some things.
pshute is offline   Reply With Quote