Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #16
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieterpops View Post
One comment, the more I use the Sony cover, the more I like it. It's very light and minimalist. Some covers are heavy and get in the way, this one doesn't. The reader snaps into the cover and it provides, in my opinion, the best protection to date compared to past Sony covers.
I also got the regular (no light) official Sony case and while at $35 I think it's too expensive -- I also really like the fact that it fits like a glove and doesn't take much away from the device's slim profile/weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopaholic
Log - how are you putting the books on the reader through USB and how many are we talking about? Specifically what file folder are you putting them into? Are you making collections on the Reader itself? Are you finding it crashing at all?
I haven't tried anything with collections yet. The way I added them was simply plugging in the device into my Mac via USB, and then pressing the "data transfer" button on the T1. Once you do this, the volume is accessible as a USB volume, so I simply drag and dropped .epub's to the download folder directly on the internal memory. Apparently you can put them anywhere on the volume, and even use sub folders. I have not tried adding hundreds of books as you have, but only a handful (less than 10) for now.

I have noticed that after you disconnect the USB you need to allow the reader some time to process the files since it reads the metadata, covers, etc of the new files you transfered, and they get added to the T1's library (database). Maybe you've been trying it too quickly after disconnecting USB and you should let the reader finish it's processing before trying to setup the collections on the device?

Last edited by log; 10-06-2011 at 04:22 PM.
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:21 PM   #17
trevgriff
Zealot
trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini - Main Reader (iPad 3 backup, iPhone 4s back to my backup)
of all the e-ink readers i have had I like this one the best. (Sony 500, 505, 900 and 950. B&N Nook 1 and Nook Touch.)

Light weight, great screen, easier to navigate, light cover fits and feels great, library feature awesome, browser cool.

The only negative is with the Sony Software for the Mac to call it crap is being generous. (I hear the PC version is poor as well)
trevgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2011, 08:20 PM   #18
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
I haven't really had a chance to play with mine yet, but I love the size, (lack of) weight and the available Amasis font. I'm not noticing glare from the shiny black case, but it sure seems to be a lint magnet.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:37 PM   #19
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
I'm not noticing glare from the shiny black case, but it sure seems to be a lint magnet.
Yep I noticed the lint on the black. Dog hair doesn't help.

I've got mine running to where I'm happy with it. I've never been big on holding onto books so I don't have a large library to worry about.

I need to play around with the New Sony Software Library though. I just wish there was a way to remove books from it. But like I said I need ot work around with it for awhile.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:53 PM   #20
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
I need to play around with the New Sony Software Library though. I just wish there was a way to remove books from it. But like I said I need ot work around with it for awhile.

You can't remove the books from the software. It says it right in the manual you can't remove purchased content. You can't remove it from the software on the PC or on the Reader. That's part of my frustration with syncing the thing & using it with the software.

I'm managing manual so far. Fingers crossed but so far so good.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #21
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
I haven't really had a chance to play with mine yet, but I love the size, (lack of) weight and the available Amasis font. I'm not noticing glare from the shiny black case, but it sure seems to be a lint magnet.
Amasis is my favorite so far as well, really nice serif font, looks great on this device.

Does anyone know exactly what the "Original" font is? Is that the font that's embedded in the epub, or is this a font from previous Sony e-readers?
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:44 PM   #22
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
You can't remove the books from the software. It says it right in the manual you can't remove purchased content. You can't remove it from the software on the PC or on the Reader. That's part of my frustration with syncing the thing & using it with the software.

I'm managing manual so far. Fingers crossed but so far so good.
Well then I guess the software is going to become quite bloated in time. Dumb dumb dumb. What were they thinking?...Oh they weren't.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:53 PM   #23
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Well then I guess the software is going to become quite bloated in time. Dumb dumb dumb. What were they thinking?...Oh they weren't.
That's my complaint. I've been purchasing from the Sony bookstore for nearly 5 years. I have hundreds of books now showing in my library. I don't want to see all of these books, especially the ancient free ones. They need a delete option or an archive vs home screen like the Kindle software. Of course, the new software eliminated ordering items by number and doesn't tell you anymore how many total books you have in your library which is also annoying.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:36 AM   #24
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
A PRS-T1 arrived on our doorstep this morning ... and was given to my husband tonight as an early anniversary present. So far he seems VERY pleased! It is considerably smaller and lighter than his original Nook.

Me, I've gotten to play with it a bit and frankly, I'm impressed as well. I want one. My only caveat is that there is no specific T-1 driver for Calibre yet and tags to collections is also not implemented for the T-1 *yet*. But I have every faith that the Calibre folks will fix this in time. They do already have a generic driver in a beta version.

The screen is VERY nice, better than my Sony 950, with more contrast. Text appears very sharp and black and comparing original font T-1 vs original font 950, the T-1 is much easier to read. I did check through all the fonts, but I'm more than happy with the original font. Amasis is also nice, as I am also used to that from my Nook.

It should be mentioned that the user guide says that italics and bold may not appear properly in fonts other than the original font, I haven't tested that. It is, after all, my husband's new reader, not mine.

The pinch/zoom things works, the interface is different from my 950, but not difficult to learn. The touch keyboard is WAY more responsive, something I really like! I think the page turns are slightly faster. Overall, the unit seems very responsive, but then again, it is not crammed full of books like my 950 is.

I *free* all my books, so I never used the old Sony Reader Library software with my 950 and probably wouldn't use the new Sony software with the T-1 either. I'm happy enough with Calibre and Windows Explorer for my book transfer needs.

My Sony 950 is not going anyplace though, I just want a T-1 for out and about town and for proofreading epubs. I still love my 7" screen. And I'm happy not to have a shiny bezel, though that could be fixed with a skin. But I am now a little jealous of hubby! The T-1 is NICE!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:53 AM   #25
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
So you see differences in screen quality? That is great news - I was thinking of buying a T1, but couldn't find the right excuse to buy a fourth SONY.

Can anyone else confirm? I don't doubt graycyn noted differences - but I know that screen quality is very noisy. I have seen different 950s side-by-side with very different screens. So I wonder if the T1 truly has a better screen or if that was just 'luck of the draw'.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:20 AM   #26
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
From reading all the above it would appear that you are all happy with the hardware side of things, lighter, better screen etc. but it seems a few are being hampered by the new software.
I presume this has been answered elsewhere but can you not use the T1 with the old Sony Reader Library software?

Anyway good luck, and I'm sure the good folks at Calibre will soon be up to speed with the new device.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:24 AM   #27
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
So you see differences in screen quality? That is great news - I was thinking of buying a T1, but couldn't find the right excuse to buy a fourth SONY.
Yes, very noticeably! I wasn't expecting that, but as I say, it's enough to make me a bit jealous. The background is more a cream color than gray and the text seems darker. The whole screen look is brighter and with more contrast when I put the devices side by side. When you've got 50+ year old eyes, this is a good thing.

Quote:
Can anyone else confirm? I don't doubt graycyn noted differences - but I know that screen quality is very noisy. I have seen different 950s side-by-side with very different screens. So I wonder if the T1 truly has a better screen or if that was just 'luck of the draw'.
I know I saw some other posts that noted the difference, but you are correct, it could simply be that *my* 950 has a less than optimal screen, given manufacturing differences. As you say, luck of the draw can certainly figure in. I was happy enough with the 950 contrast until I saw the T-1 though!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:32 AM   #28
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Hm, better screen than on x50 is rather unexpected.
Could you make some comparison photos please?
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:34 AM   #29
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Unhappy Seriously ??

Quote:
Is this so ?
You really can't delete books from the device ?
You're stuck with them for ever ?

Bloody hell, you'ld be up to a thousand fairly swiftly, including quite a few you downloaded out of curiosity, which I'm a sucker for .........

That is DAFT....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:41 AM   #30
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Is this so ?
You really can't delete books from the device ?
You're stuck with them for ever ?
They're referring to purchased content through Sony Store and the books are in their PC software not permanently on the device. I am sure you can download and read any of these purchased books via the Purchased Content area on the device anytime you want to.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote