Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-17-2010, 03:07 AM   #1
Roger Manley
Roger Manley began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 650
SYNC

New to all this, can you please explain what "Sync" is supposed to do?

I think I have a problem as my machine is constantly syncing. When I consult "Status" it is shown as syncing and continues to do so as long as I am connected to my PC. This stops any new books being transferred.

Help, what am I doing wrong?
Roger Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:43 AM   #2
Under the Covers
Night Reader
Under the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS-650
Are you using the Sony Reader software on your computer, and is this how you are connecting and downloading books to your reader? I believe it is automatically set to synchronize with the reader upon any connection. I suppose it would depend on how many books, etc. you have in that software as to how long it would take.

Rather than using the Sony reader software on my PC, I use the free Calibre (donations welcome), which is a much better program and allows you to control this sort of thing (mine is set to manual), as well as much more powerful features for maintaining a library. I would suggest that you consider using it; you don't have to use Sony's computer reader software to transfer books to your reader.

I haven't had my 650 for very long, but I hung around these forums for a while before I got it and set up Calibre so that it was ready to go when my PRS-650 arrived, so I've never even used the Sony reader software with my device. Thus, I have no experience with what you're talking about, and should perhaps just shut up and wait for someone familiar with the Sony PC software to show up....

Last edited by Under the Covers; 11-17-2010 at 03:50 AM.
Under the Covers is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2010, 06:47 AM   #3
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Every time you make a change to your Library (adding or moving books, for example), the sync feature will think you're changing something that needs sync'd to the Reader. Almost every change will generate a separate sync operation.

I usually make all of my library changes before connecting the Reader. That way I only get one sync after I have my books moved into the categories I want them in.

Hope that helps.

ETA: I'm not a big Calibre fan, though it's something of a sacred cow around here. Use whatever tool works for you.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:27 PM   #4
Under the Covers
Night Reader
Under the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I'm not a big Calibre fan, though it's something of a sacred cow around here. Use whatever tool works for you.
Precisely. I certainly didn't mean to imply that the OP should not look at other library software, as well; I am familiar with Calibre, and MR has a forum here dedicated to Calibre users, so it's a pretty good resource.

I would simply encourage using library software that is more capable and flexible than the ultra-basic offering by Sony, which I use only when purchasing something from the Sony Store, after which I move it over to Calibre.
Under the Covers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:31 PM   #5
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I had a problem like this too. I think maybe it was stuck trying to transfer a corrupt file. I had to turn off the sync feature, I haven't tried it again.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2010, 02:09 AM   #6
Roger Manley
Roger Manley began at the beginning.

eP,

How do I turn off the sync? I have been unable to find a way of doing so.

Roger
Roger Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:17 AM   #7
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't think you can turn off sync. If you can, I'd love to know how.

If your Sony Library software is syncing constantly (and it's not because you're making changes to the books in the library), try this. Turn off the auto-launch feature (in sony library preferences). Then connect the Reader. Use Windows Explorer to look at the Reader's file system. Find the Cache folder and delete media.xml. Disconnect the reader and let it start up. After start up is complete, try connecting the reader and launch the Sony Library software.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:10 AM   #8
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can definitely turn off the sync, because I did it, but I don't remember how. I think you can only see the option while the reader is connected. Sadly, I can't do it right now because my reader is sitting a bowl of rice for a few days (but that's another post.)

Here is another post about it, try this:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61588

eP
Old 11-18-2010, 08:09 PM   #9
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
You can definitely turn off the sync, because I did it, but I don't remember how. I think you can only see the option while the reader is connected. Sadly, I can't do it right now because my reader is sitting a bowl of rice for a few days (but that's another post.)

Here is another post about it, try this:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61588

eP
Technically that doesn't turn off sync, that takes everything that had previously been sync'd off the reader.

Sorry about your water incident btw.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:42 AM   #10
elemenoP
Wizard

Yes, it will take off everything that had previously been sync'd, but after that it won't auto-sync any more, you can drag things from library to reader.

eP
Old 11-19-2010, 09:36 AM   #11
Merbear
Enthusiast
Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.Merbear put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PRS-600 & Kobo & PRS-650, iTouch and iPad2
I've had nothing but trouble with the sony software. I can't even do the update that it recommends any time I open it - my machine (Vista) just won't complete it for some reason. When I got my 650 I just automatically used Calibre.
Merbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:22 PM   #12
hatzyian
hatzyian began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merbear View Post
I've had nothing but trouble with the sony software. I can't even do the update that it recommends any time I open it - my machine (Vista) just won't complete it for some reason. When I got my 650 I just automatically used Calibre.
Using Calibre, how do you deal with music? With the Sony software music sync'ed ok, but its still hanging up on books, so I am thinking about using Calibre.

Ian
hatzyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:28 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Don't use auto-sync in Reader Library. Just manage it all manually. It's a lot easier and works better. Plus, it does give you better control. Also, you don't need to add your eBooks to Reader Library. They can live wherever you put them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:30 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merbear View Post
Something is botched in your Vista install. I suggest an upgrade to Windows 7.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:32 AM   #15
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
You can turn it off. You uncheck the Sync box in the proper folder. I am not near a computer that has the Reader software, and IIRC you need the Reader connected to turn it off.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote