Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-26-2011, 03:19 PM   #1
dwatransit
dwatransit began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
PE replacement power adaptor?

I recently moved and the movers either packed my PE's power adaptor in an inscrutable place or it got tossed in the junk heap.

Does anyone know of a source for a replacement? I can't do a search of the forums with the tablet I am using--the browser goes bananas on the search drop down.

Thanks
dwatransit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:26 PM   #2
attemptress
Enthusiast
attemptress began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage PE
There are a couple of readily available replacements. In general, make sure that whatever adapter you get is, or can be set to, 12v. It will also need to be rated to at least 1000mAh.

At Radioshack, you can get the enercell AC/DC adapter-the "H" tip fits the Edge.

At Amazon, you can get the Hosa universal adapter. One of the included tips fits the edge. I like this one 'cuz the prongs fold flat for easy transport.

You could also use an Energizer netbook (or laptop) backup battery (It's an external battery. I think the model number is something like XP800 . . . I don't recall just now). One of the included tips in the one I purchased fits the Edge. You can get replacement tips if the package you buy doesn't include one that fits. Mine's at home, so I can't check it right now to get the number.

If you've got a do-it-yourself disposition, you could get a tip that fits from an on-line electronic supply, and attach it to any suitable (12v, 1000+ mAh) AC/DC adapter. Just make sure you get the polarity right.

Hope this helps.
attemptress is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2011, 04:36 PM   #3
jamina1
Connoisseur
jamina1 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket eDGe
I'm also in the market for an additional adapter for work (since the battery life on these things is absolutely wretched). I just purchased one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300566834924...84.m1439.l2649

And will report back. Seems like a decent price.

Last edited by jamina1; 09-26-2011 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Add link to ebay
jamina1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
attemptress
Enthusiast
attemptress began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage PE
I just looked up an old invoice from Jameco electronics that I had. These two plugs fit the Edge.

1537395 PLUG,DC,PWR,F,1.3X3.5mm,R.A.
71192 PLUG,DC,PWR,FEM,1.3x3.5X9.5MM

Translation: Yes, it's a 3.5 mm barrell tip
attemptress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:21 PM   #5
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamina1 View Post
I'm also in the market for an additional adapter for work (since the battery life on these things is absolutely wretched). I just purchased one of these:

According to the specs on that site you should have no trouble with it - it even has the correct plug.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 03:45 PM   #6
cur8tor
cur8tor began at the beginning.

Device: entourage pocket edge
Here's another place to buy it - verified the specifications on my PE adaptor:
DVE Switching Adapter
Model DSA-12G-12FUS 120120
Input 100-240V ~ 50/60 Hz 0.3Amp
Output +12V ---1A
Level 3
Positive on the inside, negative on the outside shaft
Sold here for $9.50

http://www.dynamictradingco.net/DSA_...dsa-12g-12.htm
cur8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:09 AM   #7
jclmaster
jclmaster began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by cur8tor View Post
Here's another place to buy it - verified the specifications on my PE adaptor:
DVE Switching Adapter
Model DSA-12G-12FUS 120120
Input 100-240V ~ 50/60 Hz 0.3Amp
Output +12V ---1A
Level 3
Positive on the inside, negative on the outside shaft
Sold here for $9.50

http://www.dynamictradingco.net/DSA_...dsa-12g-12.htm
Unless I did something wrong they want a minimum order of $100.
jclmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:53 AM   #8
gregounours
Enthusiast
gregounours began at the beginning.

Quote:
Renaming phone.apk and telephonyprovider.apk really helps with battery live. I can last an entire day on a charge and I stream radio on mine
gregounours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:12 PM   #9
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nooks GL3, ST w/GL, Color, HD+; Kindles Voyage & Paperwhite; PE, EE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregounours View Post
Renaming phone.apk and telephonyprovider.apk really helps with battery live. I can last an entire day on a charge and I stream radio on mine
Are you running Dingo or Ermine?

[Sorry, this got off topic for the thread]

Last edited by glow; 09-30-2011 at 02:14 PM.
glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:22 PM   #10
dwatransit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
According to the specs on that site you should have no trouble with it - it even has the correct plug.
Nope. I ordered the one from the eBay link and it definitely does NOT work.

The pin doesn't slide in all the way--there's some metal showing, so i think it's too long. At any rate, it doesn't charge the PE.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:23 PM   #11
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatransit View Post
Nope. I ordered the one from the eBay link and it definitely does NOT work.

The pin doesn't slide in all the way--there's some metal showing, so i think it's too long. At any rate, it doesn't charge the PE.
The length of the metal barrel should be 9.5 mm for the PE. It sounds as if it has a 10 mm long barrel - which is standard, all you need to do is fit a bit of sleeving over it if you don't like seeing bare metal.

Now I have to ask the obvious question - two actually, first you did plug it into the power socket and not the headphone socket - I think nearly all of us has made that mistake and second, have you checked that it does give 12v at the plug (barrel = negative, hole = positive).

Rectifying the first is obvious and if there is no voltage then the unit is faulty and should be returned.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:08 PM   #12
AmericanDane
AmericanDane began at the beginning.

Dimensions of power plug on Pocket Edge

Quote:

I'm pretty sure those will work fine, but the actual dimensions on the Pocket Edge power adapter are slightly different. I do think the H tip will work, but my actual tip OD is 3.2mm and the ID is 1.3 - although the actual pin is much smaller. My concern with that extra OD is twofold. First, will it cause the jack to loosen over time and, second, will that extra diameter (around 8 thousandths) keep the tip from proper contact inside the barrel.

Unfortunately the only 3.2 mm OD plug I can find has too narrow an ID.

Has anyone tried to sand off a few thous of diameter off the the H plug?
AmericanDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #13
dwatransit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
The length of the metal barrel should be 9.5 mm for the PE. It sounds as if it has a 10 mm long barrel - which is standard, all you need to do is fit a bit of sleeving over it if you don't like seeing bare metal.

Now I have to ask the obvious question - two actually, first you did plug it into the power socket and not the headphone socket - I think nearly all of us has made that mistake and second, have you checked that it does give 12v at the plug (barrel = negative, hole = positive).

Rectifying the first is obvious and if there is no voltage then the unit is faulty and should be returned.
Haha. No, I didn't plug it into the headphone socket (this time, anyway...)

I used to have a meter to test these things but it is probably wherever the original power cord is... It might be defective but for 8 bucks it's too much trouble to return.

I bought the Hosa from Amazon and it is working fine.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:12 PM   #14
stanny
stanny began at the beginning.

Device: edge
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Orig...-/320769149828
stanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:11 PM   #15
ivanjt
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatransit View Post
Haha. No, I didn't plug it into the headphone socket (this time, anyway...)

I used to have a meter to test these things but it is probably wherever the original power cord is... It might be defective but for 8 bucks it's too much trouble to return.

I bought the Hosa from Amazon and it is working fine.
Glad you got something to charge your unit.

I know the problem with meters, at work we have dozens of them and I have at least three here at home but can I find one when I want it - no.