Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats

Notices

Old 04-20-2011, 04:32 PM   #1
frangelica
frangelica began at the beginning.

Device: nook, palm pre
Well, I knew it would catch up to me...

My first ereader came to me while I was working for RCA, and they introduced a b/w and a color reader in 1999-2000. Then I started reading on my Compaq Ipaq, moved to a Palm, then Palm phones and now I've got a rooted Nook.

All this means that I've bought a zillion books, in a myriad of formats, and the only ones that I can't seem to convert are my old Microsoft Reader .lit files. I need my PassPort login info from ten years ago for the conversion tool to work, and heck...I can't even remember where I parked my car twenty minutes ago. I rarely used my Passport account, and it's completely escaped me. I remember that it had something to do with Eddie Izzard..... Yet the .lit files with the security DRM5 get transferred from computer to computer, unopened, taunting me.

It's so obvious that Microsoft has given up on Reader. The site pages are outdated (and don't even mention the existence of Windows 7). I doubt I'll ever get any help from their site.

Is there any help here for .lit DRM-stripping without the account info for the key?
frangelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I think ConvertLit works without the key. (Have not checked; I remember one nightmarish attempt to get set up to deal with DRM'd lit files before deciding that if they require me to use Internet Explorer, I don't need to buy from them.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2011, 10:08 AM   #3
frangelica

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, the version of ConvertLit that I found requires a credit card number....and I'm even less likely to remember that that my Passport ID.

Admittedly, I downloaded the latest edition with a GUI. I am no good with command line programs.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #4
frangelica

anyone have any ideas?
Old 04-25-2011, 07:44 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If a DRM stripping program asks for a credit card number, it is probably for eReader or B&N ePub (which both use a credit card number as password). A search for convertlit GUI usually locates a good link in the first few options.

It is a general rule for DRM circumvention that it only works on your own ebooks and only if you can open them with the official reader app. So at a minimum you need your passport credentials. If you can remember your login name (email address), you can probably get the password. If not, as a last resort, try calling microsoft to see if they can help. I don't know if convertlit works with Windows 7, so you might have to find a Windows XP computer to get the needed password keys.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2011, 09:31 AM   #6
frangelica

Thanks! I appreciate the reply. I've just about resigned myself to re-buying those books for my library. That email was two cities and ten years ago....so I think I'll try calling the evil empire for suggestions. I'm not sure they're supporting the format any more...the website is certainly dead in the water as far as updates.

But again, thank you.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #7
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
AFAIK, convertLit is the only drm stripping tool available for lit files and it doesn't ask for a cc# as those weren't attached to the purchase. You need to have copy of Microsoft Reader installed and properly activated using the Passport ID you used for your original purchase.

I'm in the same exact boat. I posted a similar question a few months ago and didn't get the first response.

AFAIK there are no known tools that will allow someone to strip the drm from a lit file without having access to the purchaser's Passport ID. Without that you are good and truly screwed and I can almost guarantee that Microsoft will do nothing for you without some sort of proof of purchase.

I'm sorry for your bad luck.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote