Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-02-2011, 01:04 PM   #1
mpeg2
Connoisseur
mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
How do updates get "pushed" to a Nook Color?

I have a Nook Color, recently rooted (1st updated to 1.0.1). If an update comes out, how does it get "pushed" to the device??? Reason for asking is that I like it in the current rooted state & don't want to find some update automagically appearing on it. If it makes any difference, I never intend to visit the B&N site or search for books with it...

Rich
mpeg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Being rooted and having automatic updates disabled does not affect your ability to "Shop". If you "Shop" you do not trigger an automatic update. I've had automatic updates disabled since Dec. 17th. I'm still on 1.0.0. I "Shop" several times a week with no issues.

You can disable automatic updates by renaming a certain file:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5&postcount=17

You can use Root Explorer if you don't want to use ADB.

If you decide you want the update, you can do a factory reset, update, then re-root.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
Scion, can you explain this in a bit more detail....

I don't have root explorer, perhaps I should, and pay for Titanium as well.....

How would I go about using ADB to do this?

I don't want to get updated unexpectedly......and lose my root...
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:24 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Scion, can you explain this in a bit more detail....

I don't have root explorer, perhaps I should, and pay for Titanium as well.....

How would I go about using ADB to do this?

I don't want to get updated unexpectedly......and lose my root...
This is how to enable ADB.

http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_USB_ADB

If you wish to pay for Root Explorer you can use that app to rename the file. A regular file explorer will not work because you need to change permissions.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:36 PM   #5
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Yeah..........I've already succesfully enabled ADB...,

What I meant was how do I change the file name as indicated in the stop auto update..........I assume something like this (but like to be sure before doing anything)

1) connect usb
2) go to media folder in nc
3) Start/cmd...
4) change what is detailed...,
?????
I'm really not clear on how to change the file using ABD
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:

What I meant was how do I change the file name as indicated in the stop auto update..........I assume something like this (but like to be sure before doing anything)

1) connect usb
3) Start/cmd...
?????

Connect via USB

Within terminal or whatever you use for command line stuff...

change directory (from command line) to where ADB is....

Paste this:

adb shell mount -o rw,remount -t ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system

Hit Enter

Paste this:

adb shell mv /etc/security/otacerts.zip /etc/security/otacerts.zip_DISABLED_OTA_UPDATES

Hit Enter

adb reboot

*If you get ADB command not found, then you need to use ./ADB instead of just ADB for the commands.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:

1) connect usb
3) Start/cmd...
?????
How's it going?
Old 01-02-2011, 03:23 PM   #8
The Joker
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
How's it going?

Just got back to my computer.....gonna connect the nook....

Not sure if I'm clear though....

Not sure where the ADB folder is....or how to get there
Old 01-02-2011, 04:07 PM   #9
The Joker
Addict

Haven't figured out where ADB is .....

I'm not great at using the commands.....I know cd, dir and really basic stuff, but not sure about find....
I'm assuming I need to get into my F drive.....just not getting there....

Maybe I should just get root explorer.....maybe easier
Old 01-02-2011, 04:11 PM   #10
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Haven't figured out where ADB is .....

I'm not great at using the commands.....I know cd, dir and really basic stuff, but not sure about find....
I'm assuming I need to get into my F drive.....just not getting there....

Maybe I should just get root explorer.....maybe easier
Yes, you use CD to change directory.

Find out where ADB is using your file explorer (outside of the command line).

Mine is in:

/directoryname/directoryname/directoryname/android-sdk-mac_x86/tools

I would change directory like this:

cd /directoryname/directoryname/directoryname/android-sdk-mac_x86/tools

then I would confirm I'm in that directory:

pwd

after that is confirmed I would enter my ADB commands at the prompt
Old 01-02-2011, 04:57 PM   #11
mpeg2
Connoisseur
mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mpeg2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Scion: Thanks - took me a while to get ADB working (couldn't get it to work using USB, but ADB wireless from the Market worked fine).

Followed your steps - should have the updates blocked now.

Rich
mpeg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:01 PM   #12
SCION
Séduisant

That's great Rich! Perhaps others will obtain ADB Wireless from Market as well.

Hint. Hint.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:10 PM   #13
The Joker
Addict

Whew......Thank you once again Scion......why you're not a moderator or whatever the highest honor achievable on this site is......is beyond me....

You are absolutely the most helpful person I've found on any site or forum that I've ever been part of......