Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-29-2010, 03:13 AM   #31
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
Who knows -- statistics can be made to prove anything. I do know that my friend Margie died of lung cancer 5 years ago after living for years with a heavy smoker (her husband.) Margie never smoked.
I had a friend die of lung cancer, who never smoked... No-one in her family smoked.. She was only 50 years old.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:19 AM   #32
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
"Beware of Mashed Potatoes!" Fact - 97% of all convicted criminals regularly eat mashed potatoes in prison! 86% of them are repeat offenders. Do you really need more proof than that!

Stitchawl
Statistics can be made any way you like them to be... I worked with Alzheimers patients for many years, and talking to their family only 1% of them ever smoked... In fact these people were highly educated, such as teachers, professors, doctors etc..

So... I was beginning to think, that the more education you have, the more risk you have of getting Alzheimers...

Obviously.. that's wrong...
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 06:03 AM   #33
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
"Beware of Mashed Potatoes!" Fact - 97% of all convicted criminals regularly eat mashed potatoes in prison! 86% of them are repeat offenders. Do you really need more proof than that!

Stitchawl
I knew it! I just knew it! It's the POTATOES!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:22 AM   #34
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
I know -- it is SO true that you can find statistics, or a good example, to back up any position you wish to take.

Having said that, I knew mashed potatoes were bad news. They are just too tasty to be anything but evil.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:28 PM   #35
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
I know -- it is SO true that you can find statistics, or a good example, to back up any position you wish to take.

Having said that, I knew mashed potatoes were bad news. They are just too tasty to be anything but evil.

I'm part of the 11.67% of the people who don't like mashed potatoes.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 07:37 PM   #36
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I'd rather be an Alzheimers patient than an Alzheimers patient's caregiver. After all Alzheimers patients are generally happy because they don't know any better. Their caregivers have to go through hell every day right up until the end.

God bless them!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:57 PM   #37
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I'd rather be an Alzheimers patient than an Alzheimers patient's caregiver. After all Alzheimers patients are generally happy because they don't know any better. Their caregivers have to go through hell every day right up until the end.

God bless them!
For years I visited and helped a close friend of mine with brain damage who was in a nursing home full of people with Alzheimers. I have to say those people were not happy at all. They were confused, frightened and often convinced people were trying to hurt them. I can't imagine anything worse than living in a totally "alien" world full of faces you can't recognise and situations you can't deal with - must be like being dumped on alien planet where nothing makes sense. Some people seem to just get forgetful, but a lot get very deluded and terrified.
Luckily Alzheimers doesn't seem to occur in my family, eccentric yes, but well able to outwit most (we never got away with much with my grandparents!)
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:55 AM   #38
lene1949
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post

God bless them!
Yes! Most of them are happy... They go through 'stages' - angry, crying, singing etc... Their families are the ones who suffer.. They're devastated, when their family member can't remember them. The nurses spend a lot of time reassuring the family, that their 'loved one' is actually happy...