Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-17-2024, 09:11 PM   #1
sattahipchris
sattahipchris began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Books will not merge or delete since last update to version 7

Since the the last update to version 7 of Calibre I can not merge or delete older versions of a book. I get an access is denied note.
I am windows 11 pro and it is up to date. I have checked the individual book files and they are not marked read only. Copy of response below.

calibre, version 7.2.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>PermissionError</b>:[WinError 5] Access is denied: 'D:\\Calibre Library\\Ray Nayler\\The Mountain in the Sea (60269)\\cover.jpg'

calibre 7.2 embedded-python: True
Windows-10-10.0.22000-SP0 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.22000')
Python 3.11.5
Windows: ('10', '10.0.22000', 'SP0', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Barnes & Noble (1, 5, 2) && Fantastic Fiction (1, 6, 4) && FictionDB (1, 4, 1) && Goodreads (1, 7, 9) && Resize Cover (1, 2, 0)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\actions\edit_metadata.py", line 678, in merge_books
File "calibre\gui2\actions\edit_metadata.py", line 731, in delete_books_after_merge
File "calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 465, in delete_books_by_id
File "calibre\db\cache.py", line 88, in call_func_with_lock
File "calibre\db\cache.py", line 2221, in remove_books
File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 2277, in remove_books
File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 2164, in move_book_to_trash
File "calibre\utils\copy_files.py", line 281, in copy_tree
File "calibre\utils\copy_files.py", line 136, in __enter__
File "calibre\utils\copy_files.py", line 130, in open_all_handles
File "calibre\utils\copy_files.py", line 112, in _open_file
PermissionError: [WinError 5] Access is denied: 'D:\\Calibre Library\\Ray Nayler\\The Mountain in the Sea (60269)\\cover.jpg'
sattahipchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 09:44 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
See https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...n-denied-error
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 08:56 PM   #3
sattahipchris

I have already checked this out, the files are not marked read only, I am the only user, the files are not open in any other program and the root directory is nowhere near full. This problem has only occurred since the transition from 6 to 7. I have removed the program via Revouninstaller and reinstalled it twice, I have also run the the program and stored library through Eset Nod anti virus checker producing no evidence of infection.
I am loathe to remove the program and instal V6 as the last time I did that (V4 to V3) i couln't access my books.
I have also tried running the program as administrator by right clicking on the ikon but when I do this I can not drag and drop books onto the open program I just get a red circle with a line through it.
Old 01-18-2024, 09:08 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That's clearly a permission denied error. So someting on your computer is preventing calibre from accessing its files.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 09:12 PM   #5
sattahipchris

This morning I was further investigating and both versions the books I tried to merge disappeared from the main window when you view a author it appeared that they had been deleted. On investigation I found both versions still in the calibre library book files and was able to restore one and the delete the other accessing them through the library.
Old 01-18-2024, 09:59 PM   #6
sattahipchris

It seems to be all the books I've saved in Version 6 that are affected I tried to add metadata to a book I got the same access denied then when I checked the book had disappeared from the calibre program but was still in the calibre library.
Old 01-18-2024, 11:07 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@sattahipchris - There are over a million active users of calibre 7, most of whom would have upgraded from version 6, and 80% of them use Windows 10 or 11.

Almost all problems of this nature are either due to:
  • third party programs running in the background (e.g. anti-virus, disk cleaners, file manager enhancers/replacements etc);
  • users using their file manager to add/change/remove directories and/or files from the library… which is a calibre no no. There is no reason why you should need to do that, and a dozen reasons why you should avoid doing it.
If you can establish a repeatable set of steps to generate the issue, try running on Windows Safe mode.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 03:40 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Another cause is the Library is ON a NAS or in a folder with Active sync.

The FAQ says DON'T. Others say... I do this all the time....
Those work until they don't
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre