Notices

Old 11-13-2023, 05:38 AM   #1
mitch13
Groupie
mitch13 began at the beginning.

Device: Appraising the market
Major problem with my Calibre database

Hi,
Last week I went to load Calibre Portable (which I have been running for years) and came up with an error I had never seen before. I am running on a Lenovo Idea Pad 3 using Windows 11 Home latest version and Calibre 6.29.0. Calibre on this Lenovo has had no problem for months. Not only it would not start but then I found that it had 'emptied' three of my 'sub' libraries (I have split my Calibre library into around 12 libraries based on major categories eg History, Magazines etc.
After panicking, I went to my backup for all my libraries and rebuilt them on a new 4TB portable hard drive. Calibre 6.29.0 loaded with no problem opening my main Calibre library. Where I now have the problem is getting to my other 10 'sub' libraries (which are in their usual folder with the Calibre library).
In the past to go to another library there was an option to 'quick select' a choice of any of them. I do not have this option now, only:
"Your Calibre library is currently located at D:\Calibre\Calibre Portable\Cooking Library
New location (area to enter location)
Note that putting the calibre library on a Networked drive is not safe.
1. Use a previously existing library at the chosen new location
2. Create an empty library at the new location option: copy structure from the current library
3. Move the current library to the new location

I cannot seem to get any of these options to work.
Any suggestions to get me back to normal would be great.

I have attached the error messages that came when I tried loading my original Calibre.
Attached Files
File Type: docx 2023 11 13 Calibre Error.docx (796.1 KB, 40 views)
mitch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 05:48 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
What does you cannot get them to work mean? What happens when you enter a location and choose use previously existing library at this location?

And that error means a file in your calibre installation folder was corrupted.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 08:34 AM   #3
mitch13
Groupie
mitch13 began at the beginning.

Device: Appraising the market
Problem with Calibre database

Hi Kovid,
Yes, you were correct. I was just about to get back to Mobilread. I finally found a corruption via Windows Terminal (DOS) and seems to have recovered. It is working now on my original 4TB portable drive. Many thanks for your prompt reply. I had spent many days trying to solve this problem hence my request for help but finally that extra stretch in the last few hours finally solved it proving you were correct about corruption.

Regards

mitch13
mitch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 02:10 AM   #4
tariqnajmi
tariqnajmi began at the beginning.

Device: None
Hi Kovidgoyal,

We have been using Caliber since 2018 and it was working fine. We have a total collection of 92,000. Now when we need to get the backup then faced an error which shows the space issue, which is actually not.

Can you send me the proper procedure of the backup of the data, so that we may follow and fix the issue.

Will be thankful

Dr. Tariq
tariqnajmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 03:34 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
What is the backup device?
How is it formatted (file system type and block size).

Be aware that there are numerous flash drives with falsified capacity reporting.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote