Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-09-2024, 12:25 PM   #1
Jackwc
Jackwc began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Bulk Tag Editing (Bulk-adding Prefixes for Heirarchical Tags)

Hi all,

I use hierarchical tags, and had a question: how can I add a prefix to several tags at once? Presently I have prefixes such as "Subject." to sort various tags under -- however, I've got hundreds of tags to add that prefix to. I haven't been able to find a way to do this quickly.

Is there anything I'm missing?
Jackwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 04:03 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
See my response to your other thread.

In my opinion you are misusing hierarchical tags, their primary purpose is to support a Taxonomy, you appear to be trying to overload that usage with an Ontology.

I tried something similar, but with multiple custom columns equating to ontological facets. I eventually abandoned the scheme because the increasing effort to maintain it outweighed the benefits 10:1.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 03:41 PM   #3
Jackwc
Jackwc began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
See my response to your other thread.

In my opinion you are misusing hierarchical tags, their primary purpose is to support a Taxonomy, you appear to be trying to overload that usage with an Ontology.

I tried something similar, but with multiple custom columns equating to ontological facets. I eventually abandoned the scheme because the increasing effort to maintain it outweighed the benefits 10:1.

BR
Hmm... Interesting, I hadn't considered that distinction before. It's definitely been a lot of work, and possibly not even "worth it" as you've said -- but I just can't help that I enjoy the process lol
Jackwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 05:24 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackwc View Post
Hmm... Interesting, I hadn't considered that distinction before. It's definitely been a lot of work, and possibly not even "worth it" as you've said -- but I just can't help that I enjoy the process lol
I know exactly what you mean, I did too. But eventually the challenge of maintaining consistent descriptors became too burdensome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Since I abandoned my scheme a new feature has been added to calibre: Category Notes… the genesis of version 7.

I'm wondering if one could make use of them to do what we want? Thus far I've only used them superficially. I'll look into them a bit deeper to see what I can come up with. They are searchable, via the Browse notes tool; I'm thinking that maybe they'd also need to be linkable via a calibre:// URL verb e.g. note_show.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote