Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-12-2024, 01:20 PM   #31
BonkyBob
BonkyBob began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quoth - no, just win 11 pro with bloatware removed.
BonkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 01:39 PM   #32
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Something is really weird with your W11.
Opening an app direct should not initiate a search and open any file that 'passes' the search.
There are a ton of W11 Calibre users, so this must be something related to de-bloatwareing
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 01:42 PM   #33
BonkyBob

Quite possible.
Fresh install due soon anyway
Old 01-12-2024, 04:48 PM   #34
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@theducks - If it was calibre's autoadd it should delete the files it adds, I just tested it to make sure it does, and it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkyBob View Post
Quite possible.
Fresh install due soon anyway
I may have figured out what's happening: calibre is being started with the path to the most recently accessed file. From the user manual

Quote:
calibre [options] [path_to_ebook or calibre url ...]

Launch the main calibre Graphical User Interface and optionally add the e-book at path_to_ebook to the database.
Windows maintains a directory of shortcuts to the most recently accessed files at: %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\. I am not aware of any way to get the path to the most recently accessed file, but that doesn't mean there isn't a way.

The calibre command will do the same with a shortcut to a file as it does with a direct path to the file… which is as it should be.

How do you start calibre? I would guess via a shortcut on the desktop, taskbar or start menu… or ????.

What happens of you start calibre directly, you do that by double clicking C:\Program Files\Calibre2\calibre.exe?

If that works I suspect there's something peculiar with the shortcut you're using, in which case I suggest you remove it and create a new one:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-13 084229.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	205776

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-12-2024 at 04:53 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 08:43 PM   #35
BonkyBob

BetterRed,
I think you've cracked it! Dragging Calibre.exe to my task bar and it seems to work as it should, no importing on statup.
If i use the shortcut i have - it imports the last file opened.
Still testing but looks promising.
How strange is that?
Why does the portable Calibre do it from a shortcut also?
I'll put it down to a dicky flux capacitor.
Now to sort out your nut..

Last edited by BonkyBob; 01-12-2024 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-12-2024, 08:46 PM   #36
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
BetterRed,
I think you've cracked it! Dragging Calibre.exe to my task bar and it seems to work as it should, no importing on statup.
If i use the shortcut i have - it imports the last file opened.
Still testing but looks promising.
How strange is that?
If you look at the properties of the shortcut that imports files, what does show? Right click on the task bar icon, right click on "The main calibre program", click on Properties. See attached image for what my computer shows.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre_shortcut.png
Views:	22
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	205779  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 08:55 PM   #37
BonkyBob

DNSB,
The shortcut on the task bar is similar to yours, what i have just realised though is that the shortcut i have been using is on my Directory Opus toolbar. That seems to be the culprit.
If i drag the working shortcut from my desktop on to the Directory Opus toolbar is imports on start up.
Old 01-12-2024, 08:57 PM   #38
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If you look at the properties of the shortcut that imports files, what does show? Right click on the task bar icon, right click on "The main calibre program", click on Properties. See attached image for what my computer shows.
Yeah, I'd be interested to see that

BR
Old 01-12-2024, 09:07 PM   #39
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Yeah, I'd be interested to see that

BR
Scratch that… nuff said.

Quote:
DNSB,
The shortcut on the task bar is similar to yours, what i have just realised though is that the shortcut i have been using is on my Directory Opus toolbar. That seems to be the culprit.
If i drag the working shortcut from my desktop on to the Directory Opus toolbar is imports on start up.
IMO Directory Opus is a virus… and I don't say that lightly. They should pay people to use it rather than charge them.

BR
Old 01-13-2024, 05:32 AM   #40
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Maybe 'Directory Opus' isn't a virus, but it's very hyped on Web. I'd not heard of it. It's obviously junky that's accumlated crud in its nearly 30 year history.
More proof that PC World reviews should be taken with a bucket of salt.
Certainly people wouldn't be installing it if Windows Explorer worked properly. Originally on NT 4.0 we kept the multi-pane Windows Filemanager of NT 3.5 and NT 3.51 (similar to Win3.x program). Windows Explorer still has unfixed bugs after nearly 30 years. The Win7 is poorer than XP/2003 and Win10 poorer still. Stupid defaults and daft features added, even adverts for some users.
However I'd ditch 'Directory Opus' and put up with Windows (File) Explorer as it is.
While I do mainly use Linux, I have XP, Win7 and Win 10 VMs on it and put Win10H22 on a spare recently repaired laptop. Despite being designed for Win10 and Win10 serial code in the 'bios' I can't disable the lock screen appearing if the laptop is idle. Account Settings > Sign in Options is a blank window.

I won't be installing 'Directory Opus'. I may install Word & Excel 2007 and the 3rd party classic Menu option I have on one of the VMs. I've loads of unused MS licences!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote