Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-30-2010, 10:09 AM   #16
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
::Boggle::
Rather than complaining that a hacked version of someone's testing version that you got off the darknet doesn't work, you should be amazed that B&N Tech Support took you seriously enough to answer your question, without giving you a stern lecture.

Edit: Unless of course this is now the shipping version of the app, in which case my apologies.

Last edited by Jim Lester; 04-30-2010 at 10:16 AM. Reason: just noticed the timestamp differences
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:51 AM   #17
Piscean
Piscean began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7, Windows Phone, ASUS tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEKKDS View Post
Hmmm... ok, it is quite obvious BN and Microsoft are entirely separate companies. I get that, c'mon. I am only biatchin' about the fact that either one (I don't care who you pick on, though I am more ticked at Microsoft) of them put a software out there that does not function to its entirety. If I purchase a e-book from BN, and I have BN's e-reader, then why on earth would the bookstore's own e-book not be readable from the bookstore's own e-reader?? I bet my BN e-book would probably read on the iPhone/iPad/any other platform's BN e-reader. For whatever shortcomings and sorry reasons, they didn't cover WM.

[...]
In the topic this thread is discussing, Microsoft didn't put any software out there that doesn't function. You're complaining about the B&N software, which Microsoft had nothing to do with. I don't understand why you say you're more ticked at Microsoft for something they had nothing to do with. Are you angry because Windows Mobile is an open system which allows you to put additional software on your devices? If that's your frustration, try the iPad or iPod Touch. You can't put your own stuff on those and everything is blessed by Big Brother Steve so you know it will work.

You are correct in expecting the B&N reader to function, but keep in mind what Jim pointed out. The initial version of this reader is an altered version, tweaked to run on WinMo. If that is the version you are still running, then even B&N shouldn't be held responsible since their software was altered after they shipped it. And since it doesn't completely work, maybe that's why they haven't shipped it yet.

If you want to figure out who is to blame, try the B&N software on your PC. Does it open the book you're trying to open? If not, then the B&N reader is to blame. If it does work, then it's something wrong with the hacked version of the reader.
Piscean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2010, 03:31 PM   #18
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
Edit: Unless of course this is now the shipping version of the app, in which case my apologies.
So far, B&N hasn't released the final Win smartphone app. At this point, the biggest question is: Will they ever. I know I have doubts, and they get bigger every day.

I may not blame MS directly for this, but I do hold MS responsible for doing so little to promote their OS, even as they release a new version and continue to put out new smartphones, that most vendors aren't considering them serious contenders in the OS game anymore.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:31 PM   #19
labad
labad began at the beginning.

Device: BN ereader for windows mobile
Cool HTC HD2

BN ereader came loaded on my new phone and I thought it was the next best thing to string cheese...until the problems started.

To test it out I went to Barnes & Nobles, opened up and account, and downloaded 5 free books. So far so good. Out of the 5 books, two were readable and 3 failed to load after download? What??? Hmmm, so I thought perhaps it was because they were "free" that there were issues. Then I purchased a book for $1.00 and it downloaded fine. But then the lines were scrunched together so it made it hard on the eyes to read. No matter what I did to remedy it via the tools ~ no fix. I even tried uninstalling/re-installing. Still have issues with some books failing to load and others having formatting problems. How disappointing. I hope they fix this stuff.
labad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:27 AM   #20
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Re-eval: B&N Reader

I recently re-opened the B&N Reader, to re-familiarize myself with its current features (Yes, this is still the beta reader app). I discovered that some of the books that I hadn't been able to download before, could be downloaded now... apparently B&N is still working on converting some of its books to function on the reader.

I opened a book that I have been reading on the eReader app, and I can say that when comparing the readability and features of the two apps, I prefer the B&N app. Page-turning was much easier (the eReader app regularly mistook my page-turn tap for a text-select tap, and opened a menu of action choices instead of moving to the next screen), and fonts offer a number of choices and sizes, and look great.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 09:46 AM   #21
nth28801
nth28801 began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Imagio
Frustrations with MS and B&N

I think both companies are worthy targets of our frustration. B&N markets/provides readers for every platform out there other than WM. Microsoft doesn't play nice with all the companies that want to provide something for their customers, so they're both to blame.

Why will B&N not develop a valid reader for WM? They'll take my money for the 10 or so eBooks I've purchased lately, but they won't help me read them in a manner that's convenient for me. Oh, but I can buy a Nook for the same price that I can buy a phone. I see where they're heading...

Right now, they've got me by the, er----neck, but as soon as something better comes along---I'm outta here...
nth28801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:48 AM   #22
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
The same reason Adobe and Amazon doesn't develop one?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #23
nth28801
nth28801 began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Imagio
Adobe and Amazon

Adobe doesn't have anything remotely resembling a real reader for mobile phones, as far as I know. PDF format is not exactly mobile friendly anyway for ANY platform. Amazon only offers the Kindle and doesn't offer a wide range of formats for a reader.

B&N offers EVERY format OTHER than WM. Of course, they may not want to under-cut their own ereader.com business with the outdated and sorely lacking ereader software. At any rate, no matter how you try to excuse it, they clearly do not have "customer service" at the top of their agenda.
nth28801 is offline   Reply With Quote