Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-17-2017, 06:24 PM   #436
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by greens View Post
talking about H2O first model how big was in terms of number of pages the biggest book that you have read with a single battery charge? can one battery charge give you the chance to read a big book as 1500 pages for example?
Sure! As an example, I remember reading "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings" a couple of years ago on a single charge and having more to spare, but much depends on your reading habits. I used to keep the frontlight on very low and even that only when reading in bed, Wi-Fi off, and screen refresh every one or two pages.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:31 PM   #437
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Url Link? I'm on Tapatalk.

Sent from my XT1528
I am surprised that it didn't work. https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_Aura_H2O

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2017, 07:34 PM   #438
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by greens View Post
talking about H2O first model how big was in terms of number of pages the biggest book that you have read with a single battery charge? can one battery charge give you the chance to read a big book as 1500 pages for example?
Yes but reading in kepub is not a good idea. Less text on screen means more page turns. Read in ePub and have a smaller light height.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:35 PM   #439
markyisri
Connoisseur
markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Did the Mini sell well enough to get an edition 2? I know they are popular with some forum members, but I seem to remember and awful lot of really good sales on them like Kobo was trying to move them out. How popular were they at full price I wonder.
The best little ereader!

You can do alot of stuff besides ereading with them, after you install Android on them of course (which has been done).
markyisri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:54 AM   #440
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes but reading in kepub is not a good idea. Less text on screen means more page turns. Read in ePub and have a smaller light height.
Just opened a kepub, and the smallest line height is uncomfortably small for me. I like it better one or two up from minimum. Plus, kepubs have faster page turns and better highlighting. Your first sentence is an inappropriate generalisation.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2017, 03:58 AM   #441
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
I hate small line heights personally. I actually use a font that has long ascenders to increase the line height and have a lineheight larger than 1.

For me, kepub has one huge drawback: headers and footers. I want a footer (to show the percentage read) but not a header.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:22 AM   #442
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I am surprised that it didn't work. https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_Aura_H2O

Dale
Thanks! I see the screen resolution hasn't changed. Same PPI.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:27 AM   #443
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
What's the problem with more page turns? I dislike more too "crowded" text.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:29 AM   #444
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
page turn = battery useage. So, the less page turns, the longer you can do with the battery. That's the only reason I can think of having more page turns is bad...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:53 AM   #445
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
page turn = battery useage. So, the less page turns, the longer you can do with the battery. That's the only reason I can think of having more page turns is bad...
As I never have taken into account battery consumption (if it fits into MY reasonable terms), I guess it doesn't matter.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:57 AM   #446
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
I too like some space between the lines. Minimum line heights are too crowded for my taste. And kepubs have other advantages, like faster page turning, the ability to double-tap on an image to view it fullscreen, and seeing how much time is left in the current chapter. The header and footer don't bother me at all, and if I am worried about how many times I am turning the page, I am not concentrating on whatever I am reading.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:36 AM   #447
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
With patches I can get a kepub to look like what I liked epubs to look like when I was reading epubs.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:06 PM   #448
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
The problem with kepub is that in order not to have a problem with the last line you are forced to have a largish line height. Also, when you set kepub to display with better typesetting, it does sometimes get the hyphenation incorrect.

There are a number of display issues with kepub that ePub doesn't have and ePub can give us more of a choice on how we won't our text to look.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:08 PM   #449
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
With patches I can get a kepub to look like what I liked epubs to look like when I was reading epubs.
With patches, it's impossible to get kepub to look like what I like ePub to look. Problem is too many display bugs.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:10 PM   #450
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
With patches, it's impossible to get kepub to look like what I like ePub to look. Problem is too many display bugs.
Sounds like a personal problem, rather than a software rendering problem. So your initial statement about kepub vs epub is not correct.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote