Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-06-2017, 04:22 AM   #346
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4nder View Post
Does the new H2O have a capacitive or IR touch screen?
The reviews and comments in this thread say IR.
Quote:
Kobo has been moving to blurry capacitive screens lately.
Huh? They have two device with capacitive screen. One introduced last year. The other in 2013 (I think). The H2O2 is the fifth IR device they have introduced in the same time. If they are moving to capacitive touch, they are taking lessons from a glacier.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 04:38 AM   #347
s4nder
Connoisseur
s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Ah, good to hear. I had the uninformed impression all their new devices had capacitive touch by now.
s4nder is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2017, 06:18 AM   #348
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
... I'll let you imagine what tapping "Authors" does
Quote:
Yes, that is a better picture. And if it was for sorting, it would be in the wrong place.
Well then, I'm going to guess and say that the "Authors" tag will show the authors name as collections, and each collection will store the books of that author.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:21 AM   #349
Raymond73
Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Aura H2O, Tolino Vision 3HD, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura ONE
I have a review copy of the Aura H2O Edition 2. It has firmware versie 4.4.9193 and the new home screen. Unfortunately i have to wait for Calibre to catch up because even with the 'try to support new firmware versions' setting activated, Calibre doesn't recognize the new Aura H2O.
Raymond73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:06 AM   #350
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@raymond73 Ah... The old unknown USB device issue as opposed to the wrong DB version problem.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2017, 08:10 PM   #351
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond73 View Post
I have a review copy of the Aura H2O Edition 2. It has firmware versie 4.4.9193 and the new home screen. Unfortunately i have to wait for Calibre to catch up because even with the 'try to support new firmware versions' setting activated, Calibre doesn't recognize the new Aura H2O.
As PeterT said, the issue it this has a new device id. It should be in the next calibre release.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:04 PM   #352
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
I've been comparing weight respective to the reading surface, with 6" as a base (basically, by multiplying by 6 squared and dividing by the diagonal squared of each device):

Glo HD = 180 gr
Aura H2o = 181 gr
Aura H2o edition 2 = 161 gr
Aura One = 136 gr.

I get that the One got a smaller battery (hence a shorter reading autonomy) to reduce weight, with a very effective result, but I understood the edition 2 had a shorter reading autonomy, so deduced a smaller battery too. If it is true (very little information so far), the weight reduction is much less impressive.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:01 PM   #353
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
I've been comparing weight respective to the reading surface, with 6" as a base (basically, by multiplying by 6 squared and dividing by the diagonal squared of each device):

Glo HD = 180 gr
Aura H2o = 181 gr
Aura H2o edition 2 = 161 gr
Aura One = 136 gr.

I get that the One got a smaller battery (hence a shorter reading autonomy) to reduce weight, with a very effective result, but I understood the edition 2 had a shorter reading autonomy, so deduced a smaller battery too. If it is true (very little information so far), the weight reduction is much less impressive.
FCC documentation states the battery is the same 1500mAH capacity as the original H2O's battery. The H2O 2dn Ed. battery may be a bit lighter due to manufacturing improvements but most likely very close to the same weight.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:31 PM   #354
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
There is no real indication of the battery life of the Aura H2O2. Kobo have stated the life differently. All the previous devices state either 1 month or 2 months. Kobo have now uses something like "weeks of reading" with no info on what that really means. Based on what info we do have, and my wild-assed guess, the H2O2 is probably going to be longer than the Aura ONE but not as long as the original H2O.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:52 AM   #355
Raymond73
Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raymond73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Aura H2O, Tolino Vision 3HD, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
As PeterT said, the issue it this has a new device id. It should be in the next calibre release.
I assumed it would be but it's nice to know the reason why it doesn't work now. Thanks!
Raymond73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:11 PM   #356
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I am a little disappointed that they're still using the i.MX6 processors. Still though, glad to see that there will be a replacement H2O should something catastrophic happen to mine. (I find the size of the H2O ideal for my usage.)
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:04 PM   #357
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
while i agree with Kobo that doubling the internal storage from 4GB to 8GB is a good positive step forward on the new H2O, the 8GB will be more like 6GB available to the user.

it's also very predictable on there part that once again they decide to do away with the external micro SD card slot that as a possible 32GB of available storage, therefore it's rather counter productive imho

there will be many that have never used the external micro SD card slot and probably never would have done so, but that doesn't mean it isn't used by some considering it was on 5 previous Kobo e-readers including 2 of mine.

it's obviously a cost cutting decision by Kobo one which as you can tell leaves rather a bitter taste in my mouth and always will.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:43 PM   #358
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
I have a small library compared to many here, it's only some 1200ish books. That takes 1.5gb of space. So 6gb would be about 4800 books. Give or take, especially since a number of the books are sets of multiple books as a single file. Even assuming I read a book/day it would take me 13 years to finish of 4800 books. I'm ok with Kobo saving some money on the SD card slot, I do wish they kept it since it's nice not having to reload all of my ebooks if I reset my Kobo, but it's not really a big deal.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:45 PM   #359
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
while i agree with Kobo that doubling the internal storage from 4GB to 8GB is a good positive step forward on the new H2O, the 8GB will be more like 6GB available to the user.
It is more likely to be about 7.3GB available. It's unlikely to be any more used by the system partitions than on your Kobo Aura.

Of course, if someone with a review of the version of the H2O2 version can check that would be better and we would know accurately. Or, if someone with an Aura ONE will check on that, then we will know with about 99.999% certainty what is available on the Aura H2O2.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:56 PM   #360
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
It is more likely to be about 7.3GB available. It's unlikely to be any more used by the system partitions than on your Kobo Aura.

Of course, if someone with a review of the version of the H2O2 version can check that would be better and we would know accurately. Or, if someone with an Aura ONE will check on that, then we will know with about 99.999% certainty what is available on the Aura H2O2.
sounds like a good plan one thing we do know (100%) for sure it won't be 32GB.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote